ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New uprated cat cams.

Clio 2 Phase 2 RS
Hello,

Since my cat cams now in the car are a bit worn (got some damage from metal pieces in the lube canals).
I'm now in a need of a new set cams.
I found this uprated cams, type: 5502420.

Will this fit into my clio without any other adjustments, i do need new upper bearings in the rocker cover.. are they easily to replace?

K-tec says this about the camshafts: 5502420, This is the Renault Sport Group N profile and they are machined to the maximum limits allowed. Will work with the standard hydraulic followers and valve springs.
Q: Will the 5502420 group N cams work with the standard ECU
A: Yes, these cams are the mildest of the range and will work with the stock ECU, of course its important to get any conversion checked and possibly remapped.

What kind of cams are these?

So i don't need a new ECU, valves etc. Only the upper 'oil bearings'.

Anyone got some of these fitted in their engines?

Greetings, Arjan. from the netherlands.

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
They are near standard if i remember. I asked about them a while ago. They should be ok to use with standard ecu etc.

As for the bearing caps/journals. Arent they part of the rocker cover so you would need to change to rocker cover?

Someone else will be able to advise you a bit better but might just say the same as i have

Clio 2 Phase 2 RS
The bearing caps are not that chubby, it's more that the shaft got some slightly damage. It's just like a break disc with grooves in it, but in the shaft it's much smaller :)

I think that once fitted (bearing caps and a shafts) you need to replace them both. Again similar to break discs and pads.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
fitting those cams is a total waste of time. They're stock, but made to a better tollerence so they're legal for group n (standard engine) racing classes.

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
im sure the bearing caps are part of the cam cover and are not separate. new cam cover if they are damaged. if they aint damaged they should be ok to use

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
no, the bearing caps are part of the rocker cover, which is matched to the head.

Don't bother with 428's. Too mild for the cost.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
loads of better options that can fulfil that criteria. Anything non standard will need mapping obviously.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
if the journals are scored, you can clean up light marks/grooves with fine emery paper. If it's serious, then you may be looking at having to replace the head. Bearings are not replaceable unfortunately. I have 2 heads that are scrap because of the same thing

Clio 2 Phase 2 RS
Hmmmhmm, i'm not planning to replace the head:eek:
I'll have a look when we take the rocker cover off again soon!
Thanks for the advice, i wont take those 5502402 shafts then :)
I'll be back in this topic with pictures from the caps and shafts when taking off the cover again.