ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Desktop!

Hi all,

Well I thought it was time to go for a desktop. After owning my Sony VAIO laptop with Intel duo I thought I might aswel go for a quad core processor on my first ever desktop, and all as I can say is it's fast!!!

Main highlights of spec:
Quad core (2.33 Ghz)
3GB RAM
320GB HDD
Bluray

It's a Packard Bell imax 3516, For the price of £369 I got the tower, and Packard Bell wireless keyboard and mouse. Also went for a hp 19" monitor with inbuilt speakers for £119.99

Here's some pics of the full kit:

22022009035.gif

22022009036.gif

22022009037.gif

22022009038.gif

22022009039.gif

22022009040.gif

As you can imagine I'm over the moon and stuck in my bedroom transferring over all my software from the laptop.

Mark

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
looks good. only one problem. you got some filthy motor on your screen! ;)

BMW E46 330i Touring
Looks nice mate, I've got all the components for my new system turning up tomorrow... my first build and I'm starting to wish I'd paid a little extra to by it already made!

Looks nice mate, I've got all the components for my new system turning up tomorrow... my first build and I'm starting to wish I'd paid a little extra to by it already made!
Yeah I was in 2 minds to go that route, but I decided against it in the end!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I can't wait to get a new PC, had this one since 2005. I'm waitin for Windows 7 RTM though personally :cool:

Looks good though man, good price!

Cupra
Nothing nice than a new PC! That looks nice, enjoy it.

I was also looking at upgrading recently but after pricing every thing up for an i7 setup, I backed away from the order button and just treated myself to a nice new graphics card instead.

Nothing nice than a new PC! That looks nice, enjoy it.

I was also looking at upgrading recently but after pricing every thing up for an i7 setup, I backed away from the order button and just treated myself to a nice new graphics card instead.

i think dell do the cheapest route into i7 ownership still

Cupra
i think dell do the cheapest route into i7 ownership still

Only problem is that i want to keep my case (same as your IIRC) and now graphics card as well as to be able to over clock. Dell just doesn't fit the bill. My current pc still plays all games on nearly the highest settings and does everything i want so i can't justify the cost ATM. Wifey would cut my balls off too.
[/highjack]

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Hi all,

Well I thought it was time to go for a desktop. After owning my Sony VAIO laptop with Intel duo I thought I might aswel go for a quad core processor on my first ever desktop, and all as I can say is it's fast!!!

Main highlights of spec:
Quad core (2.33 Ghz)
3GB RAM
320GB HDD
Bluray

It's a Packard Bell imax 3516, For the price of £369 I got the tower, and Packard Bell wireless keyboard and mouse. Also went for a hp 19" monitor with inbuilt speakers for £119.99

Here's some pics of the full kit:

22022009035.gif

22022009036.gif

22022009037.gif

22022009038.gif

22022009039.gif

22022009040.gif

As you can imagine I'm over the moon and stuck in my bedroom transferring over all my software from the laptop.

Mark

Looks good Mark . nice price as well :) . I can even stomach the photo you have as your wallpaper ;) , but your desks far too tidy , your too fcukin organised lol .

Looks good Mark . nice price as well :) . I can even stomach the photo you have as your wallpaper ;) , but your desks far too tidy , your too fcukin organised lol .
Andy that's not tidy, infact that's in the middle of sorting some paperwork out too!!! Thanks anyway!

BMW E46 330i Touring
Got my system all set up and running nicely today :)

Now to delve into the world of overclocking...

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Andy that's not tidy, infact that's in the middle of sorting some paperwork out too!!! Thanks anyway!

Trust me Mark , thats tidy . If you saw mine you'd die . There's stuff on my desk i haven't seen for years lmfao .

BMW E46 330i Touring
What did you get?

Built my own for the first time:

Intel C2D E8400 3.0GHz CPU
Asus HD4850 512MB GPU
Asus P5QL Pro Mothboard
4GB Corsair 800MHz memory
640GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 HDD
20" widescreen Samsung monitor

Uh, and other stuff I can't remember!

BMW E46 330i Touring
I was torn between the Q6600 and the E8400 and decided that the Dual Core was better suited for what I need - plus it seems to be a fantastic overclocker, whereas the Q6600 seems to be a bit hit and miss.

It cost a little bit, but won't need changing for a few years now and any future upgrades will be minimal compared to the original outlay... I hope!

Cupra
^^ You keep telling yourself that. With a self build, it is always too easy to add bits and bobs here and there. I have bought another three hard disks, more RAM, a new GFX card and other odds and ends in the 2 years I have had mine.

Did you buy a different cooler or are you using the Intel one? If you are going to look into overclocking, it is worth having the extra cooling of an Arctic 7 or the like.

Shed.
Sounds nice. You weren't tempted to go quad core?

Actually after getting the Q6600 im regretting not buying a C2D, but of a better spec. Mines running 3.2GHz and it wont go any further without shafting the Ram speeds up. Mind you, why id need more than 3.2 i do not know, and 4 cores is often a big help.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I also bought the Akasa 965 cooler - christ that needed some force to get all 4 pins locked in! I've had a little play with the FSB and pushed it up for 400MHz, but I'm not sure how I can now see what the CPU is running at...

BMW E46 330i Touring
Cheers mate, had a little play last night and got up to 3.6GHz (I think) but altering the FSB and increasing the CPU voltage slightly.

Although, with CPUZ, am I right in that it only shows what the processor is currently running at, not it's maximum? How can I fully load the processor to get a true speed? It was hovering around the 2.4-2.8GHz most of the time.

Current daily use PC - P2 300, 256MB RAM, 6GB hard disk. 7 Years old. Made of pure win IMHO ;-)

Really must get around to buying a new one soon!

Cheers
M

Cupra
^^ Amazing that the thing still runs!

Cheers mate, had a little play last night and got up to 3.6GHz (I think) but altering the FSB and increasing the CPU voltage slightly.

Although, with CPUZ, am I right in that it only shows what the processor is currently running at, not it's maximum? How can I fully load the processor to get a true speed? It was hovering around the 2.4-2.8GHz most of the time.

That is from a setting in the Bios I think which only speeds up the processor when it is under load. I think it may be the intel speedstep tech which does it, you will have to disable that then the processor will run at full steam.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Current daily use PC - P2 300, 256MB RAM, 6GB hard disk. 7 Years old. Made of pure win IMHO ;-)

Really must get around to buying a new one soon!

Cheers
M

My second ever PC!

If you can get vista running on that I'll give £50 marks and spencer vouchers!