ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie Help Please!!!

Clio 172 ph2
Hi, I recently brought a 172 phase 2 after missing my clio exclusive i owned a couple of years ago, but I have a couple of faults i need to sort out and need some advice.

The faults are;

1. Knocking noise when accelerating hard (usually as tyres lose grip)??? or lifting off clutch to quick in low gear (LOUD Bang).

2. Exhaust blowing between center section join and backbox.

For the exhaust I just need a new joint connector but does anyone know the standard exhaust pipe bore. Im guessing it will be around 2" but would like to confirm before ordering.

I have tried using the search to find out the cause of the knocking/banging but tbh i dont really know what im looking for.

I will much appreciate any help guys.

Thanks

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
you've got the upper gearbox mount which is under the battery and the dogbone mount which is under the engine at the back. i think thats the one thats most common to cause knocking when worn

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
dont think so mate, altho i've never changed any of them so im not best person to give advice sorry

ste 193

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Yeah id say it will be the lower gearbox mount, called the dogbone mount. I brought an uprated one for mine and fitted it myself, very easy!

Black Gold Trophy
As said it is most likely the engine mounts, this is probably also the cause of the exhaust blowing as there is excessive movement of the engine

RS Clio 200
Dogbone mount can be done with a couple of 16mm spanners and an 18mm socket and as said is common. Just shake engine back and forth from under car to check for movement. The o/s top mount is also pretty common and shows up more on idle with the engine just shaking... These cars often knock abit under hard acceleration in low gears when losing grip...

Megane RS 250
Instead of buying a new dogbone, fit the purple powerflex in it.You could probably find one already fitted on the car parts section.