ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with 182 but not impressed??

Hi, ive just bought an 05 clio 182 done 27k one owner, the car is lovely however i dont think its very quick.

Ok you notice the cam at 5000 but its just not exciting, so now im thinking there maybe something wrong with it

It does hold back from cold and is slightly rough on tick over so is this the problem?, there are no lights on although and it doesnt seem to want to go anywhere near 130mph 110 and im board.

Now ive driven a fair few cars but havnt had a fast car for at least 1 year the last being a corrado with a 1.8t 20v in it.

I hope there is something wrong with is otherwise id be gutted any help would be great.

One last thing whats the differance between the 182 and the 182 cup?

Porsche Boxster987S
at first i had a small feeling about this with mine. so i gave it full power a few times and each time ive managed to hit 140mph on the speedo (not accurate). After this ive sort of accepted i was imagining it. Have you tried to get the top end out of it??

they do hold back from cold, as i thought this was like a safety feature?

And they are lump on idle i think thats normal aswell.

IMO the car is more of a B road blaster rather than straight line speed, after coming from something with 250bhp/tone to my clio it felt very slow in straight line, but when i took it throught he twisties, this is where its in its element :):)

Fiesta ST
Get yourself on some nice B roads - and drive the balls off it and I bet your smiling at the end of it (or dead)

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
they are revvy cars, very different to the 1.8t engine, you need to work the backside off them... but thats half the fun

Porsche Boxster987S
Ive never thrashed it top end just gave up really shall have to try it. I guess it sounds preety normal then
just take it out when its quiet (early morning) and boot it. see how it does. if your not get to 120 in a decent time there could be a problem. But they aint no lambos so . . .

Black Ph2 172
my car is also lumpy at idle and literally feels like it has 60o bhp when i drive it from cold!!! as has been said let it warm up properly and then gun it!

Ph1
Should be quicker than a 1.8 20v turbo (stock powerd one)

2 points to note. Your engine is quite young with 27k on the clock. They usually need about mid 30's / 40k's to really open up.

Also Clio Sports dont feel as quick as what they are. Could be to do with the high driving position.

You could always get it RR'd to check it all out

Coming out of any averge motor and into a 1*2, the superior grunt should be immediately apparent. Provided the example is up to snuff that is.

Take it to a rolling road shop, they will confirm any doubts you may have, and hopefully rectify any probs.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Its all very well saying its making ex amount of power at the wheels but it may not still feel v.quick. Down to the driver i suppose, drive a bucket of s**t and then the Clio, problem solved

I think it's what you're used to. Since you came from a turbo'd car, you're not going to feel shove of torque you get from a turbo. However, having said that, you will find that when you check the speedo, you will be going as fast if not faster (than a standard 1.8t). The Clio's N/A engine has a more linear power delivery than the 1.8t. They are best experienced on a twisty road, though a 182 is far from slow with sub 7 secs and 18 secs for 0-60 and 0-100 mph.

RENAULT CLIO SPORT 182
how long does it take to get it to 135-140?

Ive found its pretty nippy to 120 :)
ive had mine a few months now and i quite easily overtook a bmw 325i racing home from work the other morning it probably took about 3/4 of a mile too get too 143mph, at least thats what it said on the clock and it surely felt like it

Mondeo TDCI 130
Sounds to me like its been baby'd, drive it hard, it will loosen up after a few K! honestly, it makes all the difference, the ones driven hard from the off are always the quickest!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
how long does it take to get it to 135-140?

Ive found its pretty nippy to 120 :)
ive had mine a few months now and i quite easily overtook a bmw 325i racing home from work the other morning it probably took about 3/4 of a mile too get too 143mph, at least thats what it said on the clock and it surely felt like it

Thank christ i dont stay in wales:dead:

I can almost taste your ego

RENAULT CLIO SPORT 182

Thank christ i dont stay in wales:dead:

I can almost taste your ego
i know what you mean but after working a night shift in tesco's i would drive at 500mph too get away from there if i could

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
Sounds to me like its been baby'd, drive it hard, it will loosen up after a few K! honestly, it makes all the difference, the ones driven hard from the off are always the quickest!!

Or the ones driven like a c**t from 91k!! ;)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Not for me, mugs game doing those speeds when you dunno whats over the brow/round the bend especailly when the guy on the other side of the bends in the same frame of mind as you ie >

"f**k it theres no one about.... 'oh fuc...!'

Only takes once to know its a bad idea

RENAULT CLIO SPORT 182
Still though, 143mph? Blowout/someone pulls out? They would never find you!

LOL... 100 or 140.. its still going to be messy though lol
i dont usually drive like that but every now and again you have too have a blast otherwises whats the point in buying a fairly fast car, it was mostly down too the boy in work saying my shitty little clio wouldnt get anywhere near his beemer the next night he was very sheepish and kept saying i let you go past me lying f##ker his face was a right picture

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
LOL... 100 or 140.. its still going to be messy though lol
i dont usually drive like that but every now and again you have too have a blast otherwises whats the point in buying a fairly fast car, it was mostly down too the boy in work saying my s**tty little clio wouldnt get anywhere near his beemer the next night he was very sheepish and kept saying i let you go past me lying f##ker his face was a right picture

Oh well in that case :(

Hate to sound like an old man but ive just seen too many people i know getting seriously hurt/killed/maimed doing half the speed your talking about as much as i love to obliterate BMW's as much as the next guy theres a time and place!

RENAULT CLIO SPORT 182
i dont usually drive like that but every now and again you have too have a blast otherwises whats the point in buying a fairly fast car, it was mostly down too the boy in work saying my s**tty little clio wouldnt get anywhere near his beemer the next night he was very sheepish and kept saying i let you go past me lying f##ker his face was a right picture

Oh well in that case :(

Hate to sound like an old man but ive just seen too many people i know getting seriously hurt/killed/maimed doing half the speed your talking about as much as i love to obliterate BMW's as much as the next guy theres a time and place!
i am an old man mate 35 this year usually i just drive like a nun especially when ive got my 4 year old in the car petrol is too expensive these days

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Cup FTW!!!!