ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Lens for Le-mans

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Right with being off to Lemans in less than a month I'm contemplating picking up a new lens for the trip

Haven't got huge wads of cash to spend around £300 could be a possibility but looking for something to cover most of the bases and get some decent shots of the cars

I've got a Canon 500D but don't know didly squat about which lens would be best for me as I've only ever used the kit lens :(

Any help would be greatly received

RB 182
If you're on a budget, you really cannot go wrong with the Canon 55-250 IS, it's tack sharp, has image stabilisation, and can be picked up new from as little as £130 from eBay. I've had one and loved it. Regarded as one of the best budget lenses in that reach for optical quality.

riads just bought a 70 - 200 i think, might be wrong though as i dont know much.

get something that you can pan with as well as close ups i'd say :)

Merc A class
This Lens Sigma 70-300 http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...7abIYW7hAf2vvGFCQ&ved=0CLIBEPMCMAA#ps-sellers

its £90 here

produces images like

7084036949_a9cfe10e0e_z.jpg

BTCC 55 by Riad Ariane, on Flickr

7084037303_eec6d19e07_z.jpg

BTCC 6 Griffin by Riad Ariane, on Flickr

Bargain ;)

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for all the suggestions 55-250 looks pretty good value!

DK dont fancy renting think id be paranoid knowing it wasn't my lense and possibly damaging it etc altho saying that the prices are pretty reasonable but i can imagine they wouldn't be prepared to rent it without a deposit if I'm taking it to lemans etc

Cheers riad how many lenses you planning on taking?

Merc A class

DK dont fancy renting think id be paranoid knowing it wasn't my lense and possibly damaging it etc altho saying that the prices are pretty reasonable but i can imagine they wouldn't be prepared to rent it without a deposit if I'm taking it to lemans etc

Erm

70-300

70-200

24-105

maybe 85 prime

Merc A class
lol okay ill just rock with my pov spec kit kit lens and either one of the two mentioned above go me!

I'm sure it will be fine mate! if your not driving i can lend you something on the way down there but dont fancy chopping and changing when were at the campspite as they will get filthy!

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
i would love to mate i just wouldn't be happy if anything happened to your kit dude thanks for the offer tho, i also don't think I've got the skills to do them justice either tbh would be wasted on me ATM!

dk

911 GTS Cab

thats the whole point of renting one, you are insured, no extra cost for insurance, its included, and don't worry about taking to le mans, i took one to antarctica and was in and out of rubber boats and stepping in water all the time, they weren't bothered, and apart form taking one to iraq, i can't think of a more likely place to lose or damage one, so le mans will be fine. they are cheap too, and a lot of people recommend them i found them very good too.

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
something like this for £50 for 5 days (amazing lens, no real need for IS if you are going to be panning)

http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/canon-ef-70-200mm-f28-l-usm-6-p.asp
or
this for £60 with a lot more length, but i think you can get quite close to the action at le mans right?

http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/canon-ef-100-400mm-f45-56-l-is-usm-11-p.asp

cheers dude I'm confused now lol for £70 i could have a far superior lens but for an extra £50 can have a decent lens which i don't have to give back!

im leaning toward the cannon 55-250 seems to get great reviews and for the money it looks like great value

dk

911 GTS Cab
It's an ok lens, but those lenses on that site are over £1000, I used it to see if I wanted to spend the extra money on the thing I hired, it turns out I didn't, I saved myself a packet.

I hear what you are saying about getting one to keep for doube the amount, le mans is a special event though, so for me personally, I'd want the best chance if decent photos I could get.

Oil Burner
If you buy a used lens you can sell it for the same price when you get back. You will only loose postage.

Bare in mind you want a lens that is good in failing light conditions and ideally as fast as possible as otherwise you won't be able to shoot at night.

£300 will buy you a brand new Tamron 70-300 USD. Much better resolution than the 55-250 but keeping the same slow apertures (actually its fractionally faster being 4-5.6)
Could be a compromise between the faster lenses and the 55-250.

That said I can also see the merit in hiring a fast lens or even buying a second hand one and punting it on when you get back.

I've used this very briefly (borrowing from a friend at work), it seemed ok though I'm pretty sure it doesnt get too good reviews. Has no IS but don't know if you'll need that anyway

Must be worth a punt for £65 though tbh

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
I've used this very briefly (borrowing from a friend at work), it seemed ok though I'm pretty sure it doesnt get too good reviews. Has no IS but don't know if you'll need that anyway

Must be worth a punt for £65 though tbh

ye can't see IS being that usefull in panning shots and @ £65 not exactly hurting the wallet if i don't get on with it

Slow, soft, poor AF and in anything other than bright sunlight, 300mm without the aid of IS is a real b**ch to use (although, I must admit, I don't have the steadiest of hands). I was just disappointed with pretty much everything that I did with it. Admitedly I only used it for one afternoon but I didn't take to it at all. Unlike the 55-250 which I loved immediately.

Oil Burner
300mm is a very hand holdable focal length even on a crop body. IS for motorsport really makes little odds. Only the Pan mode helps (which none of the lenses discussed so far have).

If you want to shoot anything when it is getting dark you will need F2.8 and a High ISO. AF doesnt work well in the dark even on £2k lenses/bodies.

I've never been to LeMans, but most of the spectator images i have seen are Pans (as there arn't many headon shots available). You can use prefocus with manual focus for these, so AF ability shouldnt matter too much.

I would of personally bought a used Sigma 70-200 F2.8 for about £350 and then sold it once i got back.

Having said this, 90% of the people i know that take cameras to LeMans wish they had just not bothered and enjoyed the racing/event.

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Slow, soft, poor AF and in anything other than bright sunlight, 300mm without the aid of IS is a real b**ch to use (although, I must admit, I don't have the steadiest of hands). I was just disappointed with pretty much everything that I did with it. Admitedly I only used it for one afternoon but I didn't take to it at all. Unlike the 55-250 which I loved immediately.

Ohwell ill see how i get on with it can always punt it on if I'm not impressed

300mm is a very hand holdable focal length even on a crop body. IS for motorsport really makes little odds. Only the Pan mode helps (which none of the lenses discussed so far have).

If you want to shoot anything when it is getting dark you will need F2.8 and a High ISO. AF doesnt work well in the dark even on £2k lenses/bodies.

I've never been to LeMans, but most of the spectator images i have seen are Pans (as there arn't many headon shots available). You can use prefocus with manual focus for these, so AF ability shouldnt matter too much.

I would of personally bought a used Sigma 70-200 F2.8 for about £350 and then sold it once i got back.

Having said this, 90% of the people i know that take cameras to LeMans wish they had just not bothered and enjoyed the racing/event.

thanks for the info dude ill have a look out for that lens and see what come up!

That last bit is hugely relevant for me last year i was very much looking forward to shooting, but in the end i hardly took anything as i was too busy enjoying it!

I had a Sigma 70-200 and really rated it. It was bastardly sharp and the HSM AF was pretty good on it. The only problem is that 70-200 f2.8's are weighty bits of glass! I'd be reluctant to recommend one to the casual photographer simply because they're not much fun to lug around all day long!