ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon D7100 is here at last

Seems a long time since the D7000 was released.

The D7100 has finally arrived...

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/n...atedata\en_GB\news_article\data\GB-NR-2102132

Highlights include 51 point AF system, 24.1MP, crop function, new sensor.

NOt sure if its worth upgrading of you have a D7000, but certainly a big step up from the 3000 & 5000 series.

Price is £1099 body only and £1299 with 18-105 VR.

I was intending to buy a Pentax K5 II this week, but this camera has made me think twice.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Interesting. I wonder if D7000 prices will drop further? I may be tempted in a few months if so.

I assume its the same toshiba sensor as in the 5200, should be the best crop camera out on the market!

More megapixels = better low light performance! Strange but true!!!

Completly new sensor apparantly. Still seems there is a lot of Dissapointed Nikon fans with this release if you check talk photography and the current previews out there.

Decided to stick with my K5 IIs purchase.

G51 BEN
JJ, can you give me your thoughts on the K5 if you have got it yet? I am looking at a number of Canons, Nikons and maybe the K5...

JJ, can you give me your thoughts on the K5 if you have got it yet? I am looking at a number of Canons, Nikons and maybe the K5...

I love it lol. It may not be the highest spec, it may only have 16mp and 11 AF points, but after testing loads of cameras it just came out on top.

Its quite compact, but the build is top quality. The grip was just the best I tried and all the controls just fell in to place. It will not be suited to everyone as its a very personal choice.

IQ is up there with the best and the new focus system is quick, even in low light.

I have the IIs model, which in nearly all reviews has got the top award.

I recommend giving it a try, you might just like it a lot.

Silverstone GP
Bought my D7000 two weeks ago despite the new arrival, the extra £400 for the D7100 seemed steep for the scant advantages the camera would allow an (enthusiastic) amateur user to enjoy. Better to spend the 400 quid on a new lens I reasoned, f2.8 105mm macro on the way!

Golf GTD Mk7
For me, it's not a big enough jump. I'm in the process of changing my d7000, but it will be for full frame only. If I was looking to upgrade from a d5100/d3200 etc, i'd pay the extra for the updated tech in the d7100.

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
I currently have the D300 and the D7000, I was hoping the D7100 would have a flip out LCD screen, but unfortunately not (no longer a gimmick to me, very useful now).

I will be upgrading my D300 to the D7100, Onestop-digital (HK) do it for £879 Body only and pay all import duties/tax. Most of my lenses come from HK so I am not fussed about 'grey' Imports. Their warranty refunds shipping costs anyway.

If I were to leap to FX then I would have to sell all my gear to fund FX lenses and 2 bodies (need 2 for press & weddings). For me the D7100 is a must.

Other reviews are mixed.

Any links to less than positive reviews? I've read a few pages worth via Google and the general consensus appears to be that it's the pretty much best APS-C on the market.

I'm now healthy enough to own a DSLR again (too weak for heavy kit for the past year) so I'm considering the D7100, but the DX line-up is pretty poor, Nikon seem to be pushing FX now, and there is no excuse for holding back on GPS when their compacts now include it.

The Sony A77 is winning for me at the moment as I want GPS and a very solid general zoom for travel, with a good motorsport lens option. It has a stunning kit lens (16-50mm 2.8), GPS built in and the best mid-range super-telephoto lens available (70-400mm G). For £2k with those two lens I can't build anything vaguely as good from Canon or Nikon.

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
The thing about all the reviews are they compare it to the D5200 and the Pentax KII, which is fine. Unless you have non motorised lenses or full Nikon gear.

All my lenses are Tokina, non of which (in my collection) have built in focusing motors, which means I am unable to use it on a D5200. I wouldn't want to use the D5200 either as I prefer bigger cameras. I appreciate the Pentax KII trumps it on low noise, which is what I would of liked in the D7100 but I rarely use above ISO 3200, usually maxing out at ISO 2000. So if anything, the difference at that level isn't going to be much.

If I were to opt for a Pentax, I would have to either sell EVERYTHING I own or buy a load more kit on top of the body of the KII.

This isn't possible for me. I would like to wait for the D400 if it were ever to be released, but as the release price for the D7100 was £1,100, this was the same price as the D300 when I bought it new, so I expect the D400 will be £1,300+ which is something I can't currently budget for either.

I have read that low light focussing is wayyy better than the D7000, which is great. I love my D7000 and if it matches mid ISO performance of the 5200, then I am happy.

Give it a couple of years and I might fork out for a D400 (if it has been released!).

Give it a couple of years and I might fork out for a D400 (if it has been released!).

I personally feel it's very, very unlikely that a camera in the D200/300/300s line will appear. The price difference between the top of DX and bottom of FX is just too small for further bodies, they would be tinkering with features to squeeze it in and not undermine 'entry FX' sales. Plus their primary focus appears to be fleshing out the FX range of lenses now.

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
Yeah, I kind of agree, the best improvements over the D7100 for the D400 would be higher buffer capacity, better video with adjustable aperture whilst filming, better noise handling and errr, well thats it. Obviously it will be bigger with better button selection placing but I cant see of a massive jump.

The D7100 51 point AF is the best thing for me. If the D7000 had that, I wouldn't be upgrading!

I have just bought a Sony a77, upgraded from my a65. I would agree the 7100 is overall a better camera but a fixed LCD doesn't suit my shooting style, oddly a real deal breaker for me. I didn't get the excellent 16-50 as I have the Carl zeiss 16-80 which offers better range, slightly better corner sharpness but loses out on weather sealing, Ssm focus and f2.8!

Golf GTD Mk7
Nope, afraid not. Think he is the most biased reviewer I have come across TBH!

I can see where you are coming from, however the depth of review, which lets face it, is beyond what most people need to know is admirable. I always give his stuff a read, although I find FroKnows more to point, dispute his quirky methods

First one the focus screen was not aligned properly meaning the camera would not focus on far left or right focus points - no matter what lens/focal length was attached. New one they sent me is just focussing slowly and struggling in the centre - even in good light.

I have just bought a Sony a77, upgraded from my a65. I would agree the 7100 is overall a better camera but a fixed LCD doesn't suit my shooting style, oddly a real deal breaker for me. I didn't get the excellent 16-50 as I have the Carl zeiss 16-80 which offers better range, slightly better corner sharpness but loses out on weather sealing, Ssm focus and f2.8!

Ooooh interesting, I just placed my order for the a77 and 16-50 2.8. Where did you get yours from? I've wanted GPS for years so looking forward to that, and having owned two bodies with swivel LCDs I can't not have it anymore, for the price with its feature set and that good a kit lens there is nothing to touch it imo.

I'm utterly torn with which motorsport lens to buy, I can't decide if the 70-300mm G SSM will be fine (compact enough to go travelling with me as well) or to get the 80-400mm G SSM (too big for anything else, but a complete weapon). Leaning towards the 70-300 as I can always use the Smart Teleconvertor function for extra reach.

Golf GTD Mk7
depends what you shoot, and which ranges you use more of. If you're going for the 7100 then the 35mm f1.8 works well on it, as does the 70-300mm VR (105-405mm on dx). I also have the 28-70mm f2.8 which is nice and fast focusing, albeit a little heavy. Depends on how much you have to play with.

My original options were:

nikon 16-85vr and 70-300vr

or

tamron 17-50 f2.8 and 70-300vc

plus of course 35mm or 50mm

Tamron lenses I'm just not sure about as never used them before and heard mixed reviews.

Golf GTD Mk7
Personally I would rather pay more and get OE lenses, plus they hold their value for resale. 24-120mm f4.0 might not be a bad shout

Ooooh interesting, I just placed my order for the a77 and 16-50 2.8. Where did you get yours from? I've wanted GPS for years so looking forward to that, and having owned two bodies with swivel LCDs I can't not have it anymore, for the price with its feature set and that good a kit lens there is nothing to touch it imo.

I'm utterly torn with which motorsport lens to buy, I can't decide if the 70-300mm G SSM will be fine (compact enough to go travelling with me as well) or to get the 80-400mm G SSM (too big for anything else, but a complete weapon). Leaning towards the 70-300 as I can always use the Smart Teleconvertor function for extra reach.

Sony themselves mate,

​as for your lens decision, either is a good choice but the 70-400 is legendary so it depends on budget!

Still torn myself as the 17-50 f2.8 gets pretty good reviews and the 70-300vc is getting a lot of praise, especially at 300mm where its sharper than the nikon.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I’d get the Tamrons, the 17-50 gives you that 2.8 constant aperture and the 70-300 gives you better performance than the Nikon version, it’s a no brainer for me.

What's the focus speed on the Tamron like? I know it only has a micro motor so just wondering how it compares to a Nikon AF-S in the real world. YouTube brings up some pointless tests!

Is missing the 50-70mm range a big deal?

Some interesting reviews from 'thatnikonguy' on you tube on the Tamron 70-300. He says the VC is the best yet and then compares it to the 70-200 f2.8 at the same aperture an the 70-300 came out sharper.

The tamron 17-50 on my sony body used the internal motor and it was good! Micro motors won't be as good.
I now have the tamron 70-200 2.8.

The 70-300 is wide open at f5.6 at 200mm and does benefit from stoping down to f8 for max sharpness. Compare a £2000 lens and a kit lens at f8 and there's little difference once stopped down so hard.

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
Finally ordered a D7100 from Onestop Digital (HK Company) last night, it has been shipped and should get it for Friday :)

Got it for £879.99 (including import fees) which is about a £100 saving. Also just ordered a MB-D15 grip from Germany.

Gonna play with my D7000 & this and see how they perform together :)

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
That's fair. The company do refund return postage (and have a good online record for doing so). Most of my kit is from HK anyway, been buying Far East goods for about 6 years so I have no problem doing it. A bit different with a DSLR, more to go wrong with than a lens but all of my cameras from Nikon have been fine *touching wood.