ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New house, no tv signal.

Not sure whether this goes here, or tech forum, so fell free to move it if you want.

Moved in to new house Saturday. But I cannot get a tv signal with the aerial?? Even tried a booster and bought a new co-axial cable to troubleshoot. Anyone got any ideas? There's an aerial in the roof?

Luckily, my missus had sky multiroom at her parents, so she got that box, and there is a dish and wires (two wires?!?) already installed in the house, so I plugged one of the wires into the sky box, and it works fine. Anyone know how long it will last?

We're getting sky plus installed asap, but want something to watch for the week we have to wait.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Same thing happened with us when we moved into our house.

We later found out we were watching the microwave. Best thing was, the soaps only lasted 3 minutes.

Maybe they don't lol?!?! Have had sky since forever, but obv hasn't been installed yet. But freeview worked back at my parents place, and that doesn't work at this new place.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yep!

My place (new build) didn't have a conventional aerial either.

I got Sky+ fitted ASAP though

The house is only a year old I think, and the previous owners had sky HD installed, and left the dish and that there. So I don't know whether they even bothered to use the normal aerial.

The aerial is connected to a box in the attic, not sure what it is. Just wondered whether anyone is in the know about this kind of thing? I want to have freeview in the bedroom you see, as it rarely be watched and no point having mulitroom tbh.

Formally Clio 182
When I moved into a new house, mine was in the roof as well.

Sky got my business immediately as I needed broadband as well (which happened to be free) :D

Bumder With A Buffer
quite often yes they are for distributing tv signals around the house and usually they are powered to boost the signal

Will go have a look at lunch. Hopefully, that's the problemo.

It will be called a Masthead amplifier I would imagine. There is usually a little box connected in the loft to give it power. Without power it will not work captain!!

Post up some pictures if you want and I/we can help further :)

Bumder With A Buffer
No worries... I imagine it will be either a white box...maybe black... it should open up from the rh side (hinge should be on the left)

It might look something like this

Masthead_Amplifier.jpg

And there should be a power supply for it. Sometimes they are downstairs at the main TV point and people take them when they move thinking that is the Amplifier!! Noooo its the psu for it :)

Has it even got an aerial? (loft / outside of house)? When I bought my place we had to have an aerial installed.

Maybe the last homeowner only used Sky and never had an aerial installed, hence why the standard aerial point dosn't work.

£5 says its a masthead amp. Might be a box just below the ariel on the roof. You'll need a amp. You can get one from Maplins for about £10.

Ok, so yes we have an aerial...

RIMG0180.gif

and yes there is a masthead amp

RIMG0181.gif

What does it do?

I've tried a signal booster, is that different to an amplifier?

Bumder With A Buffer
Ok, so yes we have an aerial...

RIMG0180.gif

and yes there is a masthead amp

RIMG0181.gif

What does it do?

I've tried a signal booster, is that different to an amplifier?

Yes an amplifier is a lot better than a signal booster.

A masthead amp has variable gain usually and allows you you trim the signal coming in. Too little signal... no picture... too strong a signal and you risk boosting interferance too much.

your lucky you know where your aerial is i have no idea where mine is the cable just disappears outside somewhere lol

Bumder With A Buffer
What usually happens is people take the psu units , which sit behind the tv (sometimes), with them thinking that they are the Amplifiers themselves!!!

Im guessing there was no form of psu up in the loft?? Usually they come from a fused spur (like a cooker socket with any switch/holes if you dont know what one is!)

What usually happens is people take the psu units , which sit behind the tv (sometimes), with them thinking that they are the Amplifiers themselves!!!

Im guessing there was no form of psu up in the loft?? Usually they come from a fused spur (like a cooker socket with any switch/holes if you dont know what one is!)

Couldn't see one. There was a load of black wire rolled up (like electrical wire) with the coaxial cables, but it disappeared under the boarding. Maybe will have another look later. Can I just get an amp and put it inline between the socket on the wall and tv? Like you do a booster?

Bumder With A Buffer

Couldn't see one. There was a load of black wire rolled up (like electrical wire) with the coaxial cables, but it disappeared under the boarding. Maybe will have another look later. Can I just get an amp and put it inline between the socket on the wall and tv? Like you do a booster?

Yeah one of these ...

http://www.tvaerials.com/product.aspx?productid=1464

Il have a look and see if I can see any cheaper ones for you... or just search google for "Vision Masthead PSU" or something.

Although thinking about it any 12V masthead Amp PSU should work... its only power they are supplying :)

Ah right, awesome. Will have a look about and see if I can get one ordered up, and hopefully it'll sort it out.

Cheers for explaining it all.

Bumder With A Buffer
No problem... working as an Aerial fitter for a year has its bonuses... even if I am petrified of heights and got stuck on a roof once!!! :)

Got a power unit from maplin yesterday, and plugged it in behind the tv.

It works! Fantastic. I take it there are safe to leave on, and I'm hoping there isn't one hidden in the loft, that'll blow up by having this one. (I'm paranoid lol)

cheers richy.

Bumder With A Buffer
Got a power unit from maplin yesterday, and plugged it in behind the tv.

It works! Fantastic. I take it there are safe to leave on, and I'm hoping there isn't one hidden in the loft, that'll blow up by having this one. (I'm paranoid lol)

cheers richy.

Ahh cool no problem dude! Yeah just lleave it on... they draw piss all current etc anyway. Just remember if you turn it off = no TV!!

I need to get my arse out and do mine tbh! Lazy I am!

Glad you got it working though!

Fiat Punto GT
Get Sky+ ;)

That's why there would be two cables coming from the dish btw, unless the previous people had Sky multi room.

Get Sky+ ;)

That's why there would be two cables coming from the dish btw, unless the previous people had Sky multi room.

I am getting sky+. But can't be installed until the phone line is active, and the freeview is for the bedroom. They had sky HD apparently.

if i was you id turn it off every night but there again i turn everything off when not in use

Yeah, I do that normally, anything that doesn't need to keep time, I switch off completely. Saving the planet and all that. :D

Bumder With A Buffer
saving my electricity bill is my biggest concern as my direct debit is now £72 per month for dual fuel

Taking this off topic but my Gas/Electricity has gone up! b******s

Was 17.9p for lecy..now 25.15 :(

Was 4.352 fro gas.. now 6.219. Not huge on gas but electricity has shot up.

thats weird as its gas thats gone up between 20% and 30% and im sure electric was only 15% average

i managed to get the last of the cheap caps

Fiat Punto GT
I am getting sky+. But can't be installed until the phone line is active, and the freeview is for the bedroom. They had sky HD apparently.

Yep SkyHD has Sky+ built in, hence the two cables.

You could always get a remote eye for the bedroom once you have Sky+.

You don't need a phone line to get Sky. I had my Sky+ moved to my gf's house on Saturday, the chap didn't even plug it in or ask about it. Sky haven't even asked me for the number.

Yep SkyHD has Sky+ built in, hence the two cables.

You could always get a remote eye for the bedroom once you have Sky+.

You don't need a phone line to get Sky. I had my Sky+ moved to my gf's house on Saturday, the chap didn't even plug it in or ask about it. Sky haven't even asked me for the number.

I'm getting sky+ and broadband from them. And they said that they can't fulfil the order until the line is active.

We've got normal sky at the moment, as my g/f had multiroom at her parents, so we brought that box with us.