ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie from Stowmarket, Suffolk

Clio 182 & BMW 335d
Hi all, bought a random out the blue purchase yesterday, a 182 full fat.
This was to just have as a toy and a fun little hatch as our main car is a bmw 335d estate that's been mapped to 355bhp & 510lbs ft but the clio's are awesome on all the back little twistie roads local to use and easy to throw around into car parks shopping etc.
After bringing it home last night and giving it some beans - after all I was trying to keep with my partner in the 335, I found its a little sketchy and throws you out in the corners, we got it cheap as it needed new tyres on the fronts soon and the rear brakes seems to be shot to bits which I've noticed are common on these when viewing them (ventalation problem maybe?) which tyres would people recommend for these little beasts? We will be doing brakes all round as stamping on them hard spat me all over the road. Also I feel that the back ends are very lively compared to my old Astra VXR and obviously the estate, does the whiteline RARB's make much difference on these?
Also suspension wise, we was just going to go down the route of changing the springs, advice on that? Thanks Charlotte.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Welcome along.

Brakes - go for Brembo HC's discs and decent pads on the front, most of the braking is done through the front so standard OEM stuff on the rear is more than fine. Couple it with some decent brake fluid (ATE Superblue) and that is the braking sorted. Speak to @George@RTR_Parts on here as he can't be beaten for sorting brake packages out with brilliant customer service.

Tyres - depends on use. Road only, something like Pirelli P Zero Neros or Michelin PS3 gets my vote. If road and track, then Yoko ADO8R. Have a search on here, plenty of tyre feedback threads in the suspension / tyres section.

Whiteline RARB - I love mine, great bit of kit. It tends to make the rear more lively, rather than less, but I suspect your current skittishness is due to the tyres / brakes you have at the moment. I'd sort those, then get the Whiteline in a few months if you think you need to.

Springs - Cooksport springs. Cooksport are another trader on here.

Last thing i'd say, is i'd sign up as a cliosport member. For £12 you get a discount at both traders above, and access to a huge amount of information. It is well worth it.

Hope you enjoy the car :)

Clio 182 & BMW 335d
Thanks for your help, on my 335d Ive got what I think are black diamond drilled and grooved with michellin ps3's which I can not fault in the slightest! Didn't know if they were still as good on something half the bmw's weight but I think I may stay with michellin, (got them on my 2011 caddy too, brilliant on there too)
Had a rarb on my Astra Vxr - I loved it too just never tweaked with a car this small before so just wanted to know what's best.

We just plan to have it as a toy (the 182 resulted in a compromise of my partner not allowed to her another R6 lol) so we will wanna drive a bit hard and a few track days here and there but I'm not after a full track car, still wish it to be semi-practical too for going into town etc

Would you recommend drilled and grooved as I've seen we can get them for all 4 corners?
Thanks again

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I wouldn't go drilled and grooved. Tend to be overkill. Brembo HC and decent pads like DS2500, Mintex or another 'performance' pad will more than do the job both on track and on road.

Michelin's are good all rounders. These make brilliant toys, my advice is get the brakes and tyres sorted, then do a track day and you'll build a list of things you want to change based on your own driving style. I wouldn't dive straight into the modding until you've driven it hard on track. As standard, these cars are great fun on track just as they are. :)

Clio 182 & BMW 335d
Only thing I'm worried about is my friend has a 172 and she had brembo disks and she said hers have warped already and getting a terrible judder vibration and judder noise from them...

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
It is highly likely your friend has an underlying issue causing the warping, as opposed to the discs. I.e. sticking caliper etc.

I, and quite a few others, have used Brembo High Carbons on track repeatedly, and not suffered any warping at all. I've found you get more judder from grooved and drilled discs than HC's. @George@RTR_Parts can advise better.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Welcome to the club. There are quite a few members in this area and your area rep @dmallet has a meet coming up soon I believe.

Welcome! There's plenty of helpful members around the area should you ever need them :smile:

I'll keep an eye out for you, I drive a red sorta coloured Clio thing. You won't miss it as its sat about an inch off the floor.

Probably should add I live in Stowmarket too lol

Clio 182 & BMW 335d
Welcome! There's plenty of helpful members around the area should you ever need them :smile:

I'll keep an eye out for you, I drive a red sorta coloured Clio thing. You won't miss it as its sat about an inch off the floor.

Probably should add I live in Stowmarket too lol

Ah sweet nice and local! Mines just a little blue one, body work is good but wheels needs a refurb which I'll prob do in my garage (hopefully without being moaned at by the other half for getting overspray everywhere!)
Can't say I've seen yours about! Prob not paid much attention lol

I used to love car meets a coupe years ago when I had a Vxr but in the nicest way possible they're not my thing anymore, you always had one idiot that ruins it for everyone else and struggle finding the time for them!

Also what insurance companies are people with? This little thing is more than the 335 to insure... Quotes vary from £700-2500 which is hideous

Clio 182 & BMW 335d
They were still expensive!
Also, another of many questions lol, how easy is it to get another remote key? With fords you just get the key cut and a little immobiliser chip inserted and then a series of turns in the ignition then it works... Don't know what renaults are like