ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie thinking about buying a decent camera and lens..

RS 200
Alot of people will recommend the Canon 350d which I have to agree is great value for money. If you want an SLR theres only really 2 main players, Nikon and Canon. Personally I went for the Nikon D70s as part of a package camera / lens deal that was on just before christmas.

Personally I reallistically think there are 3 SLR camera's out there that are for people new to photography and fancy trying some new techniques but also want good images as an outcome.

3 I would look at, but other people may add more:

~ Nikon D70s
~ Nikon D50
~Canon 350d

Chris

A red missile
TELFORDS_LURK said:
Alot of people will recommend the Canon 350d which I have to agree is great value for money. If you want an SLR theres only really 2 main players, Nikon and Canon. Personally I went for the Nikon D70s as part of a package camera / lens deal that was on just before christmas.

Personally I reallistically think there are 3 SLR camera's out there that are for people new to photography and fancy trying some new techniques but also want good images as an outcome.

3 I would look at, but other people may add more:

~ Nikon D70s
~ Nikon D50
~Canon 350d

Chris

Have to agree with that, go any higher and you're into stupid money territory, im a Canon man myself and i want an EOS5, the missus has the D70 and i have to say it feels a better camera than the 300D that i have. Regardless of whether you go Nikon or Canon though the lenses can get very expensive. I made the mistake initially of buying cheaper lenses but after going mental and buying an L series lens a while back i'll be off-loading the older ones.

I'll never have any money ;)

106 GTi
Before you buy go into a local Camera shop and try both the Canon and Nikon and see which you prefer.

I went for the Canon 350D found a good price online and got my local London Camera Exhange to price match. Its not jusy the bodies you need to consider but also what lens(es) will meet you needs.

I bought my 350D from Jessops, they had some good online bundles, cheap memory etc with the body and you can buy 3 years cover with them (on my 2nd body already they had no issues with me swapping as the first had a hot pixel on the sensor). Check their online prices/budles should be able to goto a store and pay the same price.

Anywhoo, the body is the cheap part, if your taking pictures of cars etc you'll be wanting more reach! the 70-200mm L series starts at £4-500 if you want good glass/quality.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
Nikon D50 Black plus
AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G IF ED plus
AF-S DX 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED

£548

is that a good package? would the lenses do me for shooting cars and trackday stuff?
Would also like to take a lot of skiing shots so high speed sports shots required.

Would this do the jobby?

top of the pyramid
Andy_J said:
although the 350D looks cooler!

its designed for girls hands though ;) lol

a 300mm/400mm would be fine for track work
nikon d50
trophy1.gif

300mm

20060619_0025.gif

standard nikon lens that you get with camera 18-55mm

Last edited:
  RS 200
Andy_J said:
Nikon D50 Black plus
AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G IF ED plus
AF-S DX 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED

£548

is that a good package? would the lenses do me for shooting cars and trackday stuff?
Would also like to take a lot of skiing shots so high speed sports shots required.

Would this do the jobby?

Seems like a good package to me, good to find a package with an extra lens instead of the ones with cases and memory cards.
55-200mm will do the job as long as you are down at the track fence really, which as some places is'nt always possible.

For example the following pic was taken at bridge corner at Silverstone where I was apporximately 25-30 meters away from the car and at full zoom with my Sigma 18-200mm lens. Ideally for track stuff a 300mm would be better imho.

DSC_0044.jpg

200mm should be fine for the skiing though I guess.

Chris

106 GTi
200mm at most UK circuits is two short unless you can get really close to the action.

Only been able to use my 70-200 succesfully at a Hillclimbs, was two short everywhere else.

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

Canon 350D with Canon 70-200 4L

Everywhere else I have had to use the Lens with a 1.4 Extender to get the reach and then it is still to short so have ordered a 300MM lens.

IMG_0593RT.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

Canon 350D and 70-200mm and 1.4 Extender (280mm reach)

Be aware of some of the cheaper 70-300 mm zooms my Sigma is very soft over 200 mm so much I have stopped using it.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
Cheers for the advice guys very helpful.. just need to scrape some cash together now! ;)

Consider the Panasonic FZ20 DSLR-alike, I'm just looking at macro lenses for my 350D and gonna bite the bullet at £320-420+ :S lol SLR will eat cash as you want more!