ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New clutch wont disengage

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Hi Guys,

Ive just fitted a new helix paddle clutch kit to my 172 and ive just gone to drive the car and the clutch will not disengage so i cannot get it into gear. Ive removed the clutch fork boot and i can see the release bearing is pushing the clutch fingers fine.

Any ideas?

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Clutch pedal feels fine, if you shine a torch into the bell housing you can see the release bearing pushing the pressure plate back and forth. gear linkage isnt a problem as its sequential.

And yep its in the right way round Fred, It was a bit of a b*****d to get the first motion shaft to go into the drive plate though. If this was tight would it cause the clutch to bind?

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Bugger, that will be the 3rd time in a month the motor has been in and out. Someone shoot me now lol.

Gonna take it for a dirve tomorrow to see if i can get it to free off with some brutality. Must be something wrong with the drive plate as the pressure plate looks to be moving fine.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Ive taken the car out today and the clutch works fine if you only push the pedal half way down. If you push it fully down you can hear what seems to be the presure plate fingers touching the drive plate hub which is obviously not good.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I could just fit a bigger clutch stop so it doesnt go fully fown but the biting point is really high which feels a bit crappy, so would rather sort it out.

Tuscani GTR
I have the same problem where the clutch wont disengage the clutch is fitted properly and the release bearing also seems to work the clutch correctly with no noises like its putting the pressure plate fingers over centre. the gear linkage is setup correctly too.

but the difference in mine is it doesnt seem to be working at any position on the clutch pedal! It always wants to drive???

Also how can you reset the ratchet in the pedal box, do you need to remove it and take it apart to release the plastic ratchet?