ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New System - Complete Build

True but £840 verses £220 (average retail price of the Extreme compared with the 920) for the same end result* once clocked (given the board and other components in the aforementioned system) I know which I'd go with.

* - Merely based on what I've read/witnessed which shows the 920 and 965 are both capable of 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 ghz using the right board/memory which the OP is.

Like I said I jealous anyway. I just can't see the justification of a £600 outlay where it's not necessary or advantageous.

Yeah you're not wrong. I'm not sure that the 920 will easily reach those speeds though, certainly not on air. In any case, Core i7 920 is apparently the CPU of choice for the penny wise overclocker. I can never not recommend the extreme chips though. In my experience they are epic. SO easy to overclock. I'll never say they are a waste of money...perhaps just toward the upper scale of what's sensible :eek:

Tesla MP3 2021
Nice...

Obviously not jealous at all...

Much.

Edit - All I'll say is the CPU choice seems a little OTT. The I7 920 can easily reach the same overclock tolerance as the massively more expensive I7 965. IIRC they both reach circa 4.4ghz.

The extreme chips do tend to be more likely to OC higher TBH. However, what sets them apart is the unlocked multi, meaning you have a bit more flexibilty with OCing and can go for straight away for big speeds without having to OC the board too much. Otherwise yeah I tend to agree a 920 is probably a better choice on a budget. More is always better though :D

True but £840 verses £220 (average retail price of the Extreme compared with the 920) for the same end result* once clocked (given the board and other components in the aforementioned system) I know which I'd go with.

* - Merely based on what I've read/witnessed which shows the 920 and 965 are both capable of 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 ghz using the right board/memory which the OP is.

Like I said I jealous anyway. I just can't see the justification of a £600 outlay where it's not necessary or advantageous.

Yeah you're not wrong. I'm not sure that the 920 will easily reach those speeds though, certainly not on air. In any case, Core i7 920 is apparently the CPU of choice for the penny wise overclocker. I can never not recommend the extreme chips though. In my experience they are epic. SO easy to overclock. I'll never say they are a waste of money...perhaps just toward the upper scale of what's sensible :eek:

I totally agree where you are coming from and both of you make good points to each. To be honest with you I just got a little greedy and money wasnt an issue so I just went for the 965. I am going to Watercool the CPU as I do want to run it as far over 4.0Ghz as possible, obviously it has to be nice and stable :).

If I was on a "budget" then the 920 would have been perfect.

I was having a little play last night and I am ready to stress test a 3.8Ghz configuration I setup. It ran fine on idle/general use etc for a good few hours...

On that front I plan to use Prime95 but I have read a programme called LinX is better but I cant seem to find where I can download it from, any ideas?

Tesla MP3 2021
Also I noticed when I installed the NVIDIA Drivers for the GPU it had the settings down as if it was in SLI mode and I had to change it back to a single GPU profile, this was in the NVIDIA Control Panel software.

Is this correct?

Tesla MP3 2021
Ahh right I get ya. Will change it back then :).

Still need to get 3DMark Vantage on the go.

Tesla MP3 2021
I also want your help later with regards to my Overclock. I will post up what I did last night later which is basically just a slight change of the preset 3.8Ghz overclock stored in the BIOS.

Ahh right I get ya. Will change it back then :).

Still need to get 3DMark Vantage on the go.

FYI I ran a very casual vantage the other day. It ran P19600. I expect yours to beat that by some margin. Don't get carried away with benches though IMO. It's a games machine, not a benching machine :)

I'll try it again on the ultimate run.

I also want your help later with regards to my Overclock. I will post up what I did last night later which is basically just a slight change of the preset 3.8Ghz overclock stored in the BIOS.

I know f**k all about X58, dude.

Tesla MP3 2021
Well here is my first OC attempt.

POST and Windows boot was fine and I ran prime for around 30 mins..

oc1-idle.jpg

The only issue is my temps mid 80's. Does this sound right?? or is it way to high?

Thanks

Tesla MP3 2021
Sorry the screen shot was taken just after a 5 min run of prime. I forgot to do another during the main stress lol

P21583 is good. I ran around P19610. Totally in keeping with what one would expect from that machine. I could try overclocking some more, and start OCing the GTX295, but TBH it's the games that matter.

You've got an epic rig there my man. Start playing the games :approve:

BTW your max temp is HIGH, and 5 minutes of Prime is not enough. You want to be stable for at least 12 hours IMO.

Tesla MP3 2021
P21583 is good. I ran around P19610. Totally in keeping with what one would expect from that machine. I could try overclocking some more, and start OCing the GTX295, but TBH it's the games that matter.

You've got an epic rig there my man. Start playing the games :approve:

Cheers matey :)

I am taking the OC slowly, its just my temps that are worrying me. I may re-apply the heat sink as I have got a feeling something is letting me down on that front.

Yeah Crysis is getting installed tomorrow :)

Don't be daft :D

More 3D marks + no difference in games <> £500

Haha I just cant stop spending lol:eek:

BTW your max temp is HIGH, and 5 minutes of Prime is not enough. You want to be stable for at least 12 hours IMO.

Yeah this is my point, sommet cant be right with the heatsink. I will looking into it tomorrow.

I think I will deffo Watercool the CPU though as I want to breech that 4GHz mark and keep it stable :).

Sorry I ran Prime for around 30-35 mins, yes I know this still inst enough but I don't fancy running it for hours+ until I sort this temp issue out.

Firstly, make sure you find out the tjMax for that CPU and enter it into the settings of realtemp. If the tjmax is wrong, you can't rely on the readings.

Personally, I would run that system at stock for a good few weeks while you learn about it, and know how it runs. OCing it straight away is not needed right now. It will play any game you like at ultra-uber-max. IMO play the games. Get used to the machine. Learn it. Know it. Then start OCing if you feel you want more fps.

That's just my advice. Feel free to ignore it, but I've been where you are before, more than once :)

Tesla MP3 2021
Firstly, make sure you find out the tjMax for that CPU and enter it into the settings of realtemp. If the tjmax is wrong, you can't rely on the readings.

Personally, I would run that system at stock for a good few weeks while you learn about it, and know how it runs. OCing it straight away is not needed right now. It will play any game you like at ultra-uber-max. IMO play the games. Get used to the machine. Learn it. Know it. Then start OCing if you feel you want more fps.

That's just my advice. Feel free to ignore it, but I've been where you are before, more than once :)

Is that done via a sensor test?

No you make a good point and I am always open to suggests etc...

I think I am going to leave it at this for the time being anyway, this is running nice :)

oc2-idle.jpg

Tesla MP3 2021
t**t had it on the wrong tab on the 2nd CPU-Z screen. You can tell its 1am lol