ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newman camshafts!!

Clio 182 FF inferno
Anybody on here ever used Newman cams? They are used a lot by 106 gti owners and vts owners and some fords with great results and I just got a good quote from a Northampton based tuner that a lot of my mates have used with their fords but they also do Clios and I was wondering if anybody on here has used them on there F4R(172 or 182) and what gains they got

Apparently they were used on the old F7P/F7R engine too

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Always had good experiences with Newman. Didn't think they did F4R cams though. Not in their catalogue anyway, maybe its not been updated.

Clio 182 FF inferno
Always had good experiences with Newman. Didn't think they did F4R cams though. Not in their catalogue anyway, maybe its not been updated.

Yeh I check their catalogue too and noticed that but according to JamSport they do so I'm going to be calling Newman tomorrow

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I might do the same. Is be interested to see what they offer. I did a group buy with them a couple of years ago, £275 inc vat for a pair of cams and delivery

Clio 182 FF inferno
I might do the same. Is be interested to see what they offer. I did a group buy with them a couple of years ago, £275 inc vat for a pair of cams and delivery

If you speak to them be sure to put it up on this thread mate

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Highly regarded on the ford scene. No idea they did cams for the f4r?

Clio 182 FF inferno
A friend had a set of these snap on him, not in a clio though.

They can snap when you use regrinds and newman offer regrinds for certain cars if ya can't be bothered to pay for the billet, but they don't offer regrinds on Clios anyways

Clio 182 FF inferno
Spoken to Newman camshafts today and they don't make cams for the F4R so I'm going to speak to JamSport to find out

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Who supply's and fits piper cams? Gains as good as the catcam 438s

I'm planning on trialing these new shims they've come up with. I deal with piper a fair amount for other things, so I can get their cams, I just havn't done for the F4R as they were always noisy. Good cam profile if they've fixed the noisy lifter problem.

I'm planning on trialing these new shims they've come up with. I deal with piper a fair amount for other things, so I can get their cams, I just havn't done for the F4R as they were always noisy. Good cam profile if they've fixed the noisy lifter problem.

hopefully good results, then there's another profile about for people wanting to do it on a smaller budget

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I've had good experiences with piper reprofiled cams before, I had shims supplied with them for my ST170 engine and it made good figures.

I have a Newman cam in the mini. It works well, and the service was excellent. ordered one day, was profiled, and in my hand by 10am the next morning

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
What are the various options out there and what can you expect from them?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Mild (uprated inlet cam and standard exhaust cam): Catcams 428 £600, Prima INR £300, GT £400-500. Or you could pick up a used set of Clio 197 cams for £100-150.

Bit more aggressive are the Piper BP270, these are reprofiled standard cams with shims. £360

Then Catcams 421, 438 £500, C&B, ED £500

After that there'll be more work involved in fitting them, head mods like catcams rockers and bigger piston cutouts

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
What's a good road set up? That doesn't sacrifice too much low down torque?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I've gone for the Pipers as they give good gains for the money compared with some of the others but I know a few guys are happy with the 421/438 Catcams which are a bit more aggressive that the 428 Catcams. A few of the traders on here do them along with a remap to suit.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Yes. They come with a shim kit now though to go under the lifters. This resolves issues they had previously being a bit noisy.

I've run regrinds on two cars previously too with no issue :)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I'm sending some in this week so I can try a set with this new shim kit, then if i'm happy I'll get a few sets re-profiled so they're on the shelf and ready to go

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You had them fitted yet?

No I sent them in the end of last week so I'll fit them as soon as I get them back as the dephaser needs changing.

clio_dude gave them some good feedback so I'll give them a go :)

Have a search on here for Piper vs 428 . Apart from being noisy they were good but it sounds like this shim kit they include rectifies that. Hopefully they'll be great :)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure, I've got an RS tuner unlocked now and I was going to get a custom map from Fastchip. They would probably run fine on a generic remap though.

There are no tuners around here to do a custom map so a remote one is the only option. As for checking its running ok there are a couple of good rolling roads around and I can do before/after results.

Clio 182 FF inferno
I'm sending some in this week so I can try a set with this new shim kit, then if i'm happy I'll get a few sets re-profiled so they're on the shelf and ready to go

Dan is there much difference between the piper cams and 438s? What's the difference on power and difference in prices fitted and mapped

Thanks

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Don't have data until I've tried them. My guess is they'll be better value for money but smaller gains, should be decent but it's been literally years since I've seen a set in an F4R

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Dan,

I don't know how much experience you have of maps by A: RS Tuning or B: custom Henk map.

To gauge the difference of the cams I was going to take my car to a local dyno dynamics RR with matched inlets, 182 manifold, ktec sports cat, ktec cat back and RS tuner map. Then fit the cams and map them by A or B. Afterwards I'd dyno the car again.

Map A would include before and after runs so save doing that. However it would be £245+vat + 260 miles fuel and other bits.
Map B I'd have to pay extra for before and after runs but only 100euro for the map.

Is there much advantage with one or the other?