ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Lens upgrade options..Canon 400d. Opinions Req.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
What would people reccommend as a good upgrade from the standard 18-55mm lens.
We have a Canon 70-300mm lens but its the earlier heavy one made for the Film SLR's.
Just after a zoom lens had a look earlier saw the 17-85mm Lens, just need a new walk about lens anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks!

GW RS200
I think the same version of that 18-55 but version II with the IS is meant to be pretty damn good. A 50mm 1.8 is also great fun for not much money, but you have to zoom with your feet!

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Just ordered myself the 50mm f1.8 today off ebay for £55 inc postage and cant wait to get it. Will be going for a telephoto next month as well, not 100% sure which yet, probably the canon 90-300mm

Monaro VXR
I have a Canon 70-300 the IS one. Quite good would like an upgrade in future but can't afford it right now. And just bought the 30mm F1.4 sigma the other day. Which I like.

But I generally use my Sigma 17-70 for most things. Can see that changing now I have the 30mm though just so much easier to get decent pictures from it.

The new Canon 55 - 250 f/4 IS lens is supurb. Shop around for it online and you can get some cracking deals. Awesome lens, esp for motorsport etc.

Edit - just re read your post - I see you want a walk lens!

Whats wrong with the kit lens that makes you want to change it.

Slow shutter speeds (small aperture), range, build quality, Auto focus, all of the above?

I'd say wait personally for the new Sigma 18-125 OS HSM, its not out for probably another month but should be a killer walk around, not the fastest aperture but OS and HSM.

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s74258...kuOfferingPriceASC&IsInStockOnly=False&comp=y

If the range is perfect and speed is an issue look at the Tamron 17-50 or Canon 17-50 f/2.8 IS

As far as I know the Canon 17-85 IS isn't any sharper than the new 18-55 IS that costs a fraction.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Thanks people. Ive been reading the last few days on the Canon 17-85mm..well said by bluepete. Going to go and have a play sometime this week.
I am definately going for a zoom lens not a fixed focus lenght.
I just had a query, Tamron or Sigma...what do people recommend? Reasons?

D

dick

depends on the lens!

sigma generally for me though but id have tamron in a sec if it was optically good.

106 GTi
Whats wrong with the kit lens that makes you want to change it.

Slow shutter speeds (small aperture), range, build quality, Auto focus, all of the above?

I'd say wait personally for the new Sigma 18-125 OS HSM, its not out for probably another month but should be a killer walk around, not the fastest aperture but OS and HSM.

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s74258...kuOfferingPriceASC&IsInStockOnly=False&comp=y

If the range is perfect and speed is an issue look at the Tamron 17-50 or Canon 17-50 f/2.8 IS

As far as I know the Canon 17-85 IS isn't any sharper than the new 18-55 IS that costs a fraction.

That Sigma looks a good option for my next buy.

I grabbed a Canon EF 28 -105mm Lens http://www.richtreen.co.uk/images/lenstest/ as the kit lens on mine has a crap zoom ring on it that made a grinding sound - build quality was so gash and it is full of dust. Really need something wider as my walkabout.

70-200F4 L IS

Nice lens but no walk about if you want a wider range of range. Is very light though.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Lol..I like the shots of the Canon 28-105mm. Seem's like a good lens, Im probably going to go for the Sigma 18-200, going to get down to Jessops and have a look at it during the week. Probably try and find test shots for it too.

106 GTi
Lol..I like the shots of the Canon 28-105mm. Seem's like a good lens, Im probably going to go for the Sigma 18-200, going to get down to Jessops and have a look at it during the week. Probably try and find test shots for it too.

The 28-105 is a decent lens for what it cost, just not wide enough on my 350D as a walkaround.

I am going to go for the one BluePete linked up.