ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New owner 172 Help Needed!!

Renault Clio 172
I’m a new owner of a Renault Clio 172 definitely gonna be a project got it for a steal probably relflects the condition lol runs fine as far as I can tell it has 99000 miles on it needed radiator and alternator replacing which has now been done now just needs exhaust and a mot which will be done this weekend no service history is there any way of knowing if it will need cam belt changing? It’s been off the road for a year Like I said I got the car for a steal of a guy who I know who just needed it gone for space I’m only about 400 pound in including the work already done! Also it’s in flame red so if anybody breaking one I’m on the hunt for a petrol filler cap/flap can’t seem to find one anywhere! Originally bought to sell it on but drove it and it’s such fun to drive I’m gonna keep it for a toy help much appreciated and if anybody can point me in the direction of people with parts for sale exhaust possibly some cup suspension alloys would be much appreciated only so much eBay can do for me lol
017F57EC-1C8E-465B-8339-011602829B6E.jpeg

Attachments

• FC1D14D4-6B0F-4A57-81BC-D37A17023059.jpeg
    FC1D14D4-6B0F-4A57-81BC-D37A17023059.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 157
  Land Rover
Looks good.
It’s a great feeling when you get a car pretty much for free, and it turns out to be OK.

If you don't know when they were last done, get them done. Or alternatively leave it and hope for the best. But get some break down cover though.

Land Rover
I guess at a total outlay of £400 you could just drive the thing, and if it blows up then break it, you’d likely get more than £400 for parts.
And then scrap the rest.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome to the club. You got a bargain there! Belts wise you've got to decide how much you want to invest in the car. Doing them would put you upto about £1k so far and I would say you'd get that back if you sold it. Cup shocks aren't expensive new, springs are so go aftermarket there. Pay £10 to be a member here and run riot in the parts for sale section!

Renault Clio 172
I guess at a total outlay of £400 you could just drive the thing, and if it blows up then break it, you’d likely get more than £400 for parts.
And then scrap the rest.
Yeah that’s true not like I’m far in at the moment needs exhaust doing and a mot putting on hopefully this weekend providing I can find a exhaust then to be honest il probably put it up for sale and run it until it’s gone it’s just so fun to drive for what they are there good little cars!

Land Rover
If you MOT it and sort out the exhaust/ fuel filler etc it would probably be worth at least £1,000
So you could make a few hundred profit.

Renault Clio 172
Welcome to the club. You got a bargain there! Belts wise you've got to decide how much you want to invest in the car. Doing them would put you upto about £1k so far and I would say you'd get that back if you sold it. Cup shocks aren't expensive new, springs are so go aftermarket there. Pay £10 to be a member here and run riot in the parts for sale section!
Ahh is that what you do iv been looking for parts and can’t seem to find anything struggling to use this website to be honest il get used to it and yeah been looking at cup suspension and I’m also needing a exhaust back box possibly going to fix the little bits needed doing for mot and look into replacing the cam belt next month if I keep it risk it until then as far as I can tell it seems ok enginewise it seems to run fine would there be any signs of it going for me to look out for?

Renault Clio 172
If you MOT it and sort out the exhaust/ fuel filler etc it would probably be worth at least £1,000
So you could make a few hundred profit.
Yeah need to find one first! Someone mentioned paying ten pound to join on here so I can see parts or something going to try do that now as I can’t find a filler cap anywhere

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh is that what you do iv been looking for parts and can’t seem to find anything struggling to use this website to be honest il get used to it and yeah been looking at cup suspension and I’m also needing a exhaust back box possibly going to fix the little bits needed doing for mot and look into replacing the cam belt next month if I keep it risk it until then as far as I can tell it seems ok enginewise it seems to run fine would there be any signs of it going for me to look out for?
Cam belts have been known to last much longer than the stated intervals. It's usually the aux belt that fails due to the tensioner or a pully failing and then it gets wrapped around the cam belt and f***s the engine. If the cam belt doesn't have signs of being very old you could just have a new aux kit fitted and chance it, potentially halving the chance of failure.
You're in Huddersfield? There's a few guys on here from that area.

Renault Clio 172
Cam belts have been known to last much longer than the stated intervals. It's usually the aux belt that fails due to the tensioner or a pully failing and then it gets wrapped around the cam belt and f***s the engine. If the cam belt doesn't have signs of being very old you could just have a new aux kit fitted and chance it, potentially halving the chance of failure.
You're in Huddersfield? There's a few guys on here from that area.
Well if any of them see this and want to come have a look and listen there more than welcome! Haha yeah I know once it go’s thats it game over! See what happens this weekend as to getting a few bits done wont be able to afford the 600 for the belts done until next month anyway so leaves me some time to decide chances are il get rid make a few hundred quid profit and throw the money towards somat else or maybe even another Clio with proof of work done a bit of service history etc

Renault Clio 172
Great pics mate.
She doesn’t look 2 bad for 180 quid haha! what isn’t in the pic is the water leaking out of the radiator onto the floor or the battery light on the dash due to alternator not working sorted now just the fuel filler and a little tidying up to do!

Ex 182 owner
Nice effort for £180

Pay some subs and get access to the sales section here.. its well worth it for cheap parts.

Just make sure you buy 54mm spaced front shocks if you buy some. Don't be tempted by 182 cup shocks thinking they are the same.

All the best

Renault Clio 172
Nice effort for £180

Pay some subs and get access to the sales section here.. its well worth it for cheap parts.

Just make sure you buy 54mm spaced front shocks if you buy some. Don't be tempted by 182 cup shocks thinking they are the same.

All the best
Thank you for the advise much appreciated will see what I can get done this weekend!

Renault Clio 172
I'm only in Huddersfield, I'll keep an eye out for this.
Should be seeing her on the road next weekend got a exhaust awaiting delivery just the one of the springs to replace that’s snapped and she should fly through a mot!

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Nice one- I picked a phase 1 up 2 year ago for £550, was chuffed too. Still love it

Always been torn with spending on it to get up to road/track top spec, or just take it as is to track and thrash it around half dozen times a year as purchased

Sort of went for middle road, spent a bit, but not loads

You decided what you doing with yours long term?