ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Camera

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Just bought a Canon 350D Digital SLR!

Just bought myself a Canon EOS 350D. :D Should be here on Saturday, just in time for shakedown at Brands Hatch for BTCC. :approve:

Linky

More Linky

Old camera for sale next week. Fuji S7000, 6mth old.

Last edited:

Lee

BMW M2C
I was looking at one of the 400m lenses the other day, then decided that over a grand is a bit excesive just to get even better track day pictures.

The kit lens is next to useless except for basic stuff Si.

i got one for my birthday, will be taking it away this weekend to the New Forest, so shall take some snaps...

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Track stuff will be looking at a Sigma lens which is around 300m as far as I recall. Will get it in a month or so.

The 18-55 will do for now, I had the option of a bundle with a 200m lens but I wasn't impressed with the specs.

It should do some good pics to start with, I have a good spot at Brands where you really don't need any Zoom to make good pics.

106 GTi
Lee said:
I was looking at one of the 400m lenses the other day, then decided that over a grand is a bit excesive just to get even better track day pictures.

The kit lens is next to useless except for basic stuff Si.

Was looking at the same one. If you buy a good L glass canon lens you will have it for life is my thinking!

106 GTi
DarthCake said:
Track stuff will be looking at a Sigma lens which is around 300m as far as I recall. Will get it in a month or so.

The 18-55 will do for now, I had the option of a bundle with a 200m lens but I wasn't impressed with the specs.

It should do some good pics to start with, I have a good spot at Brands where you really don't need any Zoom to make good pics.

You should be okay, everywhere I have been track wise with mine so far, the kit lens has not had enough reach.

Got a Sigma 70-300 lens myself which I have been using for most of the m/sport stuff so far.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Hi guys, sorry for the slow reply. I got it from Amazon as correctly pointed out up there. Paid £5 for quicker delivery. It came to £497 I think, thats in black with the 18-55mm lens kit.

A4 Avant
Lee, I might have a trip to the bullring at lunchtime then, see what they can offer.

This is the one I liked the look of:
http://www.jessops.com/search/viewproduct.cfm?product=CANEOS350DS1855K&BRAND=&CONTINUE=false&FEATS=&FIRSTPRICE=&KEYWORD=&LEVEL=&MODELNUMBER=&NEWQUERY=True&NODE=0&ORD=ASC&ORDERBY=&QUANTITY=10&RECENT=0&REFINE=&SEARCH_FOR=&SEARCHNODE=0&SEARCHURL=dointellisearch.cfm&SECONDPRICE=&SHOWCASEID=&STARTROW=1&SUBS=&WORD_SEARCH=N&

What does "USM" mean after the lens model code?

This is the cheapest I could find:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007R6CHQ/ref=ed_soc_6_6_1/202-1668175-1522226

Is it worth spending the extra £100 for the bag and USM lens? I can't see any other differences between the two deals!

I'll need to get a larger memory card too. What size has everyone else got? I've seen a 1gig Kingston CF card for about £60.

mine was a gift, but i think it was 600 which is a bit pricey, but included a Lowesoft Pro Case/bag and a 1gb Platinum Lexar CF card.

106 GTi
USM relates to the motor used by the lens Autofocus

A big card is a must, and a fast speed one for trackday work. I have a couple of 1GB fuji ones.

A4 Avant
Rich, I have just been reading about USM on the Canon site. It relates to (as you said) the type of motor in the lens. Non USM are DC motors instead. Question is, is it worth the extra money and shall I notice any difference? Especially as it's been said the standard lens isn't up too much. Should I go for the cheaper lens and get a better telephoto one?

So many choices!!!:dead:

106 GTi
The 18-55 Kit lens is ok for normal shots, I would get it anyway and look into a decent zoom. A lot of people on here said to stick to Canon lens, but they are fairly dear.

Worth looking at Tamron or Sigma as some cheaper alternatives.

I went for the 75 + 300 Sigma lens and it works well.

IMG_8380.jpg

A4 Avant
Thats a great photo Rich, yours too R20GRC the kinda thing I'm aiming for. I think i might just go for the cheaper camera and lens from Amazon then spec a better telephoto lens.

On the Jessop site they list two different fittings for the sigma range onto canon cameras. Canon AF or Canon FD. Which is the correct one for the 350.

A4 Avant
I'd just printed that one off Rich! LOL. Where was yours from?

R20GRC, thats a great price for that Mem card, I'd missed the link before!

Lee

BMW M2C
I got a Canon 90-300mm with mine. No idea exactly which one as they didn't have a lot of stock at the time so I just went with what was in.

Here's some pics I took at Donington the other week with it: Click

And one not resized: Click

Last edited:
  106 GTi
Nige mine was from the London Camera Exchange, as the price matched some internet deals, threw in a memory card and meant I could walk into a shop and try it all out first.

A4 Avant
Well...... visited Jessops. Spoke to a guy that was very knowledgable! He was trying to sell me a Nikon D70S. Slightly out of my price range once I've added a telephoto lens.

I like the 350d. I'm not going to bother with the USM version of the lenses.

I'm also toying with the idea of buying the additonal battery/hand grip. This made the camera feel a much nicer weight.

The sales guy also recommended the sigma 70-300 APO over the canon lens, he said the build quality and image quality is better than the equivalent canon model. Hmmmm.

So I think i'm going for:

350d form ebuyer - £480.00
70 - 300 APO Sigma lens - £180.00
2gig sandisk extreme 3 CF card - £75.00

Can anyone recommend a carry case for it when out and about?