ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new engine (plus car build thread)

Charged Superleggera
coming together nicely now malice ,ate. Take it your getting it mapped on the apexi ecu? or are you going to be running a ddifferent ecu with the new set up?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
white dash is going, i have another dash set that i started to skin in carbon but im not too happy with it so ripped it off... temped to get some of that sticky carbon cloth... but unsure... might go a completely different random colour like black with pink glitter laquer on it :D

mapping wise, i have a new map on the ecu at the moment, but its just a basic single turbo map but it ran a car at 430bhp on it lol, but once its ran in im gonna go to re:works and get them to map it as they are one of the few places that do an ignition map and fuel map, most uk tuners just do a fuel map then stick a generic ignition map on... for now the apexi power fc will do all i want firas, in the future i might look at possibly switching to aem but the ecu settup i would want from them would be about 2k with all the extras i would want... however the ecu is mental on what it can do, can map fuel and ignition but also have 3 or 4 maps on there allowing me to switch to a cruise map for on the motorway and with fueling cut right back i would be hitting 30mpg in it! can have it set to some variables to that if i exceed them like i was to boot it, it will switch to the fast map :)

for what it is the power fc is very good, wish it had a few extra bits which it doesnt, the stock ecu has det protection, which the power fc doesnt, i mean if you get det the power fc will flash a light on the dash... but by then its usually too late lol! the comander tends to look a bit retro now but its really useful telling you injector duty etc and things like inlet temp, water temp, blablabla also its useful come mot i just go in to a menu and reduce all the fuel timing by 50% and it sails through emissions lol! then stick them back to 100% and leave a nice fat smoke trail behind me :D

the few times i have started it, the smell of the 2 stroke oil coming out the exhaust :D HNMMMMM!

the smoke in the exhaust has pretty much cleared up now too, set the rev limiter to 3k! its gonna be a hard 500 miles lol!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
oil drain is done :)

its fitted and sits perfect :) car is very nearly done! need the battery box made and to fit that with the cable etc, then its just bleed the brakes and clutch fill with coolant and its done :)

4b29e555.jpg

just in the process of fitting the boost controller :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
im hoping around 450bhp at the wheels, guy in america running the same settup and at 1.2bar was hitting 540ish bhp... and doing mid 10 second 1/4's

im based down south mate well... south west, near cheltenham.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
battery box is made :) just gotta mount it and put top plate on, then thats done :)

c9c14eee.jpg

its welded but you cant see the welds they are that good!!! i was actually confused how it had been done!
9af1f80f.jpg

anyway, just drove it up the road and around the block... first time i have driven it in about 5 months i think!!! will get a vid of it tomorrow :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
rob i shall be doing a tunnel run soon ;) tomorrow i will get the front end back on it as tonight i drove it with no bumper, no lights, and wipers stuck in the middle of the screen lol! soon as i have sorted the front end on and got it running spot on i will do 1k miles pretty quick and get it mapped... its such a shock to be driving it again, feels really strange :) its suprising how strange it feels!! oh you will all be pleased to know, wheels will be coming off this week to strip them down and refurb!

gotta decide on centre colour though!!! so any ideas?? i was thinking yellow or deep purple... rims will be polished.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Midnight purple, gentlemen's choice! Massively glad they're getting a refurb, the car will look so much better.

Tunnel run you say? I'm either riding beside (i.e falling behind in the clio) or beside (i.e in the passenger seat) ;)

Malice, where abouts you from?
Pulled up next to a RX-7 you may know of in Bristol tonight. Got out the car and it sounded awesome, barking away on the forecourt. It was black, standard wheels - spoiler looked different (larger) and it had a different front bumper on it. We were in a S14a which is quick, but when this Rex pulled away the sound it made was unreal. Decided not to give it a go.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
there are a few around bristol mate, i live near cheltenham... progress has been slow im waiting on some money so i can buy some rubber and strip the wheels... i shall be taking the wheels down on monday to get the old rubber off, then strip the wheels and start refurbing then rebuild and new rubber on and i will run it in...

with the rad etc in the new location its a complete b*****d to bleed the coolant, driven it a few times but literally took 3 days to bleed it! had to keep topping it up and checking it scared the crap out of me i thought i had done the water seals! just driving it the few times i have with the limiter set to 3k the turbo spools and lets off an amazing noise lol!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Ace!

Midnight Purple for the centres, definitely. Then polished lips.

It's a bit different now to how I last saw it!!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
went to the powder coaters today :D centres are being dropped off on monday to have a quick blast then coated... the coating is a one off coating they had and never used, they only have enough to do my 4 centres and no more will be made :D imagine midnight purple, with a hint of glitter, a dash of candy and a slight pearl to it :D oh yeh and its £900 a box!!! luckily they are doing me a massive deal in return for some photos so soon as they are coated i will maybe post a sneak peak lol!

anyway! split the rims, undoing all those bolts is a pain in the ASS! there is like 35 nuts and bolts per rim and they are just gay lol! tomorrow i will clean up the barrels and start on the polishing, well squaring off the edges from the curbing they do have, wont be able to make it perfect but i can always look at getting new barrels at some point in the future :)

1835bb27.jpg

83d29c77.jpg

nuts and bolts in vinegar to soften up the corrosion :) stinks though :(
6f443e48.jpg

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
did the first one and got massively worried... undid all the bolts and the centre didnt just "drop" out... banged it with my hand... still nothing.... stamped on it... nothing.... checked the back to see if they were welded in... couldnt see any weld... but couldnt see a gap between the centre and the rim.... started to think i had 1 piece wheels, but enkei dont make 1 pieces in this style... spoke to a friend and he assured me a "hammer" was needed... so carefully BANG BANG BANG all the way round the edge and eventually POP! it came out... not something i wanna do again lol! im dreading putting them back together :(

Qashcow
when i had my Rays done, a few months after i was washing the wheels and found some of the bolts loose, how f**king scary is that! ive always been worried about split rim since lol. not that im putting you off or nout, do they recommend threadlock when being rebuilt?

Least you'd look cool till that point.

Loving this mad. Sweet fc. Wheels will make a big difference to the overall look tbh. Purple ftw.

172, Tiguan
Splitting 'splits' is a realy PITA and takes ages. When I did my BBS's, I had to heat the outer rim up with a heatgun gently then beat the crap out of the centres with a rubber mallet! Got there eventually though.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Bomber yeh threadlock is needed!!!! It had blue threadlock on before so will use that again!

Barrels are going to be straightened on the edge with a file from the curbing, then polished.... I have my own bench polisher with compound cutting wheels but most of them are in good condition and don't need cutting back just need the polishing done.... Should have atleast one done by tonight will update then

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
to be honest mate, you can buy your own settup stupidly cheap... the reason polishing costs sooooo much is the fact that it takes so much time to do it....

need a bench grinder and a polishing set...
cutting stage has 3 wheels each one you put a different compound on 80, 120 and 300 grit, you spin the wheel and apply the grit stuff then turn off and let the wheels dry... that will take all the roughness out of a piece of metal...

then you have 3 polishing stages, which you apply 3 compounds too, first stage takes most of the cutting marks or scratches out, then next stage takes the first stage down to a dull shine, then the final stage makes a mirror shine... you can then go over and over it again over the 3 polishing stages... to make it even better and you can go over with autosol etc if you feel the need, will take some pics as i do it to show you the stages....

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
ok thought i would document the wheel process...

most of you have seen the wheels, what they looked like, well im attacking the front barrels first as they will take the longest, just because of the shape.

the rears i will just use my bench polisher fully on but the fronts have to be bench polisher and hand polished because of the stupid shape of the front dish's i cant get the mop in the dip in the dish...

anyway here is a closeup pic (all pics on iphone so excuse the quality...) of the corrosion...
93075d61.jpg

here is a shot after i had used a 120 grit wheel on it...
cc6ff6f1.jpg

this is after a rough hand polish with 400grit wet and dry and going over with a sissle mop and grey polish (first step in polishing, not cutting)
97997424.jpg

here is an overall shot
49c9ba15.jpg

i will go over the small dip with 800 and 1200 grit then i will go to the sewn cotton mop and green polish, then on to the loose cotton mope and rose polish and it will be like a mirror.... then just 3 more to do lol....

just realised the last pic is pointless as the iphone flash killed it... will go take another...

Qashcow
i got the polishing crap for like £20 then just smacked it into a mains drill, meant i could do them on the car more regularly too

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
if its road legal by then yeh lol... need to get the wheels done and back on... wanna go trax too....

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Awesome work on the wheel polishing, sounds easy if you know what you're doing ;)

I'll watch some YT video's or something, and I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.