ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NEWBIE WITH A 182

silver clio 182
Hi all, newbie here!!! Had the clio in the garage for the last 2 years on sorn, while i played with a 04 blobeye scooby, sold that now so the 182,s back playing out!
Thought it was only me with a globby steering wheel till i read some of these threads...
Its done 50k and i had it "superchipped" 2 years ago, realised now how lumpy and surgey it runs on slow speed and idle, any ideas anyone? Is it the superchip remap?
Oh, another point, can any body explain about this "defhasing" thinggy?
Cheers and thanks !!!!

Passat
The dephaser causing a rough idle you mean? Don't know how you can keep a car garaged for so long. What a waste

silver clio 182
sorry no, dont think so anyway , two questions really, any ideas about the lumpy idle and could it be related to the superchip remap? and a second random question , what is the dephaser alot of threads are commenting on?? cheers Filippo.
Car was on sorn for over two years while i had my Scooby, glad to get the Clio back on the road, but it feels very underpowered at the higher revs now!!! Better round town though!

silver clio 182
cheers mate, mite consider having it remapped that way?? LW is right about the bag of spanners symptoms :approve:

53 Clio's & counting
The dehaser is a cambelt pulley that adjusts the timing via oil pressure.

When the car misses oil changes/has poor quality oil, it can wear the dephaser and it rattles louding on idle when warm, but goes quiet over 1700 rpm (the dephaser adjusts the timing at 1650 rpm and 6500 rpm)

Hi :)

silver clio 182
Hello and thanks for that Russ,presume its the controller for the vairable valve timing? so the only maintenance required to avoid those nasty big bills is to change oil reg, with good semi synth lube?
btw , how do u know if the system is working?? mine seems underpowered at full pull, or has the scooby spoilt me!:S

53 Clio's & counting
Yes it adjusts the timing basically dude, and yes keep the oil a good quality and changed regularly and your dephaser shouldnt give too much trouble, though when is the cambelt next due? For the sake of an extra £150 every 5 years id change it when you get the belts done.

Normally when they wear they rattle on idle, but once they engage (circa 1650rpm) they shut up, so if yours is quiet id say it is probably ok.

I expect the Scoody has spolt you (if its over 280bhp that is) a standard ish Scoob shouldnt feel too much faster.

Though saying that, when was the cambelt last done and by who mate? They need correct locking tools to get the timing right, and its very common for the timing to be out, which will knock you back to 145-150bhp

silver clio 182
cheers Russ, its just done 50k and not had the belt done yet, im planning on having it done very soon.
wonder if apparent low torque and lumpy idle could be related to what u suggest??, I'll report back following surgery! Cheers mate..:)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
i would advise you dont drive the car untill the belts are changed mate. 50k is rarther high i think and it could go at any minute not a risk worth taking tbh.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
i thought it was recomended at like 40k :s well mine was done at like 38k or something so either way i wouldnt want to be driving around in it.

Mk5 golf gti
5 years it should be done or 72k whatever comes first

so yea it needs to be done

a good service usually brings the car back up to full health :)