ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New SM Intakes via group buy.

182T
These injector plugs are on a spare Williams loom I have.
20160517_140833.jpg

This is using these plugs and the injector correctly seated.
20160517_141656.jpg

So still a bit off. This is why.
20160517_142203.jpg

There is actually a bit more clearance than it looks in this pic - maybe 1mm.

Reactions: Gus
  MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Hmmz and how much do you have to skim of that connector to get it to fit ?
If you have these spare anyway :wink:

Other option is to basically remove everything apart from the middle of the connector and secure it with a small ammount of hotglue (easily removable).
You can always restore it back to standard anyway by putting a new connector on:up:

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
They do fit out of the box! But not at the angle you want them to be.
Im pretty sure that the injector rail is also putting the injectors at a slightly different angle when bolted on.

So we can be pretty clear that this is not a direct bolt on set, it gets you going in the right direction but it definately needs some modifications here and there :tonguewink:

Doesn't have to be a dealbreaker though, its still loads cheaper than a RS2.

Last edited:
  182T
Found these, save the originals. The runners on this new design are 3mm wider, I assume that is what has led to this small hurdle.
ev1 to honda obd2-600x600 edit.jpg

Reactions: Gus

melchy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182, BMW M240i
Are you able to say which one's are required. I had a look on the website but it wasn't immediately obvious.

melchy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182, BMW M240i
How are people dealing with the coolant pipe that the intake rests and puts pressure on? Are you shortening the pipe, replacing with an aftermarket samco or silimar or some other mechanism.
I wonder if it would be useful to put together a guide for fitting the inlet and what additional parts are required to make the job easier and any major "gotchas" that people come across. It would be especially useful for people like me that are not all that great with a spanner :smile:

Last edited:
  dan's cast offs.
How are people dealing with the coolant pipe that the intake rests and puts pressure on? Are you shortening the pipe, replacing with an aftermarket samco or silimar or some other mechanism.
I wonder if it would be useful to put together a guide for fitting the inlet and what additional parts are required to make the job easier and any major "gotchas" that people come across. It would be especially useful for people like me that are not all that great with a spanner :smile:

Chop a piece out of the stat cover and weld it back on so pipe points down slightly.

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Been working with the connectors yesterday and found out that you can easily remove the terminals from the connector with a modded tweezer (bent them a bit outwards instead of inwards) :wink:
Ill be getting myself some used connectors and remove allot of plastic till the bare minimum is left.
Remove the original connectors from the loom with the tweezer and put on the modified connectors instead.
Secure it in place with some shrink sleeve -> looks good and is easily removable if needed :up:

Checked the fuel rail angle of the injectors as well -> with it bolted on its slightly off in angle so needs adressing as well (in my case that is... but could be different with another one).

Last edited:
  MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Yes i did the exact same thing, but they need to be a specific length to get the angle of the injectors just right.
I made them to small before, which is the reason they are not sitting right at this time :kissing:
You need a 8mm tube pipe for anyone going this route.

182T
Yes i did the exact same thing, but they need to be a specific length to get the angle of the injectors just right.
I made them to small before, which is the reason they are not sitting right at this time :kissing:
You need a 8mm tube pipe for anyone going this route.

What length did you cut?

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Well i made all the modifications i wanted to to.

First up the fuel rail :
Ditched the bolts and went with this -> m6 and all tapered making it 1000x easier to adjust with 2 nuts.
1 nut before the fuel rail and one after.
Its sitting allot smarter now especially with the injectors at the correct angle.
2j0xnv5.jpg

Then the injectors :
Went to the local wrecking yard and got a few injector connectors.
Right the original -> left the "slim" modded version.
2i9127m.jpg

Then i decided to just cut of the original connectors as the cables where way to short anyway.
Extended them with the soldering iron which made it allot easier to fit everything and none of the injector cables is under stress now as well:wink:
And mounted/secured with the heat shrink :up:
oqvrqd.jpg

2196d5.jpg

While i was at the wrecking yard i found a nice VW flexible hose. Exactly the diameter/length that we need to make it look factory/work :cool:
From a VW ->
20z2q77.jpg

2ic4obk.jpg

rcsr2q.jpg

Finished :
120tuoo.jpg

Also went with a different filter -> This is the RC-9290 from K&N (pretty large and snug at this spot).
Also changed the throttle cable, was using a aftermarket part before which "worked" but it was lacking the feel of the old setup.
Now i put in a original K4M throttle cable and cut of about 7cm the outer hose and i can confirm that this is allot better as well.

Went for a drive to test everything -> it went allot better than it did before :fearscream::cool:
Definatelly happy with the time i spend to get it setup like i wanted it ... but now :beers:

Last edited:

melchy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182, BMW M240i
That looks absolutely brilliant. Bet you are looking forward to getting it mapped. :cool:

Can I ask what length of M6 threaded bar you bought, did you cut down a 1 metre bar or buy them pre-sized. What length did you use in the end to attach the fuel rail? Which model of VW did you find the flexible hose on, it looks ideal. I may need to go hunting at a local scrap yard :smile:

This may be a daft question, but how do you determine the correct injector angle?

Last edited:
  MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
Yep def looking forward to that :grin:
I haven't measured the length though but at a guess its about 11cm each side.
It came off a golf 4 but i noticted the same hose on different other VW's as well so i guess its a pretty common part :up:

The injector angle need to be in the same as the hole in the intake.
I tried the injectors at different angle's but can now confirm that it def performs and feels better.
So to get the best performance on these intakes they need to be at the angle Renault intended them to be. Its a bit of work to get it to fit but -> worth it!

Last edited:

ZSCLIO

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 182
To save clogging up the actual for sale/group buy thread currently active, I've created this one for updates from people when they receive, fit, map theirs etc or questions.

Mine is currently in transit and I should be arranging mapping today with dan@ sjm, fitting in 10 days time, then mapping in 2 weeks (if space available).

Would you be able to link as to where i can order one of these from please?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Mine is in and up and running, not quite 100% happy yet - still a couple of small bits to change, mainly the cone positioning and tubing but all running great. Also need to sort a bracket for the ECU. No mapping yet. I'll get a guide together soon as I can.View attachment 156244
Looks good, did you go for the 15 degree ASH hose. I have cut a fair bit of metal from the bracket behind the headlight as it helps with the fit.

182T
Looks good, did you go for the 15 degree ASH hose. I have cut a fair bit of metal from the bracket behind the headlight as it helps with the fit.
Yes, I'll likely cut that bracket out too at some point. I'll be moving the battery at a later stage so will do it then. I have 3 solid engine mounts do I'm not expecting much movement to cause problems in the short term, the offset filter flange helped. How is yours going?

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
These are looking good!! I'm waiting till everyone is 100% happy with there set up then I'm going to get mine fitted!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Mine is in and up and running, not quite 100% happy yet - still a couple of small bits to change, mainly the cone positioning and tubing but all running great. Also need to sort a bracket for the ECU. No mapping yet. I'll get a guide together soon as I can.View attachment 156244
Intake looks smart, it makes the Renault parts around it look shabby!
Good job getting it in, when's it being mapped?

182T
Yeah, showing up the rest of the bay now! More for the never ending list.

Mapping is this friday but i won't have figures as its being road mapped.

I have various spare engine parts which are gathered ready to paint and swap over at some point.

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
@DSilvaSport
looks good! How did you tackle the injectors and fuel rail as i see that your fuel rail is at an even lower angle than mine. You even had to cut a bit off the "useless" FPR location :wink:

182T
With the FPR part in place this injector isn't sitting square.
20160521_162836.jpg

No use for it on 182 so chopped ..
20160521_164046.jpg

it then measured this distance to determine tube length required (excuse the old calipers).
20160521_165310.jpg
I ended up with this.

20160522_203403.jpg

20160521_171252.jpg

I also noticed that the bolt holes on the runners and the bolt hole bracket part on the fuel rail are not perpendicular when the injectors are seated square..
20160521_171007.jpg

so added a slight angle to the tube I used.
20160521_165124.jpg

resulting in..
20160521_171036.jpg

If you have used threaded bar I assume that will therefore lift your fuel rail higher than mine.
All this may not be the most appropriate way to do it but I'm not an engineer or mechanic, I've just made it up as I've gone along.

MX5 NC 2.0 Sport
good luck with the mapping today @DSilvaSport
Are you running a cat on your 182 ?
Everybody is pretty curious about the outcome :cool::up:

Just went for the first long drive in the sunflower after all the mods i done last week (its not my daily).
Made a big difference, pulls even better in 5th from 70mph -> 120mph.
The intake definatelly gave an improvement in the low down torque :grin:
Really pleased with the results even before mapping!

phase 1 flamer 172
Mine arrived well over a week ago, tracked it on worldwide parcel force, but it took a while before it showed up on the site, arrived soon afterwards.