ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbee just brought 172

cav turbo
hiya

as the title.should be picking up my y-plate silver 172 tomorrow.
but she is in a bit of a mess:(

the bloke im buying it off has'nt really looked after it.
its got a bent alloy,knackered exhaust,1 wheel bearing had it,rust on bonnet and he hit a small bank on the way to work one day and hit the front bumper which is still intact but has a few stress cracks on the paint. but thats about it.

apart from the cam belt needed replacing :rolleyes:

i've got a few plan's up my sleeve tho.

i already have a set of 17" wheels,then im going to buy a cheap sportex exhaust system.then im going to lower it,and then sort out the front bumper.

i do like the standard wheel's.but i need 1 to make a good set.

lee

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
cheap sportex exhaust??!! i'd rather use a cornflake packet and some sellotape.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
mate just bought a 69,000er, needed work, but paid 3500, so for a good one with no work needed i'd say 4000 is a fair price.

172 Cup
He probably said don't buy it as there's plenty of good, cared for MK1 172's arround.

All due respect the way you described yours sounds like a shed.

It seems slightly odd that you all this work to do on a new car, unless the price reflects this. It would make me walk away however, if you can see he hasn't looked after the car I would question the condition of the internals. Afterall, if he says he has x y and z replaced, can you trust him?

BMW E46 330i Touring
Hope it was a decent price, the cambelt alone is gonna cost a little fortune, stupid things! I'm always weary of picking up cars that haven't been looked after, but hopefully you've got a good'un!

Not 100% sure about the mods planned, but enjoy the car, get it restored to its former glory!

BMW E46 330i Touring
I'd also say £4k is a bit low for a decent condition example. Yes, that's the price you could get one off here for, but I'd say you're looking closer to £4.5/5k in the mainstream sources such as Autotrader, etc.

cav turbo
well, i aint brought it yet.but i work with the bloke and said that i would have it tomorrow.
but it is only £2200

172 Cup
£2200 for Y plate 172... I wouldn't even bother going to view it personally.

You get what you pay for.

cav turbo
.Griff. said:
£2200 for Y plate 172... I wouldn't even bother going to view it personally.

You get what you pay for.

mate i have already been and looked at it. it really aint that bad.
its all straight,apart from the front bumper.all the panal's are good,and the inside is in very good condition.
i have priced it all up.and it could be a nice car all in for 3k

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
i cant comment if i havent see it....but sounds like a dog..if you can get it up to tip top for 3 k then i would be gud...but why is the wheel bent? what else has been damaged when the wheel was bent?

he must know there summet up with it for 2.2k.....

172 Cup
Exactly.. Either he's got so much money he can practically afford to give the car away or it's got a problem(s) somewhere.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
i take it is been a bang if the bumper isnt stright...

new wheel is 110
cam belt is 400
bonnet resray 100
bearigns 180

thats just what u told us it needs doin

if it needs a new bumper then ther 630+vat from renault
you bits and bobs will add up

cav turbo
ben_p said:
i cant comment if i havent see it....but sounds like a dog..if you can get it up to tip top for 3 k then i would be gud...but why is the wheel bent? what else has been damaged when the wheel was bent?

he must know there summet up with it for 2.2k.....

mate.the wheel was damaged when he hit the bank in the snow.
he took it to a local garage to have it checked out.but there was no more damage apart from the front bumper.and i have had a good look over it and under it and apart from them problem's.it seems fine.it really doe's.

its far from a shed.i did'nt think that £2200 was a bad price.considering a good condition 1 sells for around the 4k mark.
it will cost me about 600-800 quid to get all the work done. so it will stand me at around the 3k mark

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
kk sweet....like i said i havent seen it but ...

2.2k is cheep if it will be mint and you can do it for 600-800 then its a bargin

cav turbo
ben_p said:
i take it is been a bang if the bumper isnt stright...

new wheel is 110
cam belt is 400
bonnet resray 100
bearigns 180

thats just what u told us it needs doin

if it needs a new bumper then ther 630+vat from renault
you bits and bobs will add up

don't need wheels as i already have some.
been qouted £200 to fit the cambelt,then i need to buy cambelt.
needs 1 rear bearing. £70
my m8 will paint bonnet for £70.
bumper don't need replacing just paint as its go a few stress crack's in the paint.again m8 will paint for £70
them about £300 for a stainless exhaust.

======== about 700 ish quid.+2200 for the car.=£2900 for a good condition mk1 172.
and that will put it 1k under the maket value;)

im thinking its a bargain:rasp:

you'll need to/want to get the aux belts and pulleys done too, personally, if it's too good to be true, it normally is, and if it has signs of bumper/wheel problems something will be bent, must of been some shunt into a bank to bend the wheel, why not get another £15** together and then go get one you don't have to touch, you'll be able to enjoy it more!

Doesn't sound like the cars had a happy life....

and one more thing, your first post was reffering to the bad condition it was in, and reading through you've slowly talked yourself out of it, don't make the mistake of wanting something too bad and getting a shitter, it's just not worth the heartache. I'm sure everyones wanted a certain car so bad at some point that they've been blind as to all the problems!

cav turbo
Jays172 said:
you'll need to/want to get the aux belts and pulleys done too, personally, if it's too good to be true, it normally is, and if it has signs of bumper/wheel problems something will be bent, must of been some shunt into a bank to bend the wheel, why not get another £15** together and then go get one you don't have to touch, you'll be able to enjoy it more!

Doesn't sound like the cars had a happy life....

and one more thing, your first post was reffering to the bad condition it was in, and reading through you've slowly talked yourself out of it, don't make the mistake of wanting something too bad and getting a sh*tter, it's just not worth the heartache. I'm sure everyones wanted a certain car so bad at some point that they've been blind as to all the problems!

mate nothing else is bent,its been checked out.
but as for the coment about wanting something badly and being blind to any problem's is total rubbish.
i just sold a wrx scooby,and gone back to my old skool 280 bhp 16v champion turbo;)
this clio is for the mrs,and i cant be doing with a saxo vtr that she first wanted
DSC00982.jpg

DSC00978.jpg

just trying to offer some advice but if your used to buying nails that's fine

as for the vtr, you'll get a mint one for 2200 squids and only group 7 insurance as opposed to 16!....

£2.2k is a good price and if your wiling to do thw work (cam belt excepted0 then you'll have a good cheap car there.
Breaking it for parts it should be worth more than you paid.

106 GTi
Welcome to CS.

Wanted a Champion Edition GTE in my younger years, till I found french hot hatches do corners better!