ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio Trophy

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
WP_20160306_11_37_46_Pro_zps8j3wcfij.jpg

:)

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
great video here, track battle between pug 208 gti and clio trophy,almost identical times.

2 great well sorted cars, interesting comments at 4 mins 40, saying the trophy lays its power out of corners maybe a smidgen better, despite the pug having a pukka lsd and the trophy having an electrical system, I wouldn't have expected that.
David

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
mmmm seems like the 208 gti is tuned /geared to make good 0-62, just found this online test, despite the mountune fiesta being 4 tenths slower to 62 mph, it was actually marginally faster than the 208 gti from 60 to 100 mph, and the clio trophy was a full second faster from 60 mph to 100 mph than the mountune fiesta...........wow!.

PEUGEOT 208 GTi by Peugeot Sport

It might be the hottest Pug hatch ever, but the 208 GTi wasn’t a natural drag queen. It’s powerful, sure, and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres are wider and stickier than the other little ’uns’ boots, even the Mini JCW’s. However, we need to talk about The Gearbox. Besides the obtusely XXL knob itself, the vague, long-shift action limited the 208’s pace badly, and wouldn’t allow flat shifts. From 60–100mph, the Fiesta ST actually clawed a tenth back, but the Pug still managed an impressive 21.1secs 0–100–0 time. With a sweeter ’box, it could do better…
FORD FIESTA ST

The yellow rectangle denotes a Mountune induction kit: +33bhp, +22lb ft, +£599, and supposedly -0.5sec on your 0–60mph. The Fiesta was fairly easy to launch – its relative lack of power meant traction wasn’t the issue it was in the bigger Focus, but the recalcitrant clutch didn’t bounce back up after a quick change. Weird. It arrived at 60mph 0.2sec slower than claimed but was a remarkably composed little tyke under brakes.

CLIO RENAULTSPORT TROPHY

Incremental power gains of 20bhp and 28lb ft only unlock, says Renault, a 0.1sec advantage over the regular Clio RS, but this was a seriously muscular little car. It romped from 60mph to 100mph a whole second faster than the tuned Fiesta, its unlovable dual-clutch ’box finally paying dividends.

Accessing max attack mode was a pain, though: gearbox lever into Manual, press Sport, then press and hold again for Race. No such complication with the brakes, which, like the Megane’s, were progressive and powerful. None of the superminis stopped faster. Nor many of the bigguns.

you can read the full test here.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot...ut-cutting-20-contenders-down-10-drag-strip#1

so the trophy was a full second quicker from 60-100 mph than the mountune fiesta, thats quite something when you consider what the mountune fiesta does to the clio 200 edc in this video drag race...starts at 1 min 30 ish.

this means the 20 bhp boost and the faster gear changes in the trophy clio, has really made a very good gain in straight line performance. From this video the clio 200 edc pulls 100 mph in 16.8 seconds and the fiesta st mountune in 15.4 seconds.
The clio trophy must therefore be capable of doing 0 - 100 mph in the mid 14 second range. !
David

Last edited:
Cheers for the pics guys they look stunning fair play ..!

Is the liquid yellow more money then the white then?? I wanted this in my 200 but opted for glacier white so didn't want white again really.

A friend said about the ST but I feel they are to popular and lots of them around.

Been quoted around £300 p/m by Renault but obvz depends how much deposit I'm willing to put down.

Also what's the crack with the race button or whatever it's called can it be left in that mode or does it have to engage in to normal mode again ?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I think it automatically engages when you're passed on a dual carriageway or sat at traffic lights.

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
Also what's the crack with the race button or whatever it's called can it be left in that mode or does it have to engage in to normal mode again ?
to engage sport mode you simply press the silver button between the 2 front seats once, and same to turn it off. To engage race mode you push the gear selector left whilst in "D" obviously, then hold the same silver button down for about 3 seconds, it tells you on the dashboard what mode your in. Every time you turn the car off it goes back into full auto mode, sport mode gives quicker throttle response and stretches the gears further up the rev range before changing up, race mode will give you an extra 300 revs in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears letting you reach 6800 rpm's, it also gives you the fastest gear shifts and lets you take full manual control of the gearbox, it won't change up unless you do it, but it will change down just to safe guard against labouring the engine at unsuitable rpm's in the wrong gear.
Hth
David

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Been quoted around £300 p/m by Renault but obvz depends how much deposit I'm willing to put down.

Joking, someone posted an RS 275 deal less than you have been quoted.
My PS is costing £133 :wink:

Ps ? Peugeot sport ??

I can't see any deals on megane's so I wouldn't know

The £300 I said is actually flexible depending on what deposit to put down

On the site it's fixed as £319!depo and £319 per month for four years but I'd rather put more money down to bring payments down.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
A friend said about the ST but I feel they are to popular and lots of them around.

I've never really understood why this would put someone off buying a car.

They're popular because they're the best car in their class, surely that's a great reason to buy one, not to avoid one?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea but people like to feel 'unique' and 'special' when they're buying and using their mass-produced goods.

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
I've never really understood why this would put someone off buying a car.

They're popular because they're the best car in their class, surely that's a great reason to buy one, not to avoid one?

I don't agree, they aren't the best car in the class, they are the best bang per buck, but not the best full stop.
I see your reasoning, if something is great why would that you put you off buying one. For me it wouldn't put me off, i almost signed on the dotted line for one.
What put me off, was the fact the clio was simply more capable, i do quite like the fact ive never ever seen another 220 Trophy on the road, but that wasn't a factor in my decision.
Ok it costs more for that performance and rarity but its a price some are willing to pay.
David

Well three lads at my work have one already and that's enough for me haha.
One said today its "ok" but takes a while to get speed up and as above I've never seen a trophy around north wales yet and I've had my Clio four years and been happy so I'd be happy for a Clio. Prob be a long wait time from what I'm reading elsewhere .

Since this thread i've taken more of an interest in these Trophy's, its pretty much the car it should have been since day it was released. Watching the various YouTube video's it does seen very capable on Track, what Renaultsport is about, theres so much grip and thats without a proper Mechanical LSD, the 'box seems to work, the changes look instant, quite impressed tbh.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Well three lads at my work have one already and that's enough for me haha.
One said today its "ok" but takes a while to get speed up and as above I've never seen a trophy around north wales yet and I've had my Clio four years and been happy so I'd be happy for a Clio. Prob be a long wait time from what I'm reading elsewhere .

Drive both. And drive the 208 for that matter.

Better to make an informed opinion by testing everything rather than ruling a car out because people you know have one. Fiesta is widely regarded as the best B-segment hot hatch of its generation, so worth looking at surely?

Why what's so good about them on your opinion over the Clio?? And to be honest mate I can't say much about the 208 as I've not looked at videos and review but I have with the Clio and like the look of the clios on YouTube

The 208 looks to much of w daily runner to me

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Not driven the Fez ST. Really should. Drove a 200T and found it very disappointing. Gearbox was terrible compared to the DSG in my Golf.

Just saying that surely it's worth test driving the options first? You can only learn so much from a review. Before I got my Golf I watched loads of videos online, but I only used them as a guide. Before I got it I test drove one, along with a Focus ST, Megane RS, Astra VXR, Civic Type-R etc etc. Wouldn't ever buy a car solely based on the reviews. There are some fantastic cars out there, especially in that class, just think you'd be mad not to try them out before splashing a load of cash on one.

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
good advice to to test drive different cars, i test drove fiesta st twice , the 2nd time particularly, i really explored what it could do and pushed it quite hard, was very good to be fair, and had i trusted in other peoples reviews and opinions i would have never even test drove a clio trophy, i would have just brought the st....so yes make your own mind up is good advice, i nearly made the mistake of listening to everyone else instead of trying for myself.
David

Yeh that is very good advice lads thanks .

Pardon me for sounding stupid it's just all new to me I've never had a new car and never test driven a car from a garage don't even know how it all works I've seen on Renault page saying book a test.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
For most of the ones I did I just walked in and spoke to someone. For the Golf I had to book one as they had to make sure the car was available (it was being used by a manager and he wasn't always there).

Renault were pricks I must say, so I ended up trying one I found at a Fiat dealer. I turned up at Renault, they had one sitting there, but told me I had to book, so I left.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea if you want to drive something specific it's best to book, but only to make sure the car is available for you.

Clio 220, Caterham 7
Thought I'd add my thoughts to this thread.
I ordered a 220 Trophy (with Trophy seats) between Christmas and new year and it arrived in April. I bought it to replace my Megane 250 Cup which I've had from new for nearly 6 years.

I considered loads of other cars (Leon Cupra, Focus RS, Mustang V8, Lotus Elise), but eventually decided that I didn't want to spent Leon/Focus money on the car and that given the narrow lanes where I live, I'd be better off with something smaller than the Mustang and more usable everyday than the Elise. I've got a Caterham too which gets weekend and trackday use so the new car was intended mostly as a road car.

I test drove the 220 before buying and thought it felt very much like a smaller Megane (good thing!). I left the gearbox in auto and was genuinely impressed with it and ordered the car that day.

Fast forward to now, I've just come back from Le Mans in it and I've got just over 2000 miles on the clock. The gearbox takes a bit of getting used to, just because I've never driven an auto before and you need to learn how to make the most of it. I tend to leave it in normal/auto most of the time on dual carriageways and in traffic - occasionally switching into sport on roundabouts if I need to get out into a space (and don't want stop-start to cut in!). Originally I hardly used the paddles to change gear at all, but I'm finding I use them quite a bit when it comes to overtaking now - and then leaving the car to switch back to auto on it's own once the overtake is done.

On a good road I'll tend to stick it in sport/manual or race. It covers ground very quickly and apart form the smoother mid-range I haven't noticed it any slower than the Megane - the numbers on the dash stack up pretty quickly! Ride wise, it's firmer than the Megane at low speeds, but seems to smooth out bumps better at high speeds. It also feels more grippy in corners thanks to the PSS tyres. Worth noting too that I'm enjoying not having an LSD in it. I've had no issues with the inner wheel spinning up and it just feels more "real" when you're really throwing it through a corner whereas in the Megane you could feel the LSD working (which is nice, but it does corrupt the steering feel - I'd still always spec and LSD on a RWD car though).

I see Renault now have the Ph2 MK4 on the horizon and given they've now added a manual to the GT they might well offer it on the Clio too. Would I tick the manual box if ordering a new car? I'm not sure! The EDC is brilliant in the 220 and for a daily driver the auto is very useful when stuck in traffic on the M4. The shifts are instant in sport/race too, it's clearly faster than I could shift in a manual and does give that race car feel when you're flicking through the gears. I'm not convinced it does take away from the experience.

Interior wise I was impressed by the car. The plastics are far nicer than in the MK3 Megane and the seats are just as supportive as my old Recaros. RLink is pretty good too but the speakers are just as useless as the Megane and seem to lack the midrange needed to really hear the music.

I'm really happy with the car though and haven't missed the Megane one bit.

Anyway, quick pic of the car parked up on the Mulsanne straight at Le Mans:
https://goo.gl/photos/MSYVDacX5BjbGd5x9

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
i agree, i think the gear box, flappy paddles in race mode actually adds to the experience, feels like a race car instead of the usual manual shift.
I assume you know you can turn stop/ start off down by the steering wheel, its the first thing i do usually.
It does build speed quickly, i was surprised by how short the gears were though tbh, limiter in 3rd is just 74 mph, there are not many hot hatches where you need 2 gear changes to hit 60 mph, thing is though it doesn't matter because upshifts are micro seconds, and they just sound so good!
The exhaust sound was criticised on the 200 edc, i think the newly designed exhaust sounds really nice on the trophy, pops and bangs etc, the throttle blips to match revs on downshifts is a nice touch, i don't know really how to describe the sound of a full throttle upshift but its addictive, i suppose maybe itcould use a tad more exhaust sound in normal driving but that might make it intrusive.
David

Clio 220, Caterham 7
I assume you know you can turn stop/ start off down by the steering wheel, its the first thing i do usually.
Yeah, but I tend to find the RS button is a bit nearer to me so I usually hit that instead. It's also got the bonus of having a sharper throttle response than standard too which makes getting out into a gap easier :)

I really like the exhaust note, sounds good on throttle and I love the burbles on gearchanges.

2016 Clio RS Trophy
Just picked up a Glacier White Trophy 220 for the wife. 700km down and I absolutely love the thing. I have a 400hp MK2 Focus RS and new Astra VXR as a daily but the Clio really does impress me. Easy to drive, hangs on well, good tech and EDC in manual race mode. Very well rounded car.