ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie Looking for Some Help and Guidance

172 + 350z
Hi All

I currently own a 1.8tdci Ford Focus and I am now looking at buying a Clio 172 as I have just turned 21 and the insurance and running costs appear to be more manageable. Hoping you guys can help and advise on a few things as your the ones with all the knowledge!
I am hoping I am familiar with the difference between the 172 and the 172 CUP as I have being reading up for some time and also looking at many for sale ads.
Hopefully going to view a 172 CUP towards the end of the week as they appear to be more of a stripped back version and can get better gains if I did decide to put some money into BHP. Also they are cheaper to do the belts on? How often should this be done and what cost is involved I am sure i read it is cheaper for the non aircon version.
Also any information on real life mpg figures would be grand. I am used to 43-48mpg of normal-fast driving, 30 when kicking its ass and 58mpg when driving like a old man but understand this is a totally different car power wise etc and expect it to be more expensive to run.
Enough waffle and hope to soon be joining the community, Thank you for any replies in advance.
:approve:

1) Don't spend anything on the engine. Waste of money. (although an RSTuner remap is good, but that's about drivability, not more BHP)

2) Expect mid 30s with sensible driving, and maybe 40 with VERY sensible driving.

172 + 350z
1) Don't spend anything on the engine. Waste of money. (although an RSTuner remap is good, but that's about drivability, not more BHP)

2) Expect mid 30s with sensible driving, and maybe 40 with VERY sensible driving.

Thank you for your reply, are you referring to rs tuning in Leeds?
Thanks for the mpg guidance aswell

No, theres a self mapping software called RSTuner. You do it yourself via a laptop, sounds scary, but its idiot proof really.

Have a search, loads of info on here.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Welcome mate,

Guessing you're local ish.

Yes the belt change will be cheaper on a 172 Cup (with no air con). Intervals are cambelt 5 years/72k and aux belt 3years/36k. Take it to someone who knows these cars, look in the Traders section and see who is local ish to you. Will be around £300 but if it needs a new water pump or dephaser it will be extra.

Happy hunting

cheers
George

172 + 350z
Welcome mate,

Guessing you're local ish.

Yes the belt change will be cheaper on a 172 Cup (with no air con). Intervals are cambelt 5 years/72k and aux belt 3years/36k. Take it to someone who knows these cars, look in the Traders section and see who is local ish to you. Will be around £300 but if it needs a new water pump or dephaser it will be extra.

Happy hunting

cheers
George

Cheers George, your reply helps me a lot as I keep coming across cars that don't appear to have had the belts done and was curious as to what it would cost to have them done.
Went to view one today and although I didn't get chance to drive it, It made me want one more. Just to find the right one now!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Plenty come up on here with the belts done.

Having owned several I'd personally go for a 182 with both cup packs - was my favourite of all the ones I've owned.