ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Build - Thoughts

Oh for sure. I just hope Crysis 2 has the minerals to make me need to rebuild my machine. I suspect it won't, but I can only hope.

Monaro VXR
Good luck then. Can't imagine it being easier than the first one to run.

And the first one is still a hardware killer. Might want to save up for a tri sli 580GTX rig. As that is the only thing that will get 60FPS out of it at max details....maybe.

Even two 580GTX's in SLI at that res only clock around 40FPS in Crysis1. When the settings are all maxed out bar AA. Mental how it can still bring down such high end hardware

Yes I know, but we don't yet know if Crysis 2 is going to be such a strain. Do we?

I have a feeling it's going to be a console game with some additions for PC. I hope I'm wrong.

Evo 5 RS
yeah I thought that, I was taking the piss out of my mate for ages for raving about it. Then I played through Black Ops with it and haven't looked back since. Just not the same without it

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
well I can't really argue with that having never tried it, but at this point in time it's probably better (cheaper) if I don't ;)

Monaro VXR
lol 2560x1600 in 3D? GL! Wouldn't want to play it without tbh..:D

I don't even think that's possible at the moment. The monitors and hardware just don't exist in the main stream yet. Plus cabling would be a big issue, as the bandwidth use would be massive. Much more than dual link DVI can output.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Can I run 3 monitors off 1 580? (2 x DVI , 1 x HDMI)

Looking around the net seems to suggest not and I need the second one.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
It refuses to display out to 3 monitors though, no biggy I'll just wait for the second card.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Yeah, it refuses to display anything on the 3rd monitor.

I'm just going through ordering a new desk and cabinet and will have a whole new setup to accomodate the size of the PC & 3 monitors, will try and get some pics once it's sorted.

But it will be a 20" Widescreen, 27" Widescreen, 20" Widescreen config.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Ok, now I'm finished.

Things just got interesting:

Complete1.jpg

Complete2.jpg

Complete3.jpg

Corsair 800D Case
Corsair AX1200 PSU
ASUS Rampage III Extreme Motherboard
Intel i7 950 CPU
12GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz Memory
Corsair Airflow & Airflow Pro Memory Fans/LED Readout
2 x EVGA Hydro Copper 2 FTW 580 GTX (Watercooled) SLI
Creative Labs XFi Titanium Soundcard
2 x Corsair Force 120GB SSD HDDs
2 x Western Digital 150GB 10,000rpm Raptor HDDs
2 x Western Digital 1TB HDDs
LG Blu-Ray Reader/Writer
Lamptron FC5 V2 Fan Controller
XSPC 360mm Radiator
EK Supreme HF (Nickel/Plex) CPU Waterblock
EK Rampage III Extreme Motherboard Waterblock (Nickel/Plexi)
4 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Fans (1450rpm)
iandh Stealth Reservoir 225
Laing D5 Pump with Bitspower Mod Top (V2)
Bitspower Compression Fittings
Tygon R3603 Tubing (Clear)
Feser One Fluid (Red)
XSPC LCD Water Temp Readout
MDPC-X Black Sleeved Cables
MDPC-X Screws, Fixtures & Fittings etc

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS
very nice

You see the Vertex 3 drives are on their way now? 550mb/s

Gutted as I only bought my 2's not long ago

Last edited:
  DCi
I'm building a new machine tomorrow night (not as exciting as above :rasp: )and need something to test it, recomendations? (what 3d mark is the standard? I've never used it before :eek:)

That's a lot of corsair stuff inside one box, given the 360mm RAD & Dominator DHX yada yada... overclocked? Very nice cable routing also, looks great! Also may I ask what you've done with the HDDs, presumably RAID 0 SSDs for OS, RAID 0 Vraptors for programs & the 1TB for backup/storage? Or have you just RAID 1'd each drive?

Iain187 - 3Dmark06 is the most "meaningful" standard as everyone knows what sort of numbers you should get with which hardware combos - however 3Dmark11 has now been out a few months so it is definitely getting adopted & will be much prettier to look at if you've got a DX11 card (HD5000 or GTX400 series or above if you're the gaming type) PCmark Vantage 11 is also popular for those who want to get "productivity" scores but who builds a PC to number crunch in excel 0.4 seconds faster than their old system... :p HDtune is a great benchmark for getting hard drive figures, but only really interesting if you've got an SSD or a RAID setup etc.

In short, go for 3Dmark11. The end. Oh also one more thing, on the paid-for versions of 3D mark you can change lots of settings, but everyone just uses the default settings on all versions of 3Dmark.

Last edited:
  DCi
3D mark 11 told me P3654 3DMarks

I don't know if that's good or bad - it said i have an unapproved gfx driver but it's a newer version than their approved version so sod them

well that was fun :/