ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Sidelights + comparison pics

Well, sad that I am, I've managed to get through about 4 sets of sidelight bulbs in the year or so that I've had the car, so I thought I'd post up the latest set and show them compared to the others that I've had :)

The ones I've bought recently are PIAA Extreme White (the H222 ones) as they are proper bulbs rather than LED's. They apparently give off 10W of light from the 5W bulb.

So do they?

See below... :clown:

Right, in all the pics below, the bulb on the drivers side of the car / on the left of the pic is the new PIAA bulb. The bulb on the passenger side changes from picture to picture... geddit? lol

So...

PIAA Extreme White compared to bog standard halfords jobbies:
cimg3553half3qu.jpg
cimg3534half2fh.jpg

Crap and yellow. Boooo!

PIAA Extreme White compared to single-LED sidelights off ebay:
cimg3554half6kf.jpg
cimg3535half8ik.jpg

Nice and cheap at £2 delivered, fairly bright at night, not too blue, but one failed within 2 months as the LED's don't cope with the heat from the main bulb that well.

PIAA Extreme White compared to 6-LED sidelights off UltraLEDs:
cimg3555half9ev.jpg
cimg3536half0hp.jpg

Nice and bright, good white colour, but expensive at over half the price of the PIAAs because, as above, the LED's fail due to the heat from the main bulb. I've had two sets of these and they both failed within 3-4 months.
With 6 LEDs instead of one it means you can run them for longer as if one goes you still have 5 left (and so on), but they do flicker as they're dying, meaning they look stupid and can attract attention from the boys in blue.
Also, my review that I wrote on the website pointing out that they fail quite quickly mysteriously disappeared... :rolleyes:
(They might last a decent time in a town-dwelling mk2 where the sidelights are in with the main beam bulb rather than the combined H4 bulb that mk1's have, as you wouldn't use main beam that much so hopefully wouldn't kill them that quickly. Perhaps...)

Both PIAA bulbs in together:
cimg3556half8mr.jpg
cimg3537half9cd.jpg

Seem to be virtually but not quite as bright as the 6-LED ones but hopefully they'll last longer as they shouldn't be affected by heat...
They better last for the price I paid! lol

(Oh, and thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting! lol)

Last edited: