ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newsdemon or Giganews

I'm moving away from UNS again, and would like some Cliosport opinions on the best provider. As per title, but open to suggestions. Cost isn't a major factor. Has to be 20 pipes, SSL, and with good completion and retention. I'm currently swinging towards Giganews TBH.

Thanks for any input :)

Scirocco GT 2.0
Using Giganews at the moment, have no problems with it so far.

Using Virgin Media newsgroup server which also isn't bad.

VaVa
Been with Giganews for a few months now... no problems and the 240 day retention has come in handy a few times.

I'm only on the mid package mind.... 35GB a month iirc... although I like the fact if you're coming close to it (which I have once) you can just pay anotherr £7 or whatever for another 35GB. Which is nice.

Sweet, thanks for the input guys. I've just signed up to the top-tier package. 20 connections should help max out my 20mb line. I'm going to download the internet later so apologies in advance if Cliosport slows down a bit :D

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm on the top Giganews package and think it's great. All I need to do now is find a alternative to Newzbin for nzb searches.

im on newsdeamon, been fine ever since i started with them. Wish they had more of a retention rate but its bareable

Scirocco GT 2.0
Sweet, thanks for the input guys. I've just signed up to the top-tier package. 20 connections should help max out my 20mb line. I'm going to download the internet later so apologies in advance if Cliosport slows down a bit :D

+1 :cool:
Still waiting for them to install 50mb in our area :dapprove:

335i M SPORT!!!!
I'm with newsdemon been great so far, had About a years good use with them 20 ssl connection.... try nzbmatrix for nzb's also

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i can't say about the other but i use giganews and it's very good, although sometimes i notice my connection isn't maxing out, although i'm not sure if it's my bb provider or giganews...

In the interest of anyone who stumbles upon this thread through searching;

Since I've been using Giganews, I don't think I've had to download a single PAR file. The completion is immense, and I've regularly been downloading stuff that's way older than 200 days so the completion & retention is rock solid. To top it all off I just had an email from them saying that retention is increasing to 365 days.

Giganews = massive portions of usenet win. First Best Usenet Provider Ever.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Newsleecher seems to complete well too, but im not a hardcore d/ler

Clio 172mk2
news daemon, newsleach with supersearch, thats main things i use

u`ll get 2mb sec untill u hit virgins daily limit then its down to 600ksec

AK

M240i
im using giganews .. they've just annouced 365 days retention too..

Last edited:
  GW RS200
In the interest of anyone who stumbles upon this thread through searching;

Since I've been using Giganews, I don't think I've had to download a single PAR file. The completion is immense, and I've regularly been downloading stuff that's way older than 200 days so the completion & retention is rock solid. To top it all off I just had an email from them saying that retention is increasing to 365 days.

Giganews = massive portions of usenet win. First Best Usenet Provider Ever.

What are you downloading? Is it better not to ask?! Surely that kind of data consumption is more than its even possible to watch/use?!

GW RS200
Well, I assume it's something that takes hours rather than minutes, else you would be happy to wait on a slower connection, and you are maxing out a 20mb line, so I dunno, anything between 5-20 gigs an evening I guess?! It's a fair assumption that it's a vast amount or you are very, very impatient; one or the other. And you *did* say you were planning on downloading the internet, Roy :p

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Just looking through my usage history on giganews..

Biggest month I downloaded 358GB lol

Total since joining is 4.8TB pmsl..

Well, I assume it's something that takes hours rather than minutes, else you would be happy to wait on a slower connection, and you are maxing out a 20mb line, so I dunno, anything between 5-20 gigs an evening I guess?! It's a fair assumption that it's a vast amount or you are very, very impatient; one or the other. And you *did* say you were planning on downloading the internet, Roy :p

Speed or data content was not part of my comments though. Speed is down to my ISP, and content is down to my preferences. Completion and retention are the two most hugely important factors in a usenet provider, no matter what speed your connection is. All providers will max out a 20mb line no problem anyway.

PS. I download the internets at least once a week, sometimes thrice ;)