ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New mods - maxogen, exhaust and ECU

Hi there,

Just thought I would post pics and some info on the mods I have just completed on my 172 Mk2.

I did a lot of research, and 100's of emails later, phase 1 of my mods are complete.

I started off installing a 2.5 inch stainless exhaust system, including a high flow cat. I have a Scorpion muffler.

Next was the ITG Maxogen, as shown. I ran a 70mm intake hose from where the fog light used to be, removed the acoustic valve so the hose would fit, and ran it straight to the maxogen.

imgp29235zt.jpg

imgp29250pk.jpg

I then ordered and installed a Renault Sport ECU (Group N) from www.clio-power.org.

Mark was very helpful and answered all my questions, he suggested the mods above. The guy has raced clio's for ages, he knows what he is talking about.

I finally installed the ECU on the weekend, and what can I say.. It's a totally different car!

Heaps more torque and pull throughout the range. The 7800 rpm limiter is awesome. It just keeps going, the large exhaust and IK help the engine breath more at this point. When you change gear, the revs stay up above the 5800-6000 rpm range.

Drivability and throttle response have improved dramatically. Even my 17 inch wheels just want to spin when changing up. There are no more flat spots, I found it used to bog down on low revs, and go no where around the limiter.

2nd gear now revs to 110 km/h. The car sounds awesome! Nice deep roaring sound, and the popping from the exhaust when you let go of the pedal is a nice bonus.

I did a dyno run before I did these mods, it managed 134 HP (100 kw) at the wheels, and 140 lb/ft ( 189.60 nm) of torque. I'll scan the sheet when I do my next run, which should be soon. I'm not expecting huge gains, drivability is hard to measure I guess.

Next on my plans is to order a modified inlet manifold from BenR, and a fast road set of CAMS, then get it re-mapped using the SMT6. This should see it up around the 200 bhp mark, but more importantly, a heap more torque (170+ lb/ft or 230 nm) fingers crossed anyway.

I hope this helps you guys, if you have any questions, please fire away.

I'm well happy with it, at one stage (before I got the ECU) I thought I had just waisted a heap of cash.

peace.

portal from OZ.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Great write up just the mods i would like to do.

To be honest this is all the engine mods needed to keep mpg and reliability.........

I know, the car hasn't handled the same since I put them on.

But they look too good to take off. 16's look too small, I'm a fan of bigger wheels.

Good set of stage 1 mods.

Not many people bother with the right exhaust bore. My first custom exhaust was a 2" bore twin exit on my 182. Second attemp was a 2.5" single exit. You noticed the difference with this straight away engine pulled much better mid range and felt noticebly smoother.

You will soon get bored of it and want more power though - stage 2 then 3 then 4............

Similar set up to my own: 57mm full system with sports cat, ITG filter + silicone elbow + SFS cold air feed, Group N ECU.

I've only done about 50 miles since the exhaust was fitted. Past experience says the ECU could take a couple of hundred miles to notice it. Anyway, revs into 7000s much more easily and consequently should be giving better top-end power, but I feel it was torquier with the OEM exhaust.

/G

Did you remove the acoustic valve? So far the car runs a lot beter with out it, but that could be ther other mods.

VaVa
That's probably down to the ECU mate. I noticed a lack of low down torque after removeing the valve and fitting the Maxogen.

Hopefully a remap will change all that. Not till after christmas though...:dapprove:

193 mk2
The doggy casting of the inlet manifold causes flat spots & even dips in torque & bhp, which i think the maxogen seams to emphasize, as more air is passing through it. the inlet work by benr is a must!!! it will feel better after just doing this, mine did, but you will then be running very lean. so an smt is well worth getting. they both will give you a much nicer torque curve + more power through all the gears & the smt will sort out any fueling issues!

portal172 said:
Did you remove the acoustic valve? So far the car runs a lot beter with out it, but that could be ther other mods.
Yes - I run a 69mm SFS hose straight from the front inlet on the airbox down to a Hillpower scoop in the wheelarch. The SFS hose is wider and keeps its shape much better than the tin foil jobby that Nick fitted originally. The airflow must be alright - you can hear induction noise when the engine's under load, which is quite unusual with the OEM airbox.

193 mk2
do you think the maxogen needs a cold feed & if so is it best connected to it or just in front of it???

I don't think there is much point having a Maxogen if you don't have a cold air feed.

Get rid of the spot light and the acoustic valve, and run a pipe straight to the maxogen, I found 70mm was the perfect size hose.

Whether it's attached or not I don't think will make much difference, as long as the cold air gets in.

193 mk2
i have taken out all of the standard air box & acoustic valve when i put the maxogen in, thats a given but i don't think you need a dedicated cold feed (as in a pipe running from the fog) in less your doing track days especially in this weather, neither do itg, also be carefull in the wet or going through flooded areas as you might pull water into the engine if its sealed.

193 mk2
no i've taken everything out! only left with the original scoop that pushes the air up towards the maxogen, it works really well.