ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New font and rear discs + sport line springs on my ph2 172

Clio 172 2001
Hi guys,

I'm new to this but I want to upgrade my brake discs and suspension springs on my 51 plate 172. I want to put eibach sport line springs on all round and brembo hc discs all round, but I'd also like to replace the brake fluid at the same time.

Are there any other forum users that have tried this for the first time who can give me some pointers before I start? Anything they have learnt etc? I have watched some online vids on changing discs and springs but nothing specific to my car hence my questions.

i would really appreciate any comments or advice.

thanks for reading, Tarvitz

GSXR + KDX220
Its been covered before so try searching ;) but to make life easy,

Front brakes are easy:

Loosen wheel nuts
Jack up car and remove wheel
Undo 2 caliper bolts on the back of the hub and move to one side
Undo small screw/s on disc face
Remove disc

Reverse procedure to refit new ones

Rear springs are easy too ;)

Jack car up and support on axle stands at the sill jacking points
Undo BOTTOM shock bolt and remove (do one side at a time)
Push beam down and the spring should pretty much fall out
Refit new spring and do bolt back up (you may need a jack to help push it up enough to fit bolt)
Do the same on the other side :)

Front springs:
Undo the top mount bolt in the engine bay FIRST
Jack car up and remove wheel
Undo track rod ball joint and pop out
Undo the 2 large nuts half way up the strut and remove bolts, the top half of the strut should now pull out
(you can remove the ARB link on the wishbone to aid refitting as its easier to push the strut back into place and line holes up, but not essential)

Apparently you can remove and refit these springs without using compressors but Ive always used them personally ;)
Undo the top strut nut and release the tension slowly
Remove the top mount components making sure you know which order they came off in
Fit new spring making sure it locates in the tab on the spring seat and refit top mounts.

Refit the same way that it came off ;)
I think that covers it, dont think Ive forgotten anything.

Hope this helps

What colour 172 have you got? Im local to Norwich also so will keep an eye out ;)

Clio 172 2001
Thanks Adam, I really appreciate that.

Mines iceberg silver mate, around the east of norwich.

Are the rear discs any different?

thanks again

Its been covered before so try searching ;) but to make life easy,

Front brakes are easy:

Loosen wheel nuts
Jack up car and remove wheel
Undo 2 caliper bolts on the back of the hub and move to one side
Undo small screw/s on disc face
Remove disc

Reverse procedure to refit new ones

Rear springs are easy too ;)

Jack car up and support on axle stands at the sill jacking points
Undo BOTTOM shock bolt and remove (do one side at a time)
Push beam down and the spring should pretty much fall out
Refit new spring and do bolt back up (you may need a jack to help push it up enough to fit bolt)
Do the same on the other side :)

Front springs:
Undo the top mount bolt in the engine bay FIRST
Jack car up and remove wheel
Undo track rod ball joint and pop out
Undo the 2 large nuts half way up the strut and remove bolts, the top half of the strut should now pull out
(you can remove the ARB link on the wishbone to aid refitting as its easier to push the strut back into place and line holes up, but not essential)

Apparently you can remove and refit these springs without using compressors but Ive always used them personally ;)
Undo the top strut nut and release the tension slowly
Remove the top mount components making sure you know which order they came off in
Fit new spring making sure it locates in the tab on the spring seat and refit top mounts.

Refit the same way that it came off ;)
I think that covers it, dont think Ive forgotten anything.

Hope this helps

What colour 172 have you got? Im local to Norwich also so will keep an eye out ;)