ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Speakers

Polo + Micra
I'm looking for some new speakers for my amp. I only run 2.0(rebuilding the .1 at the mo)so just looking for the pair.

i've got a set of mordaunt short 902i's at the mo but i think one is blown (think my nephews killed it)

think i'd like a set of floor standers but just don't know what makes to be looking at?

also would like them to be black and not more than about £400

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Rega RS1's in Piano Black.

Awesome speakers and very easy to place - that's if you want new of course.

rs1.jpg

Octy VRS
I'd be looking at B&W and KEF. Maybe slightly over budget for new floorstanders but there is nothing wrong with second hand.

Polo + Micra
I'd be looking at B&W and KEF. Maybe slightly over budget for new floorstanders but there is nothing wrong with second hand.

tbh i'm not bothered if they are second hand as i guess most people who spend money on decent speakers will look after them

that's sort of why i was looking for decent makes to look out for.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

There are MUCH better options for me personally than these two - I think they're overpriced for what they offer...

A.N. Other
B&W aren't crap, but they have a sound that a lot of people might not prefer. I got JM Lab last time I wanted stereo speakers in that price range, as I thought they sounded better for the music I listen to.

Polo + Micra
well i use them for everything (tv, xbox, mp3s) so a fairly all round use

i'd a little more punch in the mid bass area thats sort of why i was after floor standers but they are bit more pricey

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Audio equipment is such a personal thing - if you intend on doing it properly you need to go to your local dealer and start demo'ing equipment at home.

I've akways personally been a fan of Royd, Neat and Rega Speakers partnered with Exposure, Rega or Alchemist amps.

Octy VRS
Lol, yeah B&W are s**t. Clueless.

As Daz said, demo stuff. I've personally always liked B&W for electronic music, which is generally what I listen to.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Ive just got some Monitor Audio BX2's, sound brilliant. Under your budget too at £250 ish.

It all depends what type of music you listen to, I demo'd some B&W's and as above... seemed to respond well to electronic/dance music but thats not really what I listen to. The M/A's are quite well rounded, good bass in the BX2's ad the mid/highs have superb clarity.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
wharfedale diamond 10.5s are about that money. come in black, or you can get various woods with gloss fronts etc. good looking speakers and probably some of the best sounding speakers made tbh, they have separate speakers in them for sound levels which makes them sound awesome

SQ5
Lol at B&W being s**t. Being a dealer of the speakers, and only a select amount of people having a direct account, I can assure the quality of the sound and the engineering into the speakers are epc.

What would you recommend instead of B&W speakers? Because I think in the new year we need to sack of B&W as there clearly s**t by your standard and have to go on to whatever you recommend.

Not a 320d
Overpriced..........

Im sorry. Doesnt make them s**t. I suppose Dre Beats arent s**t either. Just not worth the absurd money they cost.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
B&W are not s**t but they are like every other type of audio equipment out there, a personal choice.

When I used to work in a hi-fi shop people used to go mad for the castles and missions as they'd read somewhere they were ACE0RZ! and they wanted some - 22 seconds of listening time they were sold and off they went happy.

When I took them home (752 freedoms and Severns I think they were) I found the missions to be lazy and rich and the Severns just mulled everything I piut through them into a fine wine and spat it back sending me to sleep.

Ended up with a pair of very limited Ms10i Classics - not many will have ever listened to the classics which is a big shame as they're a proper little music box.

SQ5
It's the same with the whole range of all B&W speakers. You can pay £200 for a pair of CCM616 ceiling speakers and they're great speakers for a couple of hundred. We then out the CCM665's to the same amp just all via a switch. The sound clarity and depth changed immensely.

B&W do a whole range from £100 up to very very expensive £'00000's, something for every budget!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I can think of a million better brands than Wharfdale - I personally don't think they've made a decent set of stereo speakers for decades.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
A mate of mine used to have Linn everything, top quality stuff... you pay the price for it though!

How big is the room, floor standers might be a little boomy

Polo + Micra
they were on ebay second hand

room isn't that big but the speakers i have at the mo are not really there in the mid/bass department

Listerine & Poledo
it's a cambridge audio 650A

Richer sounds default choice.

My Diamonds are quite old (ebay job) but take 2 amps worth of power and do very good things with it.

But normally I just use the Arcam Delta 90 for it. 80's amp, plenty of heavyweight power

Polo + Micra
Richer sounds default choice.

My Diamonds are quite old (ebay job) but take 2 amps worth of power and do very good things with it.

But normally I just use the Arcam Delta 90 for it. 80's amp, plenty of heavyweight power

not really a fan of old skool looking amps so at the time that was the choice.

Listerine & Poledo
I getcha.

Nothing at all wrong with CA stuff anyway, my bedroom kit is an entry-level CA amp and some Eltax bookshelfers. Now THAT is Richer sounds default! :)

But, again, still a lot better than spending £150 on a Sony all-in-one or similar.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
The Wharfdale Diamond range get very good reviews.

indeed, i have diamonds with a denon 1910 amp and it is a brilliant set up. anyone who thinks there speakers are s**t are clearly deaf or a moron

Tesla MP3 2021
Well we went for the diamond 10.4 in the end due to the budget being slightly less. Got them for a cracking price, sub £300

Can't wait to test them out :)