ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie Here (Soon to be owner!)

Renault Clio GT
Taken a look at the higher spec DCI MK2's?

1.5 as far as I know, apparently they go pretty well with a map too. And shouldnt be too bad with insurance.

Regarding the warranty/insurance I dont think a Map would void that as I highly doubt they would even know its been done, but leave someone double check that for me :)

Gold alloys id look at Clio Williams wheels, their 15"'s so will look in place on a MK2 if the car colour is decent :rasp:

Car would be around £4kish for a newish one and id have thought insurance would be well below £2k, leaving you with £4k to use as you wish modding/whatever.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately cant find anywhere that will insure me for the kind of price LV will, and LV dont allow modifications other than changing alloys so, I'd be limited to what I could do with the 4k. Maybe a new TV haha. And I've photoshopped some gold alloys onto the GT im looking at, its a scooby metallic blue so they look quite nice in my opinion. But 15's on the GT would look out of place. Will have a look at the Mk2 though. Thanks.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
All im saying mate is that you haven't even passed your test yet and your talking like you're Lewis Hamilton. You don't need any sort of performance in your first year of driving.

You're going to learn more in your first year of driving than you will for the rest of your life.

I've dealt with too many serious injury accidents involving newly qualified drivers than I care to remember so I think I'm qualified to have an opinion.

I honestly have a lot of respect for you for saving up a nice sum of cash to get yourself started but you should concentrate more on becoming a safer driver than worrying about how fast your car is going to be.

I hope you stick around on this forum as its a great place to get quality information about any make of car. But I also hope you don't become another statistic of young drivers who pass their test and think they are a better driver than they are. It's not pretty when it goes wrong.

Renault Clio GT
All im saying mate is that you haven't even passed your test yet and your talking like you're Lewis Hamilton. You don't need any sort of performance in your first year of driving.

You're going to learn more in your first year of driving than you will for the rest of your life.

I've dealt with too many serious injury accidents involving newly qualified drivers than I care to remember so I think I'm qualified to have an opinion.

I honestly have a lot of respect for you for saving up a nice sum of cash to get yourself started but you should concentrate more on becoming a safer driver than worrying about how fast your car is going to be.

I hope you stick around on this forum as its a great place to get quality information about any make of car. But I also hope you don't become another statistic of young drivers who pass their test and think they are a better driver than they are. It's not pretty when it goes wrong.

I understand that, and I know I'm not Lewis Hamilton by any means. I realise I might have come across as quite reckless and irresponsible. But trust me, I'm not. I'm the type of person that gets in a car and gets pissed off if I get a mile down the road and realise someones not wearing they're seat belt. And I've also experienced first hand the result of reckless/drunk drivers after nearly losing my uncle to one. I accept, I think I got too caught up/excited in what car I get, how much power it has etc. But I'm not a reckless person, and just because the powers there doesn't mean I intend to use it. I fully appreciate where your coming from, and think we've got off on the wrong foot. So I apologise for that.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I'm not looking to be harsh or anything, but spending nearly 2K on insurance tell me that you have absolutely no value for money and imo is lunacy. the sensible thing to do (and mature thing to do) would be to get a cheap, low insurance group car for your first car, keep a it a few years and then get a more expensive car. In the meantime all that money you have saved can be in a high interest isa making you money ready for that extra nice car when insurance companies will give you a better deal.

Renault Clio GT
I'm not looking to be harsh or anything, but spending nearly 2K on insurance tell me that you have absolutely no value for money and imo is lunacy. the sensible thing to do (and mature thing to do) would be to get a cheap, low insurance group car for your first car, keep a it a few years and then get a more expensive car. In the meantime all that money you have saved can be in a high interest isa making you money ready for that extra nice car when insurance companies will give you a better deal.
The cheapest quote I've ever had after trying many different cars is 1400. Most of my mates pay about £3000 I'm in a good position. And 4-6k in an ISA over the period of a year doesn't really make it worth not having access to the money, having a nice car is worth it. And id probably save more on fuel with a diesel with half decent fuel economy than a 1.2 petrol and 6k in an ISA.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
well you seem to know what you want and you have made your mind up. what was your actual question again as I think I may have misunderstood...

Renault Clio GT
well you seem to know what you want and you have made your mind up. what was your actual question again as I think I may have misunderstood...
The most recent one I have asked is where would be the best place to get some gold alloys for a GT from. I'm not completely disregarding your advice. I'm just explaining why I'm not following it.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
In that case I have no idea. Do you mean Williams gold? Suppose you could get them professionally re-sprayed/powder coated?

Renault Clio GT
In that case I have no idea. Do you mean Williams gold? Suppose you could get them professionally re-sprayed/powder coated?
Exactly like that yes, and yeh, I wouldn't be doing them myself. That's just asking for trouble. Like I said in my first post, I'm not the most knowledgable in car parts/mechanics/mods. However come december my dads getting a caterham and I'm gonna help him build that. Hopefully will top my knowledge up haha.

RS 182
Have you tried Admiral insurance? I'm only 21 and i'm insuring a ph2 182 for just over £600 with no NCB which i thought was pretty Decent! Mind you, i've been driving since i was 17 so that might factor in..

Check Ebay for wheels mate, also Gumtree can house a few bargains! There's also sites like Wheel Whores if money isn't an object :)

Renault Clio GT
Have you tried Admiral insurance? I'm only 21 and i'm insuring a ph2 182 for just over £600 with no NCB which i thought was pretty Decent! Mind you, i've been driving since i was 17 so that might factor in..

Check Ebay for wheels mate, also Gumtree can house a few bargains! There's also sites like Wheel Whores if money isn't an object :)
Thanks, tried everywhere, LV are the only place that will do it for a reasonable price haha. And cheers I will take a look.