ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New wheels - few noob questions about jacking car up

205 GTI, Clio 182
Hi guys,

Atm, I'm planning on attempting this myself. I do not have a trolley jack, and was planning on using a diamond type emergency jack. Should I ditch that idea and go with a trolley jack?

The plan of attack was to jack the car up, place wheel underneath sill as a safety precaution unbolt wheel, put on new wheel, lower. Can I do this without using axle stands?

Let me know if any of these ideas are silly and the best method.

Clio 182 arctic
its not ideal but should be fine with the jack there and spare wheel, should only take 2mins anyway.

ash_s3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Make sure you break the nuts off with the car on the ground, that way you wont be moving the car too much while its in the air.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Avoid using the Renault jack, they are highly unpredictable.

Some jack's will last 50-100 uses, some, just one and the bloody thing snaps.

Get a cheap trolley jack off the net, or from halfords or anywhere really. This will be more than good enough for intermittent usage.

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
Avoid using the Renault jack, they are highly unpredictable.

Some jack's will last 50-100 uses, some, just one and the bloody thing snaps.

Get a cheap trolley jack off the net, or from halfords or anywhere really. This will be more than good enough for intermittent usage.
Seconded.... I've seen a car fall off a diamond jack and it wasnt pretty... your're kinda screwed for getting the car back up again too!

Whether you would trust one of these depends largely on fate:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hydraulic-trolley-jack-14-99-lidl/614092

Cheap enough tho??!

205 GTI, Clio 182
Cheers. It's actually a Mercedes C Class (new one) jack, so it'd be plenty strong enough. Just hope it's quality and won't snap on me. I will have wheels under the sills so it should be alright.

Will have to invest in a good trolley jack and 4 axle stands.

205 GTI, Clio 182
Make sure to get some pics up of the potential aftermath :)

Hope you're being sarcastic :p f**k it, I'm biting the bullet and just using a trolley jack. Have heard WAYYY too many double entendres and jokes about how pissy the diamond jacks are, I ain't risking it.

Suzuki Jimny
I was in my mates shed of a fiesta when he crashed into a pavement and destroyed the rear tyre. He had no idea about jacking a car so I used the diamond jack from his boot.
Which gave up being a jack half way through the wheel change.
Could have gone very wrong for my leg :)

Trolley jacks are the way forward + Axle stands.