ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New rear tyres = Twitchy

Titanium 182
Just had a pair or Uniroyal Rainsport2's put on the rear now its very twitchy. i know they have to wear in etc but was just wondering if this is normal for it to feel so unstable?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Check the pressures, most tyre places just put the same pressure in for every car they fit tyres to.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Ive just had them tyre put on the fronts, give em 10miles or so and the fresh top rubber wears off :) and pressure on these do effect the twitchyness allot,

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
As said check pressures. Will take a little wearing in aswell. Just go easy on them.

Titanium 182
First things i checked was the presures and if they were on correct . They were suprisingly on at 30psi which is normal isnt it ? and they were both on correctly . would it be worth me putting them on to the front or will that not make any differance?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I use 33 on the front and 31 on the back, but 30 on the back's fine.

I thought my car was broken when I got new tyres, took a while for them to grip properly, it's normal.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Yeah 30-31 psi at the rears , 33-35 At the fronts going from owners manuall.

Suppose you could put them on the front but I don't think it will make much difference

First things i checked was the presures and if they were on correct . They were suprisingly on at 30psi which is normal isnt it ? and they were both on correctly . would it be worth me putting them on to the front or will that not make any differance?

Your tyre pressures seem fine. I definately think it would be worth swapping fronts to rears. You will be supprised at the result - will feel much tighter handling. Otherwise just put up with it until they scrub down a bit, that's the problem, as others have already said.

Dodgy one
28 up front, 30 in the rear. I use Pzeros though, different manufacturers its worth playing with i used to run my michelins a lot harder on the front

Nippy white cup
I changed my tyres years back to rainsports and got rid pretty quickly. Probably really good tyres but when I put them next to the standard contis and pushed down (obviously not when on the wheels lol) the contis were much firmer which I assume is due to stiffer sidewalls. When I set off in the uniroyals it felt like the car was floating about...not a positive feeling at all. I checked the pressures too but they were spot on but any remotely quick direction changed felt very loose. Maybe after a while it might have improved but I wasn't convinced it would make that much difference

2003 Clio 172
I would be of a different opinion completely Chris but of course, its all subjective.....

I agree that the Conti's certainly felt harder at the same pressure but they just didn't give that feeling of eating into the tarmac as the RS2's did..........then there was also the rain benefit which I DID feel over the Conti's.

Also, bang per buck is great with RS2's

Definately a good scrub in though........need that wispy top coating hooned off them :)

J