ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New wheels, alignment.

Oyster Card
I've recently fitted some new 15" alloys to replace my 13" steels.
When I say recently I mean me and a mate armed with a trolly jack at 12:30am.

Look great, amazing how wheels can transform the look of a car you relise why people spend so much on them now.
Only prob is, my steering wheel now points to 2'oc to go forward, am I right in thinking as the wheels are a lot wider, old ones were 155 i think these are nearing 200 iirc - that they need tracking again?

Oyster Card
Okey doke cheers will do, is there any other reason why it should be out, it was near spot on when i took the steels off. Like I say the only logical reason I can think of is the tyre sizing has changed.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I have to ask this. Where did you stick the trolley jack to jack the car up to change the wheels? Changing the size of the wheels absolutely definitely should not change the straight-ahead position on the steering wheel.

Oyster Card
front was the sills (the strong part, done it on my old car and it bent) and rear was the suspension mount bush iirc.

White Van Man
GordonDI have to ask this. Where did you stick the trolley jack to jack the car up to change the wheels? Changing the size of the wheels absolutely definitely should not change the straight-ahead position on the steering wheel.
What he said, something has definitely moved inbetween the old ones coming off and the new ones going on.

Oyster Card
I wonder if I could have bent something when I jacked the rears up, hmm will have to have a look on a warmer day.

I'd imagine the new wheels are wider?
if so then the setup might always have been like that a bit.
As for jacking
This picture should give you an idea.
Jack on the bit in red if your colour blind I've arrowed it in yellow as well. Don't jack and further forwards (marked in light blue) as thi is where the chassic bends back up and the jack coul come off.
Have a look under the front of the car by where the hinger are and you'll see where the picture shows. You could use the sill at the front but make sure you have a bar etc so you spread the weight out more else you will find yourself bending the sills.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/edde_uk/Williams/DSCN0459a.jpg

At the back this picture should give you an idea. You can jack on either of the two red bits or if you can jack on the sill (shown as the red line) since the cars so light at the back you cna use the sill.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/edde_uk/Williams/DSCN0461a.jpg

Oyster Card
Sweet cheers mate I jacked the rear using the red dot furthest to the left.

Old wheels were 155 and new ones are 195.
The steering wheel was already slightly off to the right yeah, about 12:30 to go forward but now I've put the new wheels on it's gone off even more to about 1:30 position to go forward lol.