ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie suspension question

Clio 182 FF BG
Hope to get some advice, please.
Over the last few months my car has generated a loud knocking sound coming from the n/s/f, i let it go for a while. Now i have a very loud banging noise coming from both front suspension areas when going over speed bumps or any bumps in the road.
I getting it looked at on Monday, so i should find out what it is then.

I've looked at the substantial history i got with the car and it says it had replacement Cup shocks/springs in 10/2010, around 15,000 miles ago. I have no history of any suspension mounts or engine mounts being replaced.
The car stands at around 108,000miles.

My question:
If its the shocks, would it be wise to replace all the mounts and balljoints that would have to be unbolted as well?
How long would the life of shock absorber be? 15,000 doesn't seem to high if it is that.

Thanks

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Hope to get some advice, please.
Over the last few months my car has generated a loud knocking sound coming from the n/s/f, i let it go for a while. Now i have a very loud banging noise coming from both front suspension areas when going over speed bumps or any bumps in the road.
I getting it looked at on Monday, so i should find out what it is then.

I've looked at the substantial history i got with the car and it says it had replacement Cup shocks/springs in 10/2010, around 15,000 miles ago. I have no history of any suspension mounts or engine mounts being replaced.
The car stands at around 108,000miles.

My question:
If its the shocks, would it be wise to replace all the mounts and balljoints that would have to be unbolted as well?
How long would the life of shock absorber be? 15,000 doesn't seem to high if it is that.

Thanks

Knocking sounds like antiroll bar bushes to me. Most likely to be the outer ones. Do them yourself, nice and easy :)

Clio 182 FF BG
Turns out the n/s/f balljoint was hanging off!!
So I got the car a good looking over, had the n/s/f cv boot dong at the same time. Cost me £140 all in.
I'm happy with that.

Might have a look at the engine mounts too, they look a bit grubby.