ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Brake/Wheel setup feels a bit iffy

I fitted the Brembo conversion to my Trophy and ended up needing 5mm spacers as well as Cup offset Turinis to clear the spokes, so overall my car is 10mm wider at the front on each side. I've also just come from pretty bald tyres to brand new Pirellis all round. It has camber bolts too but they haven't been altered from how they were before. The suspension has stayed the same.

The handling feels a lot less sharp than before I changed all the above, the turn-in seems to have disappeared when it used to put me in my seat, and I have to turn the wheel a fair amount compared to before in order to get a decent corner. If you sway the wheel side-to-side then it feels a bit like a boat compared to how it was!

The thing is, my mate has 182 with the same brake setup and the same Cup Turinis (just doesn't have the 5mm spacers like I do) and his is as sharp as anything. Handles really really well.

Nothing else has changed so I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what could have happened. Surely the wider track wouldn't have changed the handling from Trophy to Titanic?

I fitted the Brembo conversion to my Trophy and ended up needing 5mm spacers as well as Cup offset Turinis to clear the spokes, so overall my car is 10mm wider at the front on each side. I've also just come from pretty bald tyres to brand new Pirellis all round. It has camber bolts too but they haven't been altered from how they were before. The suspension has stayed the same.

The handling feels a lot less sharp than before I changed all the above, the turn-in seems to have disappeared when it used to put me in my seat, and I have to turn the wheel a fair amount compared to before in order to get a decent corner. If you sway the wheel side-to-side then it feels a bit like a boat compared to how it was!

The thing is, my mate has 182 with the same brake setup and the same Cup Turinis (just doesn't have the 5mm spacers like I do) and his is as sharp as anything. Handles really really well.

Nothing else has changed so I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what could have happened. Surely the wider track wouldn't have changed the handling from Trophy to Titanic?
What make where the pretty bald tyres ?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You've altered the scrub radius geometry, which is generally a bad thing to do, although you've not gone far over the oe setup tbh.

What's your tracking like? You may need to experiment with different settings to get the front end feel back, and it may even require some toe in.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Take the spacers off. I fitted mine to et38 wheels (5mm spacers). Drives loads better without them.

What make where the pretty bald tyres ?
The same make :( Pirelli Pzero Nero.

You've altered the scrub radius geometry, which is generally a bad thing to do, although you've not gone far over the oe setup tbh.

What's your tracking like? You may need to experiment with different settings to get the front end feel back, and it may even require some toe in.
The tracking will be very slightly out and does need doing but it felt fine before and handled great. Experimenting sounds expensive! Haha :(

Take the spacers off. I fitted mine to et38 wheels (5mm spacers). Drives loads better without them.

He's on Megane 250 calipers (I think) which are wider than the 225 items, so he can't take the spacers off mate. He could run some 3mm items though.
I'm on the 225 calipers but for some reason 1 of my wheels had about 1mm clearance like they all do, and 1 wheel was touching! :(

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The same make 😧 Pirelli Pzero Nero.

The tracking will be very slightly out and does need doing but it felt fine before and handled great. Experimenting sounds expensive! Haha 😧

I'm on the 225 calipers but for some reason 1 of my wheels had about 1mm clearance like they all do, and 1 wheel was touching! 😧
Interesting. They looked like 250 calipers in your pic. What brackets are you on?

Are they definitely 100% cup turinis? It just doesn't make sense why they don't have clearance, because on mine I've got a f**k ton.
Yeah I double checked the rears and they are stamped 38.5 :( they've been powdercoated but powdercoat isn't that thick! Just on one side too?

My mate has Brembos with Cup Turinis and has the 1 or 2mm clearance one side of mine had. But his are even on both sides. Have you got the PMS brackets too?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah I double checked the rears and they are stamped 38.5 😧 they've been powdercoated but powdercoat isn't that thick! Just on one side too?

My mate has Brembos with Cup Turinis and has the 1 or 2mm clearance one side of mine had. But his are even on both sides. Have you got the PMS brackets too?
Just thought - you're on the earlier PMS brackets. Mine are the later design ones, and these had some clearance designed into them, so that could well be where your problem is stemming from mate.

image.jpeg

They are these ones if you can make them out. Are they different to yours?

Nope they're the same as mine! I thought you'd posted a pic recently of the brackets you had and it was one of the old style. Wrong again! 🙈
I was hoping that was my solution! So it's a proper mystery why both sides of my car are different. Typically it has to be mine! It might have been someone elses pics you'd seen lol.

The Pure Motorsport ones. I'm a bit gutted I've had to use the spacers due to just one side touching the caliper but there was nothing else for it!
Undo the bottom ball joint bolts i am fairly sure theirs some give in them it maybe be all you need for clearance.
Are both the wishbones genuine Renault cup items ?
Have the ball joints ever been changed ?

Undo the bottom ball joint bolts i am fairly sure theirs some give in them it maybe be all you need for clearance.
Are both the wishbones genuine Renault cup items ?
Have the ball joints ever been changed ?

Genuinely, how does that work?

The wheel is a circle and the wheel bearing that it's attached to is in the centre of that circle. The calliper is placed relative to the wheel bearing, not relative to the balljoint. You could put the balljoint anywhere and it would have no impact on calliper clearance - case in point Northloopcup's RC correction kit moves the balljoint by 2 inches or so... Don't mean to come across cranky.

Genuinely, how does that work?

The wheel is a circle and the wheel bearing that it's attached to is in the centre of that circle. The calliper is placed relative to the wheel bearing, not relative to the balljoint. You could put the balljoint anywhere and it would have no impact on calliper clearance - case in point Northloopcup's RC correction kit moves the balljoint by 2 inches or so... Don't mean to come across cranky.
Just testing, the cheapest option would be to sand a little off the brake pads or go for a different brand.

Not the pads hitting... whatever you think the pad can hit.[/QUOTE]
Just read the instructions on the pure motor sport site.
Whats wrong with putting washers inbetween the mating faces of the rear of the calliper mounting points and the hub faces