ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie w Amateur Question re:1.8 16v won't start

Clio 1.8 16v/Saab 93 Cab
Hi.
Last night my '96 1.8 16v wouldn't start. For the last week it has been turning over an extra time before starting but last night it failed.

I'm the first to admit I'm not very mechanically minded so go easy on me.
I had to ask my neighbour who had a 1.2 where the windscreen wash water went.

Anyway it has been suggested to be that it might be the battery, which is exactly 1 year old.

Two people have suggested that the car needs anti-freeze. (It has been very cold here - Dublin - over the last week) I bought some this morning but, embarrassingly don't know where to put it. (Can't find radiator cap.)

So in order to save me from taking the bus later does anybody on here have any pearls of wisdom?

Thanks in advance,

Gar

172 cup,s2 rs turbo
antifreeze aint going to effect starting. does it turn over and all warning lights go out?

Clio 1.8 16v/Saab 93 Cab
Thanks for replies.

Yes it's turning over, but slowly.

All electrics are working but (outside) lights dimming as car engine turning.

After a few attempts (with me giving it a little throttle on the last few) it just got slower and slower. (throttle didn't help)

Am hoping all I need is a jump but want to take remedial measures. This is the first time the car has ever let me down.

(Well except for the time when I first bought the car and thought I got a dud because the guy selling it to me never explained the immobiliser :))

Also serioiusly, where does the antifreeze go anyway? I know the radiator but can't seem to find the cap...:banghead:

All help appreciated...

Megane 225
Could be your alternator, I doubt it's the battery as you said it's only a year old. As the alternator is what charges the battery I would suggest it's flat because it's not being charged by the alternator. Get a set of jump leads and a mates car and see if she'll start with a jump?

Clio 1.8 16v/Saab 93 Cab
Thanks dx.

I'll give it a go later and see how I get on. Looks like it'll have to back to the garage for a visit though.

S2000
Possible the TDC? The fact its turning over more slowly might not be a faulty battery/alternator but simply the fact you've been trying it so much. My suggestion would be to try jump starting it and then let us know what happens when you try.