ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New car paint, self healing?? (Gally!)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
At work we're having a nightmare with new cars. The paint is ridiculously soft and we're scratching them when cleaning them, tree sap is etching into the paint along with bird s**t.
Up until now me and another guy have been sorting the worst ones by machine polishing them. But with 40+ sold cars a day to clean (not to mention the 120+ service washes and the retail stock!) we can't get to them all.

The body shop manager called me in this morning and told me to put a particularly bad black 3 series in the paint booth, on full heat, for an hour. It was covered in sap burns and scratches where the previous owner had scrubbed with his sponge when he washed it.

Sure enough, after an hour in the oven, the thing came out like brand new. Never ever seen anything like it!!

Anyone heard of this??

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Baking it might have softened the paint up again so it forms an even surface then hardened again?

Unless someone sneaked in and polished it

Phase 1 172, boxster
If we paint a car that has water drops all over and is sheeted over and then bake it with the sheet still over with the water underneath it can cause marks to form in the laquer. One way to fix it is then to apply heat to the marks with a heat gun and they will disappear before your eyes. That's the only thing that I have experienced that sounds like what you are describing.