ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Valves

big boost cup
Where is the best place for a new set of valves. had a look on the K tec website and dont fancy paying 400 od notes for some. Can a second hand set be used at all? as i have a spare engine in the garage

HBT 172 Cup
Don't get pattern part valves, they break lol.

I would think other than uprated, renault would be the only place to get quality valves? Don't think id trust anything else.

big boost cup
Thats what im after Laine oem jobbies just wanted to know how much they are and who i can get them from

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Same. Cost was £111.06 for a set of eight exhaust valves and slightly less for the inlet valve set on my 2009 version of Dialogys. Colletts, springs and all the other parts are extra.

HBT 172 Cup
Expensive but could have guessed they would be that much considering the price of F7R valves. I bought Camtec OEM valves from Trechii components.... Thy destroyed the engine shortly after, stay well clear!

I would definately buy a set of good condition second hand valves from a low mileage cylinder head over brand new pattern part valves.

big boost cup
Expensive but could have guessed they would be that much considering the price of F7R valves. I bought Camtec OEM valves from Trechii components.... Thy destroyed the engine shortly after, stay well clear!

I would definately buy a set of good condition second hand valves from a low mileage cylinder head over brand new pattern part valves.

So i should be ok using the ones from my old block? if not a set of OEM

182 Turbo
Yes, it just comes up with eBay adds and stuff?
I'm judging by your lack of enthusiasm they are gash and just break?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Found this thread while looking for something else. The super tech ones are good valves but unlike what ktec say and what it says in that link dan posted they are not one piece exhaust valves they are still two piece. Sadly in the case of the f4r there is no readily available good quality one piece at sensible money that I've found so far.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
From Supertech's website

STAINLESS STEEL ALLOYS:
Made as a one piece forged valve for higher strength and reliability.
We use mostly EV8 (21-4N) for Intake and Exhaust valves but there are other alloys that we use along with different heat treatments to manufacture valves for different applications.
Other hard metal alloys may be welded to harden certain areas like the tips or seats.
We use mainly two different type of coatings:

CHROME COATING:
Widely used in high performance valves.

BLACK NITRIDE:
This is a hardening treatment that even though it is not widely used as the chrome coating, it has several benefits and is becoming very popular, mainly for European and Japanese applications.

The microhardness is higher than the stainless steel base material, keeping good ductility beneath the hard nitrided layer (microhardness is 800HV minimum).
Surface finish is smoother than with chromed stems, having less friction between stem and guide.

Valve seat surface is harder with the nitrided layer, lasting longer with lead free fuels, alcohols, nitro or other "explosive" mixes. Matches any kind of seats (nodular iron seats, steel powder metal seats, hard aluminum-copper seats or beryllium copper seats).

Higher rpm's engines take full advantage of all previous features. The higher the engine speed the bigger the power loss due to internal engine friction! The black nitride layer reduces this power loss due to less valve-guide friction.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Generic text not specific to the f4r ones. They are two piece exhaust valves according to their tech guy who I spoke to in detail when ordering a few sets of them recently as it was obvious to me (and anyone else who knows much about decent valves) from how cheap they were that they couldn't be made from a single piece bit of inconel as the material alone would be more than the whole valve cost.

In your text you pasted in it is mainly referring to 214n valves which is the inlet but it does mention that alloys like inconel are welded on ;)
Not just amistske you made though dan, ktec clearly know naff all about valve materials either as their site is incorrect about them just like the post about the engine you built.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ps if you do ever want one piece inconel it's around 60 quid a valve but has a fairly large minimum order which is what has stopped me getting them so far.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I bought supertech valves direct from them in USA and it cost me about £280 for a full set inc delivery

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I bought supertech valves direct from them in USA and it cost me about £280 for a full set inc delivery

Yeah, so much cheaper direct!

Sadly when I bought the last couple of sets that I got I was hit by a relatively hefty customs bill, 153 quid I think it was, but still only came in at about 350 ish a set delivered to my door and it only takes a few days to arrive, you would have to be mental to buy from ktec at the money they charge IMHO!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
God Chip i love your data bank of knowledge :)

Just a function of my old age mate, been playing with big power turbo cars for a long time now so can spot a mile off when something is too good to be true with things like that, lol

I guess Ktec dont really know much about the underlying cost or Inconel or for that what valves made of it normally cost as they probably dont deal with that sort of material for any other cars.
So I guess they just saw a product available, so sell it without knowing much about it and to be fair to them they cant really be expected to be experts on every product they sell I suppose.

Bit of a poor show when the end customer like on that burpspeed thread ends up thinking they have got something different to what they really have though.
But like I said originally they are good valves anyway so whether the people they bought them off (not sure if that was Danny or Ktec) misled them intentionally or simply didnt know anything about them so copied and pasted some info off a website thinking it was the right thing doesnt stop them being good valves which are perfectly adequate for their application.