ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New to the Renault Clio family and need some help

Renault Clio 1.4 16v
Hi fellow Cliosporters,
I am new to the Renault clio family and have been always interested in the little hot hatches and finally have just scraped enough to get into a entry level 2002 clio 1.4 16v 5 speed manual.was opting to get the sport but cant afford it at the moment.I noticed when I had brought the car that shifting into first was a bit hard so I decided to change the gearbox oil.have not worked on euro cars before and am not that mechanically minded to be honest but am keen to learn but I may have made a mistake on my first attempt and need some help from the fellow cliosporters that may have came across this problem so here goes,i am pretty sure I undid the wrong bolt and drained all the oil out but am not sure which oil I have drained and where to top it back up,after reading a few posts here I realised that I need a square head 8mm wrench to drain the manual gearbox oil from a clio which I did not do,i actually undid the bolt which is attatched to the gear selector spring and not sure which oil has leaked out and where to top it back up from.a bit embarrassing but I hope someone can help. :)

Renault Clio 1.4 16v
Hi Montana,
I haven't took a pic of it yet,i'll try my best to explain it though,its the bolt underneath the car next to the gearbox which has a a spring on it which when u push the clutch and change gears it pulls the spring on the bolt,i think it may be the gear selector spring bolt maybe??

Renault Clio 1.4 16v
http://s1331.photobucket.com/user/timmy1722/media/IMG_0033_zps7743a7d2.jpg.htmlhttp://s1331.photobucket.com/user/timmy1722/media/IMG_0033_zps7743a7d2.jpg.htmlhttp://s1331.photobucket.com/user/timmy1722/media/IMG_0030_zps53ca7415.jpg.htmlHeres some pics guys,its the bolt with the spring attached to the back of it.
IMG_0030_zps53ca7415.jpg.html
IMG_0033_zps7743a7d2.jpg.html

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
yep that's the selector anchor, just do it back up.

you can just about see the gearbox sump plug in the pic, its right in the bottom middle of the pic, see around half of it and the little copper sealing washer. that's where you want to drain from.

the oil you have drained however is still gearbox oil. what I would do is reassemble the selector and ensure you can get all gears (engine off, don't start it up with no box oil in) and then undo the proper gearbox plug and make sure the rest of the oil is out

then if you look at the front middle of the gearbox, kind of behing the radiator, you should see a small plastic screw in bung, this is the topup hole. get the car level on flat ground on all 4 wheels, fashion some sort of funnel and fill the box until oil flows freely from that hole. should be around 3-4 litres max

Renault Clio 1.4 16v
Thanks for your help coops,great sound advice and will be getting around to it tomorrow evening when I have some time,very much appreciate it :)