ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New to Clio Sports

just an old 182
Hello,
Bought this 182 on impulse... didn't need it but seen it on a Garage forecourt on the way past to my work in the mornings and couldn't help it.
yTzWRdJ.jpg

Standard 182 as far as I know... new belt kits fitted (genuine Renault parts) as part of the deal.
I own a 1.6 and 1.9 205 GTi and so it was interesting for me to see the difference 15 years have made to these types of car.
No special plans for the car, just to use and enjoy... looking for standard 16" alloys and a set of new Michelin's to replace the daft 17" wheels it came with and wondering what the best method is to remove the black stuff from the rear and side glass, yeuch!!!

Clio 172
A razor blade will get the tint off, should be able to lift and peel it though

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

just an old 182
Yip, love the engine, air-con and handling... think the bigger wheels are making it wander over uneven surfaces though, feels like it may have suspension upgrades but not had a chance due to work to have a proper look over on the ramp. 15 years have definitely changed some things and the car feels more civilised and modern than the 205 and it is faster, but not by much... engine feels flat but this is decieving because it's actually nipping along nicely through torque and then power delivery comes hard after 5,000 rpm... but yes, the engine is worth the cost of the car alone in my view. I'd heard people complain about the seating position, but I think this is actually okay, it's more the position of the steering wheel that isn't natural. The clutch is really heavy on the car and I'm sure it shouldn't be like this... to the degree it is spoiling the driving experience... the operation is fine though... any thoughts on why the pedal is so heavy?
Moving on another 12 years and my daily commuter is a "works" car - Fiesta Van 1.5 Diesel five speed 84bhp... due to the lack of power, it is very easy to drive on the limit and the balance of the chassis is very, very good... the thing that most impresses me is how stable and quiet the car is at 100mph, you could still fall asleep at the wheel if you were tired enough...
If I could have the 205 body, on the fiesta chassis with the 182 engine..... I'd only need one car ;-)

0LeeLn3.jpg

The 1.6 stage rally car, work in progress... not too far from completion.
UYBOVnI.jpg

The mildly tuned 1.9 road car, 140bhp, 800kg, still quick after all these years... my right foot sometimes still shakes when I get out of this car... that's been happening for the last 30 years.

just an old 182
Managed to carefully peel back and remove the black film from the side glass and rear screen, looking much better in my view.
The glass seems to be fairly tinted as it was anyway. Nice to have it normal again.
Rm4rMYD.jpg

The O/S headlight was badly discoloured so fingers crossed masked up the paint and took the orbital to it....
15 minutes later and I had a "like new" headlamp.
zQ3ikkH.jpg

Next up is find some 182 alloys, mostly because I want it back on the original wheels and partly because I have a European road trip planned for next month and I'll need to have a spare wheel and tyre on board... so if anyone is interested in a cheap set of 17" Kato Alloys with good Khumo tyres then they are currently listed on ebay. The 182 is growing on me... I'm glad I bought it ;-)

MonkeyKnifeFight

ClioSport Club Member
  Rusty Cup
If you are changing the wheels I'd look at a set of 15's. If you want to keep the Oem look Then Oz F1 in 15 are a good bet. Other popular choices are Speedline 2118's or Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2

All good choices

just an old 182
What's your thinking behind 15" rims?
Wheels don't get any better than OZ but trying not to spend money on this car... fat chance of that, eh?

MonkeyKnifeFight

ClioSport Club Member
  Rusty Cup
Accelerates harder.

Just offering a little advice from personal experience. The 16's on a 182 weigh an absolute ton so in my eyes are by no means an upgrade. If you arnt a fan of 15's I'd say the 16's from a 182 trophy or 172 Cup are the next best option as these are very much in keeping with the Oem look.

just an old 182
Well, in terms of unsprung weight, your right, they do weigh a lot... 18kgs each with a tyre... at the moment though, light weight wheels in the correct size aren't an option. Bought a full set of 5 x 182 alloys (2nd hand) and brought them back flat with an orbital.
pt47qjc.jpg

added some champagne gold paint...
1lxx7y1.jpg

and it's looking more like a 182 should again.
Just got back from a road trip through Holland and Germany... car ran faultless but now has an amber warning light on the far right side of the display, looks like an engine management light but according to the Renault manual is something to do with the exhaust gas... any ideas?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Car looks much better with your changes! Not 100% on the colour of the wheels but they look much better than the 17s.

The warning light could be lambda related. Does it flash? Mine used to do that. It was called the "toxic fume" warning light or something silly in the manual. New lambda sensors cured it.

Nice to see another rallyist here too!

just an old 182
Cheers, yip, have something in my head for gold wheels ;-)
Toxic fume sounds about right, no, it doesn't flash, just came on on the auto-bahn and has stayed on... car is running fine and love this engine.
I'll have a look at the sensors... don't suppose you can clean them up?
The rally car is not far away but holding off at the minute for new seats and belts (old ones are out of date)