ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Law starting... Tomorrow???

54 Clio 182 2.0
My mate said that apparently from April 1rst It will become illegal to own a car and not to have it insured even ifn it is in the garage locked away?

Anyone know cant find anything on the subject?

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
If it's sorn it doesn't matter it's just if it's classed as on the road

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
If a car is not insured, it has to be declared SORN.

If the car is taxed, then it has to be insured.

Clio Sport 1.2 16V
That law is 100% money grabbing bullshit! Why do you need to pay for something to be insured if it is going to be stored away on PRIVATE property?! Not read all the pages yet but come on :/ Every car on the road or off the road needing insurance? Thats a fricking rip off, I kept the car off the road for a few days simply because I could not get insurance with my current company until I was 19 so I had to wait a week with the car off the road. Its all getting pathetic now next their will be oxygen tax and insurance.

Listerine & Poledo
well, if you had your car nicked, you'd probably not be happy about, SORN or otherwise.

It wont go under your house insurance.

Bit of 3rd party F&T isn't going to be a bank breaker, lets face it

If i aint using my car and the tax has gone its sorn'd. When it works i tax and insure it...

am i in the wrong, or do i just use my brain?

Last edited:
  Clio Sport 1.2 16V
well, if you had your car nicked, you'd probably not be happy about, SORN or otherwise.

It wont go under your house insurance.

Bit of 3rd party F&T isn't going to be a bank breaker, lets face it

Depends how old you are I am 19 and paying £1300 for TPF&T - I only store my car in a secure gated, high walled and garaged private property so the fact having to insure it just to store it there would really piss me off because that would mean only being able to legally store it there is if I got rid of the tax disc and declared it SORN right?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
if your car is in a garage and it isn't insured or SORN...who will ever know other than you?

Lol.

DVLA and the MID will run monthly checks and when there's a vehicle that doesn't match up with both tax and insurance together at the same time, and that isn't declared as being SORN, a warning will go out to you. Failure to comply will result in a £100 fine and then possible seizure of the vehicle.

Disastra Coupe
Hold on... So, if my bike is SORN over the winter but still insured am i going to get a telling off? Because if say my tax is due in November for example, i'll SORN it until the beginning of spring normally.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Hold on... So, if my bike is SORN over the winter but still insured am i going to get a telling off? Because if say my tax is due in November for example, i'll SORN it until the beginning of spring normally.
No, if its SORN'd AND Insured your ok. If it was SORN'd but NOT Insured you'd get the letter/fine...

Disastra Coupe
No, if its SORN'd AND Insured your ok. If it was SORN'd but NOT Insured you'd get the letter/fine...

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Got a bit worried there lol. Don't want to be taxing my bike through the winter when i never/barely use it 'til Spring.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
If it isn't insured it has to be sorn'd, they can't make you insure it. That's what I read on the leaflet that came through the door.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Sorry my bad... Sleepy brain engaged...

If its SORN'd it doenst have to be insured, but kept off the road (obv)

If its taxed it MUST be insured - whether its on the road or not.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
The new rule is a pain is you tax your cars all year round, then day insure it when you fancy a drive - like i used to do with the Trophy ...

Now means that you also have to go to the post office & tax it as well, which is a slight pain when you fancy a late night 4am drive down some backroads.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Why do people sorn motorbikes.I understand the fair weather bikers and wanting to keep your bikes clean,but surely it cant save a lot of money going sorn rather than insuring it all year round ,and also getting the nice sunny winter morning for a blast...

Disastra Coupe
Why do people sorn motorbikes.I understand the fair weather bikers and wanting to keep your bikes clean,but surely it cant save a lot of money going sorn rather than insuring it all year round ,and also getting the nice sunny winter morning for a blast...

Basically because why pay the tax if you're not using it. My bike never goes out in the winter so i can't justify paying that money during the winter.

That said i can't remember when the Zed is due... Might end up being a case of i have to to be able to ride it at the end of the summer.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
What does it cost to tax though.£60???

We have had some fairly mild days lately so i thought you would of been having a blast...

The new rule is a pain if you tax your cars all year round, then day insure it when you fancy a drive - like i used to do with the Trophy ...

Now means that you also have to go to the post office & tax it as well, which is a slight pain when you fancy a late night 4am drive down some backroads.

This tbh. I know a lad who I think has his car taxed all year, but only insures it with day insure or the likes when he uses the car for trackdays etc. (3-4 times a year) Works out cheaper than insuring it for a full year.

Would be a ball ache having to tax it, then sorn it and claim it back after a few days use.