ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New rear discs fitted. Broken wheel bearing content

Clio 197 RB
After a few weeks of a horrible noise coming from the back of the car, it was diagnosed that it was a faulty wheel bearing. So I got them fitted on today and here is the faulty wheel bearing. Not looking very good at all.

8C3554A4-C858-4E19-A968-E56253B230AC-4320-000008E8C457018F.jpg

Now the car sounds normal again. So nice. But I had my drivers side handbrake cable snap this week, so another thing to do. Lol.

Non genuine discs? As above spacer not fitted or under/over torqued up??

Guranteed scoring of the stub axle would be shocked if it isn't.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Im guessing with the above comments thats its item No8

RearBrakes.gif

Last edited:
  Clio 197 RB
I got the rear discs and pads from G172, Brembo ones.
He didn't say anything apart from reusing the old ABS ring.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
I got the rear discs and pads from G172, Brembo ones.
He didn't say anything apart from reusing the old ABS ring.

Alright mate, sorry if i didn't. I normally add on the bottom of a PM about re-using the little spacers (as they can be thrown away by mistake as they sometimes become stuck to old disc) and to re-torque hub nut to 175.

Hope you're sorted now.

Lionel Richie
well then they'll be f**ked in about 2weeks flat!

spacers come with the car, not with the discs, it seems yours have gone AWOL like a lot of other cars, no spacers = f**ked bearings quickly

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
As Fred has said, they should be with the car, no discs come with them.

You need two of this part number mate:

6000073518 around £7 each.

Get in contact with Wests Renault on here i'm sure he'll sort you out asap.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Number 8 (or Thrush washer) as it was called by Renault took 3 days to arrive from France when i put it on the wrong way and subsequently broke it into 100 bits lol

Clio 197 RB
Yea it's f**king obvious isn't it, even my dad who used to be a mechanic missed it.
If I wasn't a member of this forum and I bought these brakes off of eBay and fitted them, then I wouldn't have even known.
Now people have mentioned it I can rectify the problem.

Lol.

And G172, I've got the old discs still I'll find out if the spacers are still on there first. Cheers.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It is obvious? Discs look completely different with it missing. Always compare what you take off with new.

Clio 197 RB
And what if the olds discs didn't have the spacer? Then they look the same!

Its a piece of piss job to do anyway, just the bolts were quite tight to take off as the brakes probably hadn't been done for a while, but they should come off nice and easy now.

Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

Clio 197 RB
Just checked the old discs, doesn't look as though the spacers are on them so, either the spacers are still on the car or I have been running those old brakes for 2 years plus without spacers?

Yes mate that was why I asked in the first place as I guess they had been run without hence all the damage in the first pic! Just grab a couple from Renault and pop them on so that it doesn't damage your new set :)

No not all the time, Mine didn't have the spacer's for a while and I didn't know until I took the disc's off the first time! There was no play until it shagged the bearings, it had ground the bottom of the stub axle on mine though where the disc had been rubbing on it

Monaco 172
Just a question but sayin i didnt have the spacer fitted could this cause a scrapping noise that gets louder on a certain part of wheel rotation? My problem is i got a scraping noise on my rear left disc and when i turn right it gets louder still :s