ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NKG spark plugs ? or can i use somethiing else ?

Megane R26
Im going to be doing a sevice on my 172 pretty soon ... im pretty sure the plugs in are the originals so might aswell change them even though its only done 61k

I know everybody says to use the NKG but they are damn expensive compared to say bosch super 4 ?(4 times the price):eek:

Is there any reason why i should use the NKG ? will i actualy notice any difference between the two ?

Thanks John

Megane R26
Ebay prices :

NKG = £35
Bosch = £12

so there is a big price difference isnt there ? ... is there actually any difference ?

ITB'd MK1
the 74k thing is bullshit. I've changed a lot of them as low as 30k and they're completely worn out

Yes there's a difference, bosch are crap quality. If you want a cheaper option, use NGK BCP6ES, and gap them to 1mm

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
the 74k thing is bulls**t. I've changed a lot of them as low as 30k and they're completely worn out

Yes there's a difference, bosch are crap quality. If you want a cheaper option, use NGK BCP6ES, and gap them to 1mm

Agree lol but mines running fine so will be leaving them till 72k.

Megane R26
I now everybody says to use the NKG , but i couldnt find any facts for why to use them over a cheaper plug ?

If i use a cheaper plug and it lasts say 30k ... and the NKG is going to last say 40k .. then you would be better off using the cheaper plugs eve though you would have to change them a little bit more often . the money doesnt bother me .. its wasting money on something wich i wont notice a difference on .

ive used the search function and cant find any evidence that cheap plugs make your car run bad ?

other than going against the CS way is there any reason not to use them ?

Megane R26
ok so how are the bosh crap quality ?
and how are the NKG better ?

fitting a crap quality plug may be against the grain but if the car is going to run exactly the same whats the point ?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
FLOL .. OK, so don't listen to the experts above .. you clearly know better than the guys who do it day in / day out.

Buy some SmartPrice plugs from Asda and let us know how it goes !

FML why ask if all you are going to do is not listen.

NGK is what's recommended, cheaper plugs might do the job, but the NGK's do it better.

It's your call what you buy! But £12 for 4 spark plugs!! LOL, cheaper isn't always better.

Megane R26
I think the point is they don't work.

why dont they work ? if you see nobody has given any real proof that they dontwork other than syaing fit NKG because thats what everybody else says .

id say bosch isnt the worst make out there ... there windcreen wipers are the best so why arnt there plugs worth a shot seing as they are a quarter of the price ?

i am asking a perfectly logical question seing as the country is in ruins with this recesion , if i can save £30 and my car runs exactly the same then why not ?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
The point everyones making is that the car wont run the same, as in the bosch will leas to ur car miss firing

53 Clio's & counting
When renaultsport designed the f4r for the clio's it was designed specifically with this plug as part of the desigbln - im sure Fred has a copy of a spec sheet from Renaultsport specifically stating not to use anything else - remember the plug has length, heat range, design of end tip etc all designed for a reason - iv used super 4s and just as Danny said, it missfired - using another plug could end at best a missfire, at worst causing some serious damage.the experts are saying this for a reason dude - tried and tested.plus, as far as main stream engines go, it is in a fairly high state of tune - in the espace this engine only made 136bhp - why would you want an inferior plug that will save you £15 every two years?

Megane R26
When renaultsport designed the f4r for the clio's it was designed specifically with this plug as part of the desigbln - im sure Fred has a copy of a spec sheet from Renaultsport specifically stating not to use anything else - remember the plug has length, heat range, design of end tip etc all designed for a reason - iv used super 4s and just as Danny said, it missfired - using another plug could end at best a missfire, at worst causing some serious damage.

the experts are saying this for a reason dude - tried and tested

Thankyou that is what i wanted ... somebody with hard evidence and first hand experience

i will give cheap plugs a miss then

53 Clio's & counting
Just to explain a bit further John, i had a missfire, and removed my plugs (they had done approx 35k) and they didnt look great - i had some super4's i bought of ebay as i too did wonder if you really needed the expensive plugs, so i fitted them and it ran with a missfire every few seconds - easiest way i can put it is when you start to run out of fuel - so i bought the proper ngk's and it ran back to normal - as Danny said, realistically id be changing them every 30k ish.

when i removed the super 4's, i must have done about 50 miles on them and they came out black - it must have been running very badly to cause that - i also spoke to my local Renault garage ( who was onto Renault UK about some tie rods for my Clio) and i asked them to confirm - they came back and confirmed that Renautsport said the right ngk's must be used.(PF6RE-10's from memory)

hope that helps

ITB'd MK1
read what I posted, twice.

I've given you a cheap alternative made by NGK. These are what I will run in my own 172, they are what I use in my throttle bodied mk1. The PFR6e-10 is simply the long life version

Megane R26
Thanks russ ....

and danny can i buy those plugs allready spaced to 1mm ? or will i need to get my feeler gauges out and set it ?

cheers

Lionel Richie
Sorry Danny but the 6ES are crap too, thrown a lot of them in the bin

did you read the bit about the F4R engine having higher piston speeds than an F1 engine? 26m/sec, there's the issue

Evo 5 RS
Everything I've used apart from the NGKR has found it's way out or melted at least once, just use what you're meant to or sell up tbh!!!

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
did you read the bit about the F4R engine having higher piston speeds than an F1 engine? 26m/sec, there's the issue

Seriously???

Lionel Richie
speak to mr TDF (ex cosworth F1, he mapped/did all the data for the the current cosworth F1 engines) i think he should know ;)

ITB'd MK1
Sorry Danny but the 6ES are crap too, thrown a lot of them in the bin

I've run 300hp+ turbo engines on them. I've run them in mk1 valvers, 172's, 182's and a trophy (which still has them in, running perfectly)

As far as plug grade goes they are EXACTLY the same

the thing some people forget when running a copper core equivalent is you MUST run a resistor type plug. The R in the code is imperative

Clio Cup Racer
Ive got Denso Iridiums in mine. Had major problems since but probably not down to the spark plugs.

Think I will get a set of the NGK.