ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Kindles

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I wouldn't get to excited about the fire as AT PRESENT the video aspect of it wont work in the UK.

But its a nice thing.

Fire2.jpg

fire-chart-2.jpg

Kindle Touch, Meh

2011-09-28ktouchg-2.jpg

And the pauper kindle

amazon-kindle-classic-DSC_0033-rm-verge.jpg

Content from http://thisismynext.com/

Bus w**ker
The Fire looks nice, but I'm still not sure if it will be able to compete with the iPad2. The price is good but I'm not sure if the device itself is up to it.

The Pauper Kindle is a bargain though at £89. Amazing bit of kit.

The Fire looks nice, but I'm still not sure if it will be able to compete with the iPad2. The price is good but I'm not sure if the device itself is up to it.

I don't think it has to. It has Amazon to back it, the Kindle name attached and they already have all the movie/music/book/app store etc which is what the other Android tablets lack.

$199 is a perfect price point. They'll sell them as fast as they can make them. Trying to compete at $499 with the iPad is futile as everyone who has tried is realising, this is the best way to do it.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
So Amazon just forked Android and have now effectively killed the rest of the Android tablet market.

This is brilliant, I'd love to be hearing the conversations going on in Google HQ and other android tablet hardware makers.

AK

M240i
The Kindle, for what it is just now is brilliant.

I don't think these new ones will be as good..

Bus w**ker
The Kindle, for what it is just now is brilliant.

I don't think these new ones will be as good..
Eh? The Kindle Classic is smaller, lighter, improved e-ink, faster processor and probably other things I can't remember too. Oh and a s**t load cheaper.

I don't think you know what you're talking about..

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Prime wont work without a VPN in the UK.

What I'm hoping for is that the bootloader will be hacked and you'll be able to stick a standard Android build on there.

Also I have a VPS.net account, so that's not an issue for me.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The hardware isn't that great, seems a bit strange to remove the main plus point from the device and slap a stock build on.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
I should imagine the build quality will be reasonable, if I can at the very least root it so I can get more than just the apps on the Amazon store I'd be happy.

I assume that kindle (fire) with the coloured display isn't e-ink and rather just your bog standard LCD/led screen?
If so for me I dont think it's really that suitable of a reader compared to my current kindle, a good way to induce major eye strain if you read alot!

dk

911 GTS Cab

Now that's one of the most innovative usages of the cloud I've seen, really clever.

But, the only reservation I have is that they are storing my web usage, I can't help but feel that's slightly encroaching on my civil liberties.

I'm not even sure the law in Germany would allow that type of thing, it's very strict over there on internet usage and monitoring a users habits.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Scirocco 2.0 tsi
I loved the idea of the kindle fire but what puts me off is the fact that my first encounter with a kindle was on a cruise ship, in the sun. The normal ones have that screen that is still clear as day in bright sunlight, this thing will be like an iphone in sunlight and very difficult to see.

The battery also isn't great really.