ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New car or 210 HP Cup

What you guys rekon buy a Leon cupra R 225 (plus chipped/exhaust) and get into more debt (nearly paid off Cup) or spend 2-3 k and get the Cup to about 200-210 hp - 170 lb ft (GDi) Rekon it would cost me about 5 k to change to a Cupra R plus 1500 to tune it.. or about 3 k to get Cup to 210 hp (bear in mind with only 181 hp it does 14.1@98 mph!)

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..keep the cup m8, you will appreciate the extra cash in ur pocket. when you get the work done it will be like having a new car anyway eh, mine should be ready soon so cant comment yet but others on here have taken that route eg Oldman and rmcardal and are very pleased with the results. :cool:

If youre just looking for more performance, but not a bigger and better built car (ie less rattles and better put together car) then keep the Cup and take it to GDI. I wanted more performance and more luxury plus the better build quality, so i went for the Cupra R and Remap. Didnt go for the exhaust as its now got around 260-270bhp, dont really need any more, and its so quiet on the Motorway.

It sounds to me Neil as if you want to restore your lust for your Cup - to get back that excitement and anticipation you used to get every time before taking it for a drive.

My honest advice would be to swap cars with your mum for a week (or anyone with a different car) and see how you felt then!

Speaking as someone who has owned a cars that had been breathed on, Id avoid spending £3k on an NA engine unless youre really committed to keeping it for ages and can get the full value out of it. The tuning to my old 16V made a very peaky engine even more so. £20 bought me a copied chip and must have given me 20-30bhp more on the Fiat Coupe 20VT Ive just sold! But neither was significantly quicker or better to dirve than standard. The cheap tuning is no reason for buying a Leon Cupra in itself mind, because in order to get a car you can apply "cheap mods" to, youll need to spend loads more than your Cup is worth!

Stick with the Cup. Dont mod it unless its absolutely what you must do. Id get myself out on some fantastic B-roads to remind me why I bought the car if I were you - much cheaper than anything else!

Clio 200 Cup

Neil, didnt you have a LCR before? Or at least have access to drive one? Anyway, I reckon if you want something a bit more refined with great looks and awesome in gear acceleration, get a lcr and remap it. But if you still want to go out for B road thrashes and have a much more exciting engine you can rev the tits off, stick with the cup. I love the lcr, i just wish it was a bit less "soft" out of the box.

Oh, btw, if you decide to go for an lcr........sell me your cup!!

Neil, without a doubt mate get the LCR.

Okay the cup will be like sh*t off a shovel at 210bhp but it loses out on luxuries/looks and top end 100+ stuff. The brembos/18 alloys/climate/safety and tunability of the engine would win it for me. It is a bit bulky but you could save at least 50kg on that by removing the seats and spare 18 alloy for 1/4 mile runs.

Also like the LCR a 210bhp cup may not be quicker until after 60 due to traction. Youll know what your traction is like at the minute, hows it going to be when tuned? It wont neccessarly give you a much better 1/4 time.

Im keeping mine for at least the next 2 1/2 years and really am enjoying it. Im waiting on my exhaust too, just need some extra cash.

I reckon with a stripped out tuned LCR and some nice racing slicks youll be tearing that 1/4 mile track up.

A trip to jabba will be some way for you to travel, will you go revo?

If cashflow is a bit of a problem, get a 03 210 LCR a couple of £k cheaper than the 225. Apart from a steering wheel and a red badge, theres no difference as far as i know. And both tune to the same levels with the 210 actually having a stronger engine.

Clio 200 Cup

And the 225 has L E O N spaced out along the centre of the boot instead of the left hand side (sorry, im a keano!). Mitchy, what kind of power delivery does your jabba map give? Ive heard its meant to be a lot more progressive than revo which sends you all the power in a big lump lower down the rev range? Just asking as I really cannot decide between a jabbad ibiza cupra or a 172 cup :confused:

Quote: Originally posted by stevoversteer on 06 February 2005

And the 225 has L E O N spaced out along the centre of the boot instead of the left hand side (sorry, im a keano!). Mitchy, what kind of power delivery does your jabba map give? Ive heard its meant to be a lot more progressive than revo which sends you all the power in a big lump lower down the rev range? Just asking as I really cannot decide between a jabbad ibiza cupra or a 172 cup :confused:
You cant be that keen mate;) 210s are exactly the same. The only difference is the 210 has a black cupra badge and the 225 has a red cupra badge in the bottom right corner. Both will eventually fade and turn into a silver badge:eek:

As to the remap, im pleased i chose jabba over revo. As far as i know the revo map tails off about 5750 rpm and the tail off is noticable. I change just before 6500 and there certainly does not feel as if theres a tail off. It seems smooth all the way to the line. I got 272bhp and 290lbft torque with 240 @ wheels which seems to be higer than what standard revo maps achieve. Im just on about remaps as with no other mods. Theres a guy running 295 with 265 @ wheels with a full exhaust system + Jabba remap. I just need to save up for the exhaust system.

Im sure Jabba and Revo are as good as each other, but i opted jabba as i liked the time and care element spent on my car.

* Jabba offers an individual map for your car. Revo offer a 1 off generic LCR remap.

*Jabba has an onboard adjustable boost controller which can be changed on the move. Revo have a plug in dongle that can only be adjusted when car is off.

* Jabba take 3 1/2 hrs fine tuning the car on the rollers. Revo take 20 mins to upload the map and no rolling road facilities.

*Jabba is slightly cheaper than revo, but only has 1 dealership in the UK. Revo are UK wide and can be booked within a week. Jabba has a 2 month waiting list.

*Revo did suffer with a 140mph brick wall problem, jabba will pull all the way off the 160 clock. However a new code did sort this revo problem.

Fred thats funny, because they go round bedford autodrome in pretty much the same time as a 182 cup.

Oh and they go round top gears test track quicker than the 182 and the same as a CTR.

Have you driven 1 freddie boy, because the proofs there to back me up that your talking out of your hoop;)

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Keep the cup mate... i was thinking the same thing but then realised its not worth it

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Mitchy on 06 February 2005

Fred thats funny, because they go round bedford autodrome in pretty much the same time as a 182 cup.

Oh and they go round top gears test track quicker than the 182 and the same as a CTR.

Have you driven 1 freddie boy, because the proofs there to back me up that your talking out of your hoop;)
Mr T style

"shut your mouth fool!!!!!!"

yes Michelle aka Hippychick (good mate of mine) owns the REVO test car! (270odd bhp)

Its a barge!!!! even she says so!

Ive driven it several times on track, its a boring car (and yes i can drive)

dont get me started on 182s, i hate those even more than LCRs!!!! Body roll anyone???

"oooh ive got fancy tyres, Renault say theyre the best etc etc etc" - load of bolloxs

i had BAD brake fade after 3 laps in a 182, yet we managed 350 miles around Bruntingthorpe in 1 day in Yozzas cup??? go figure

Clio 200 Cup

They do not handle like a barge. They have an immense amount of grip but due to the intended refinement of the car, when this grip is exceeded they do tend to understeer quite a bit (which incidentally can be cheaply fixed and tailored to your requirements). Fair enough they are not the most adjustable or pinpoint handling cars, but to say they handle like a barge is just and injustice.

[Edited by stevoversteer on 06 February 2005 at 5:12pm]

LCR mate. I went from a Cup to a LCR and havent looked back. The Cup undoubtedly handles better, but in the real world ( ie not driving on twisties ) , a standard LCR will out drag a Cup, and has a good spec ( 18s, Brembos, Climate, Tracker, 6CD ). Also looks better and doesnt come with the Boy Racer tag , or Clio = girls car comments from people who dont know a Cup from a 1.2. £500 for a Revo remap and extra 45 bhp in a car that already has top notch brakes and bullet proof engine has got to be worth it. Good build quality and Audi A3 dash. You can pick 225s up for 14k . No brainer to me!!

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member

get the LCR spending 3k on mods is a lot, with the LCR it is a fresh car and you wont get bored with it as quickly and it does look nice.

as for body roll i dont think i would worry too much i dont think my 182 has too much body roll (on the road) if it was used on the track a lot (i.e more than the road) i would have it like a touring car slammed and flat through corners but its not.