ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New PC i7 Setup Help and ADVICE (Nvision3d).............

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Guys i'm having a nightmare and could really do with peoples opinions.

I am at my wits end with all this hence me coming back to my cliosport roots for help!

OK. At the moment i have a dell ultrasharp 24" panel... 2d. Awesome.

fine. I just bought a brand new setup including

i7 @ 4.6 2600k andybrudge
gigabyte mobo with usb3, uefi bios etc etc
crucial m4 solid state
x1 PNY Nvidia 580

So i thought well lets get the 3d action in.

I bought a benq 24" 3d monitor (1080p) - hated it. Was nowhere near as good as my dell, back light bleeding, totally shite. Sent it back. Then bought a Samsung 27" 950D which apparently was full 3d and according to OCUK staff worked iwth nvidia nvision. Only 1080p but was told it was the best of the best 3d and size wise.

Well it doesn't do nvidia stuff....

So i have a monitor which as nice as it is, only works with Ati HD3D not nvidia nvision...

All the nvidia monitors i've seen are only 24" and the benq apparneyl was the best one.

So i'm faced with the choice of,

1) send back the 580 and get a ati gcard 6970 or something and try this 'other lesser' hd3d thing"

2) send back the beautiful samsung monitor whch looks great even if only at 1080p and get a crappier nvidia approved monitor

3) forget the whole 3d thing and get a 27" dell ultrasharp which will be as good as my current.

PLEAS HELP

i'm sick of all this and don't really know what to do

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Give me more than that mate?! have you tried 3d gaming? i've not tried the nvidia or ati versions but i played one on a sony laptop and was blown away! no bids??

Monaro VXR
ATI's HD3D requires 3rd party software. There are a couple of main ones. They do things different so in some games one is better than the other. It's not really worse than Nvidias setup in some titles the ATI version is superior.

But I thought the whole point of the Samsung screens was they did 3D without the need for the 3D vision bits. So you could get 3D without the kit.

There are also some hacks around to get it working with 3D vision though. So have a look around, it is one of the better monitors out. If it just takes a little messing surely worth it rather than going to a lower quality monitor.

Also you won't really get better than 1080P with 3D. Purely down to bandwidth limitations. The 120hz signal at that res is right on the limit.

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS
Im just wondering, do you fancy buying anything else without researching it first or have you calmed down now? Lol

The Asus 3G variant which is a 23 is by far the best. 3D eats framerate so if you're planning on trying to get it working any higher than 1080 you might want to get another 580. Not kidding.

ATi 3D is a joke, don't touch it. If you're that fussed about your screen size just wait. There are a few decent 27s on the way that support nvision. Just to clarify you have got the 3D vision kit as well?

Last edited:
Save some money and buy a reference 6950 then flash it to a 6970. You get beer money, and a decent card that holds it own (very well) for £190.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Yep got the 3d vision kit. Thing is i did research... and i also asked OCUK... i heard about the hack and if you speak to samsung direct they say 'it should work' but they're opinions seemed to change everytime i phoned them. In the end i did settle on the asus 23" which is just shockingly good in 3d with all the relevant kit. It's a size downgrade from my current but the 2d quality is solid and it was a lot cheaper than the sammie.

Crysis 2 on the 580, with the nvision kit and the asus is unmatched. Tiny bit of backlight bleed but it's not that bad and i don't really watch movies on it anyway.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
I can vouch for it. Best one out there (3d wise), i know, cause i tested most of them lol