ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New plates made up

Impreza & Clio 172
Had a pair of new plates made up courtesy of work with the spacing i required looks loads better
IMG_0924_zpsjmsqjuej.jpg

Impreza & Clio 172
Confirmation letter from DVLA she will be taxed and on the road from the 16th this month, then the Impreza comes off the road and the 172 upgrades and subtle mods begin.
Plate came on the car when i bought it and will stay on the car until i either buy a Liquid yellow 172 or win the lottery to space bubble my car for eternity lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
And you know if they wanted to be an ass and asked where you got them from the person who made them probably won't be making plates again. We make plates in work (car sales) and if I get asked to move a letter my reply is 'soz computer won't let us do that'

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You'll never get pulled for that. Not unless the copper has recently caught his boss banging his wife and his football team has been relegated.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
its hardly unreadable.

youd have to get a proper jobsworth copper to pull him for that plate imo

Impreza & Clio 172
Its down to Officers discretion i have read the number plate law rules inside out and its spaced as per Vosa rules and regulations (i work in the industry) if they want to be technical its upto them but i see worse spaced plates everyday day of the week.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You're wrong. The plates are illegal. That's not opinion it's fact.

I still stand by the opinion you'd be obscenely unlucky to get pulled but the fact remains, they're illegal.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Of course they illegal lol, it's one word. As Daniel says unless he needs the hassle then you won't get pulled.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
its hardly unreadable.

youd have to get a proper jobsworth copper to pull him for that plate imo

Wont take long then [emoji23].

Jokes aside it's illegal. Reminds me I need to change mine after getting a nice £100 ticket on it.

Impreza & Clio 172
For the technical ones that like to be PC refer to dvla INF104 page 9 which clearly states the below copied rules directly from VOSA.
They may be 'Illegal' but as the software used to print the plates at work are formatted by Vosa which will not allow for silly plates to be made with incorrect spacing or obscene words etc.

For vehicles with new or replacement number plates fitted from 1 September 2001, registration numbers can no longer be shown over three lines (unless the vehicle was first registered before 1 January 1973). Also, the letters and numbers (characters) on number plates bought since 1 September 2001 will need to meet the following standards. n Characters must be 79mm tall n Characters (except the number 1 or letter I) must be 50mm wide n The character stroke (the thickness of the black print) must be 14mm n The space between characters must be 11mm n The space between the age identifier and the random letters must be 33mm n The margins at the top, bottom and side of the plate must be 11mm n Vertical space between the age identifier and the random numbers must be 19mm

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Don't worry, haven't seen a panda car on the road in about 5 years.

13 years ago, when I was 17, I got pulled over every 5 minutes in my 106 Rallye. For no other reason than loud exhaust or 4 point harness'

Let's have a poll in terms of miles how long it takes you to get a ticket.

I'm all for different sizing - if it's within the restrictions.

For example I've a vehicle with a 5 character plate and had it made with the characters at the correct size, spaced legally but with less 'excess' either end - but within legislation.

Initially looks 'illegal' and no doubt one day I'll be pulled up on it - but I'll be able to explain and prove it meets the requirements.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
To be honest most old bill really haven't got time to be dealing with slightly iffy number plates. As long as it's easily readable you won't have too many issues. However if you do get pulled and fined you can't really moan about it.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
To be honest most old bill really haven't got time to be dealing with slightly iffy number plates. As long as it's easily readable you won't have too many issues. However if you do get pulled and fined you can't really moan about it.

Pretty much this, you'd be pretty unlucky to get a tug for a slightly iffy plate.

I know someone who'd been driving around without tax for over a month recently, silly bugger forgot to check when it was due and had not bothered to open any post! He never got in any trouble (might still expect a DVLA fine tho).

Impreza & Clio 172
Been using the car for the last week and attended a little mini meet at a local pub with the scooby club and I'm happy to report a lovely traffic officer doesn't see the issue with my plates as it's clear to read.

As he said to us in the car park there is a fine line with plate styles, fonts, borders etc and as my plate is legal in size and context it won't give me any issues as it's still readable with his ANPR gun in the car, which I'm thankful didn't chuck up any flags lol

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Been using the car for the last week and attended a little mini meet at a local pub with the scooby club and I'm happy to report a lovely traffic officer doesn't see the issue with my plates as it's clear to read.

As he said to us in the car park there is a fine line with plate styles, fonts, borders etc and as my plate is legal in size and context it won't give me any issues as it's still readable with his ANPR gun in the car, which I'm thankful didn't chuck up any flags lol

It's a shame he didn't tell you that it looks gash though ;)

Impreza & Clio 172
That may be the case but it came on the car when i bought it so its staying. It would get my personal plate otherwise.