ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New HD TV Help :D

Monaco 172 2/468
Looks nice that mate, i've got to say, i'm not all that techy with TV's at the moment, could you tell me why it's better :) Apart from things like contrast

there have been alot of problems with the sharp sets mainly the bigger screens tho and as i said they are old now 6 months or so and thats a long time in todays tv world spec wise it also does 1080p from a pc thats a big plus imho as its the best way to connect a 360 up :)

Monaco 172 2/468
there have been alot of problems with the sharp sets mainly the bigger screens tho and as i said they are old now 6 months or so and thats a long time in todays tv world spec wise it also does 1080p from a pc thats a big plus imho as its the best way to connect a 360 up :)

The Tosh is actually £20 cheaper woo :)

Just feels like 800 quid is too cheap for a good 1080p set, or has stuff just come down alot in the last year

I thought the Sharp did 1080p via VGA too, my old 32" Aquos does, although it's not as good as component :dapprove:

Punto/Clio GTT
lcd's are fine, unless you go into minute details and are a serious geek, then you wont regret buying one, i havnt.

also plasmas burn alot more, so they suck ;)

The Tosh is actually £20 cheaper woo :)

Just feels like 800 quid is too cheap for a good 1080p set, or has stuff just come down alot in the last year

I thought the Sharp did 1080p via VGA too, my old 32" Aquos does, although it's not as good as component :dapprove:

your aquos will have never done 1080p letalone via vga !!

prices have come down alot in the last 6 months

Monaco 172 2/468

Yes, I worded it wrongly, when it's plugged in via vga, the option for 1080p is there, but obviously when I pick it it goes black. So I just set it to 720p

Therefore I would expect the new Sharp to display it fine via vga, as it's 1080p

Yes, I worded it wrongly, when it's plugged in via vga, the option for 1080p is there, but obviously when I pick it it goes black. So I just set it to 720p

Therefore I would expect the new Sharp to display it fine via vga, as it's 1080p

you would expect it but ya would be wrong

most tv's dont support it over vga due to licensing rights and stuff most only do like 1024x768

Monaco 172 2/468
Ah well thats a big thing then, so if i'd only get DVD's upscaled to 720p\1080i on the Sharp, and 1080p on the Tosh, well there's enough to make a decision there hehe :cool:

Any other suggestions mate or is the Tosh deffo the way forward.... only £780 woop

No problem with 1080p on a plasma, mine works fine!

What ever you go for make sure it can accept a 1080p signal at 24fps (as not all can) - you'll want this for Blu-ray / HD DVD playback.

dvd's upscaling depends on the player but most wont do 1080p as it requires too much power something the 360 and ps3 have in bucketfulls so they can do upscaling but they will be connected via hdmi for the ps3 and vga for the 360 so its only of major use if you have 360 as that only upscales to 1080p via vga not component

tbh best bet go to a shop and watch them both see what one you like most and buy that if you like it get it if you dont then get something else

Lee

BMW M2C
I've got a 42" Panasonic Plasma and a 26" Samsung LCD. The image on the Panasonic is much better than on the LCD.

As the Panasonis is new it does suffer a little from temporary burning, but it goes after a short while watching something else. I should really run it in on a lower setting to be honest.

PS3 and 360 both look amazing on it.

SD and HD TV look out of this world, far better than on the LCD. The biggest let down on an LCD is when watching SD TV.

What ever you go for make sure it can accept a 1080p signal at 24fps (as not all can) - you'll want this for Blu-ray / HD DVD playback.

yours will be down converting the signal unless your super rich ;)

couldnt agree with lee more sd looks much better on plasma than lcd most of thats down to the lower resolution of plasmas tho plasmas look fantastic on cartoons they look erm very cartoony

yours will be down converting the signal unless your super rich ;)

PDP-5000EX :rasp:

Even on a decent 1365 x 768 plasma screen the picture quality is going to be much nicer to view than on a full 1080p LCD.

Monaco 172 2/468
dvd's upscaling depends on the player but most wont do 1080p as it requires too much power something the 360 and ps3 have in bucketfulls so they can do upscaling but they will be connected via hdmi for the ps3 and vga for the 360 so its only of major use if you have 360 as that only upscales to 1080p via vga not component

tbh best bet go to a shop and watch them both see what one you like most and buy that if you like it get it if you dont then get something else

Aye mate, I meant upscaling from my 360 via vga. Looks great in 720p, so it'd be great if it went to 1080p too.

Just out of interest, how much worse is 360 gaming on plasma, compared to LCD. I do sit fairly close

if you sit close and you will need too to see any difference between 1080p and 720p then well you wont see much difference in quality really just in the way it renders colors as they have different color spectrums

Monaco 172 2/468
if you sit close and you will need too to see any difference between 1080p and 720p then well you wont see much difference in quality really just in the way it renders colors as they have different color spectrums

Still worth getting the 1080p set though I presume, I am a bit of a bugger for minute details :)

Just seems a waste when we get HD players that output in 1080p and i'd be having them in 720p hehe, I must have max res :cool:

i dont blame you hence i bout a 1080p set at xmas but tbh id be amazed if you could see the difference really unless you are stood about 2" from the screen lol especially on a 37" screen

its a bit different at 65" - 105" but at that size you are only beeing flash for the sake of it lol

Monaco 172 2/468
Hehe prepares for the 2 inch test :eek:

So is that it then, is that my new tv lol, nothing else really worth it, I can go up to £900-1000 at a push

Gotta admit it looks lovely

Monaco 172 2/468
Hehe don't worry mate i'll go check them out in store, I know what I like, I just needed a few tv models in mind before I went :)

Evo 6, E92 320d
make sure wen u get it out of the box u check v. carefully for any dead pixels, if its got 1 right in ur line of site were u always notice it send that sucker back. for the record does my 360 actually upscale std dvds over componant? its just sum sorces say it doesn't and sum say it does, personally i think the picture is a little richer but not to the same std as my upscaler.

Monaco 172 2/468
make sure wen u get it out of the box u check v. carefully for any dead pixels, if its got 1 right in ur line of site were u always notice it send that sucker back. for the record does my 360 actually upscale std dvds over componant? its just sum sorces say it doesn't and sum say it does, personally i think the picture is a little richer but not to the same std as my upscaler.

Aye mate, had a couple go on my psp, very annoying :dapprove: Current LCD is perfect though, 2 years old now

You need vga to use upscaling I believe :)