ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New gear box or rebuild ?

2003 clio 172
My gearbox isnt in it best state:( it grinds into second and forth and i can decide weather to get a new box or just get it rebuild what is the cost of each and what would be recommended ? cheers Dan

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Theres a bloke in tewkesbury who is s**t hot. Cheap too. Rebuilds them to spec.

pm 'Tony Hunter' or 'Burp'.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
About 4 hours labour I expect. Plus oil. I'd say about £200ish, just under.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I don't think so... I'll do a bit of searching burp and tony's thread. Hold on....

182cup & 172 racecar
Agency Transmissions
Unit 17k Shrub Hill
Worcester
WR4 9EL
tel: 01905 24896

The guy is very good,and no he is not putting up his prices.Not everybody is a rip off merchant you know.Anyway,he eats Clio boxes for breakfast and has all the bits on the shelf,he is also aware about the washer thingy that stops the driveshafts coming out.The time it will take you to go shopping and have a Poo and a cup of tea it will be ready.Don't forget to mention Burpspeed for a good price.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I got a refurbed gearbox from Renault and fitted to my 172 for less than £1k.

172 Race Car
I think our guy says,if he has to replace everything its about £400.

Lol at £350+vat=£600
Standard price is £275+vat for a full rebuild. Normally does them in a day unless he is really busy it can spill over to a second day. Done dozens ofmembers boxes now with perfect results.

gesus69 on here had to pay an extra £50 or £60 coz his main shaft was buggered.

When you ring up, ask for Martin and tell him Burpspeed sent you.

Standard price is £275+vat for a full rebuild. Normally does them in a day unless he is really busy it can spill over to a second day. Done dozens ofmembers boxes now with perfect results.

gesus69 on here had to pay an extra £50 or £60 coz his main shaft was buggered.

When you ring up, ask for Martin and tell him Burpspeed sent you.
May be a silly question but does he remove it and refit it too?

172 Race Car
Its worth a day trip to worcester with your mrs. Leave the box with him in the morning and pick it up all done later in the afternoon.

Aye, I'll need to be doing a bit of saving up first. Do you reckon if I got a garage near me to have a look, and if it does need repairing, get it sent off and he'd do it that way and send it back?

Are crunchy gears a definite sign there's something up with the box?

172 Race Car
Need to ask him but im sure it wouldnt be a problem. Crunchy gears is worn syncros, they are made of cheese