ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New ATI graphics card.. help please

Im turning to trusty clio sport for advice to see if i can get any help

Ive upgraded my old nakerd minimum mb onboard memory card for a nice new MSI / ATI R5750 MD1G...

Swapped the cards over, deleted old nvidia drivers, running the new drivers and "ATI's catalyst control center" and it also has the MSI afterburner program, but i dont know how to over clock so im leaving that alone

anyway im running one monitor on VGA and one on VGA>DVI because theres one VGA, one DVI...

all fine, screens working, using it now, when im launching a game on the main screen, i can see if i have wmplayer playing music it reverts to win7 basic... also trying to minimize its freezing, also under slight stress its sort of glitching

last night whilst i had it on high performance which i didnt realise, i tried to watch a program on WMPlayer and it just froze, one screen white, one red with lines through...

a forced restart and having the performance on quality its ok... but im still having the problems i just listed, not happy for a new card... i know im doing something wrong and i dont know what settings to apply,

Current settings for both screens through catalyst:

Standard settings: (custom settings in use)

Anti aliasing: application managed

anisotropic filtering: application managed

catalyst A.I.: Standard

mipmap detail level: Quality

wait for vertical refresh: Off, unless application specifies

anti aliasing mode: adaptive multi sample AA

openGL settings: Tripple buffering (un-ticked)

Monitors... on one of them i could only change to 2 refresh rates, on another (cant remeber which there was a variety of them

Untitled-1-5.gif

Untitled-2-1.gif

tell me what im doing wrong please

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Is the card getting hot? Seems a little strange why it would just hang. In the graphics tab at the top of the ATi CCC, there should be an Overdrive option in the GPU section (iirc). Even if you don't use it, it should show you how hot that card is getting.

Have you tried enabling EDID on both monitors as this attempts to liaise with the graphics card as to what they can support.

Is the P193W monitor and Iiyama one?

D.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
ATi drivers can be a bit of a bugger!
Tbh with the computer hanging, and one white screen and the other with red lines, it sounds like the memory on the card is duff.

Don't take that as gospel though, I'm more than likely wrong..

EDIT: As Darren has said, temps could be an issue! Try downloading RealTemp

M3 CSL, GT4 & SL
I suspect the card is faulty. I would return it before too late DOA should be a swap out rather than waiting for it to be repaired.

If you want to try something assuming you haven't already get the latest drivers from AMD or MSI website

Yeah tbh my impressions of the drivers and software isnt amazing

Im wondering as well if the card is overheating, the fan is on auto, quite quiet but it does kick in if i launch a simple game... reseting the heatsink with AS5 would be good but i dont want to muck about with the card atm incase it needs sending back... its working fine though just on some stress is getting the odd jerky few frames, and hanging

are my monitor refresh rates ok? i dont know what settings to have

heres a screen print of the afterburner, all on standard, was going to attempt some mild over clocking but i need to get it working normally first!

Untitled-3-1.gif

Edit i have the latest drivers installed

Edit: also the first screen grab it being 1600x1200 is wrong i both are 1440x900 settings on both screens now... just unsure on refresh rates.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
it is normal for windows to revert to "basic" in game with certain games, i wouldn't worry about it as there is nothing you can do short of rewriting your own driver code.

Do the other issues occur whilst a game is playing/in background?

Ah right okay, erm i was playing angry birds haha...

before on my old graphics card, no problems, now imagine when a animation scrolls from right to left it can be a bit juddery ever so slightly,

logging into my win7 account after its locked it looks a bit ripply on the blue welcome screen, again ever so slightly... refresh rate of the screens wrong?

But in the game i press win key + D all the time to go back to desktop before, now it hangs and i have to Alt+cntrl+del to get into task manager, i dont have to end the game but thats the way i have to get to desktop now

Edit tried to play it now and win key + D it minimised fine...

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
The refresh rate should be fine if the monitor support's it, do you get any artefacts when gaming ? tearing or mis-coloured sections of the screen ?

Ive got both screens on refresh rates of 85Hz

If im in the game playing i can minimize it, if im at the menu i cant it freezes and i have to altcntrldel

No tearing or miss coloured bits, the moving things seem ever so slightly off not flowing as well as they did before

generally its fine, but the game is very light stress wise imo, my old crappy card handled it fine, im not sure if its settings or the card... im going to put it on high performance now and run the game... see what happens

ill report back

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Ive got both screens on refresh rates of 85Hz

If im in the game playing i can minimize it, if im at the menu i cant it freezes and i have to altcntrldel

No tearing or miss coloured bits, the moving things seem ever so slightly off not flowing as well as they did before

generally its fine, but the game is very light stress wise imo, my old crappy card handled it fine, im not sure if its settings or the card... im going to put it on high performance now and run the game... see what happens

ill report back

85Hz?
Isn't the norm 60Hz?

th_VID00006-20110608-1508.gif

^ thats the problem im having (that was me restarting the level, doesnt matter if i click it once, many times in a row, still happens) and also the problem of it hanging.) this is just one game but i dont play any others lol... just hooked on this, i tried 60hz just now, made no difference

Evo 5 RS
turn Catalyst A.I off, it's a crock of s**t. I refuse to use ATi now tbh. Drivers have always been an issue.

I'd imagine Angry Birds would be the type of game to flip out with A.I enabled..

Does sound like the cards duff, however try the Omega drivers for your card..they've been known to fix a few issues

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Turning that off lets me minimize in the menu, and its not on basic when i minimize, so thats a step forward, cheers mate

I have nothing against ATI... yet but i used Nvidia twice before with no problems... i wouldnt have even bothered with the programs if windows would sort itself out? if i installed just the driver would the catalysy controll center have to come with? or is it needed as windows wont sort itself out perfectly?

Still having the game refresh problem

Evo 5 RS
You don't have to install the control center however I'd recommend you keep it

If it were me I'd uninstall the driver completely, then install the omega driver - see how you get on.

This is all assuming however that you've not just used the drivers on the disc, and checked on the AMD website for the current drivers? ;)

I installed it using the disc... then downloaded the update and updated on top

shall i uninstall the cd version and just install the newer version on my desktop?

whats the omega driver? the newer one?

Cheers for the help

Ahh... this just happened, like i said in the first post i think... i was watching a program in WMP, and put angry birds on, a few mins in... got the red and black/white screen, no lines down this time

but my sound on my speakers turned into a buzz

Overheating? the fan didnt go crazy, i only have a heat sink fan and the gpu fan but its pretty beefy and could definatly handle the heat i think

DSC_0385.gif

Id avoid using a DVI adapter if possible. VGA cable to VGA on monitor and card, DVI cable for the other monitor. Probably not it but is your PSU powerful enough to support the new card?

Evo 5 RS
5750 PSU requirements:

450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended

RMA it tbh

One is vga straight into the vga port, the other is vga using a dvi port adapter to the dvi port, a good adapter not cheap, the quality of graphics is good, i think its just the actual card being the problem

the heatsink at the moment isnt hot to the touch but im not stressing it, just watching a program

My power supply is a corsair 450w

I dont thin its adapter problems, must be either the heatsink on crap thermal paste/pad?? could reseat it but dont really want to, or like people are saying the card

Will be pissed if i have to send this card back, got it as a great deal £55 delivered from novatech, found the deal on hotdealsuk

Bought a 2nd hand nvidia 1gb one on ebay before and it was fauly

Ironically my cheapo nvidia GT card with i think 156mb onboard memory has been the easiest minus of late the blank refreshing screens, hense the new card

want the onboard graphics memory so it didnt eat my mobo memory when using photoshop etc

Got the 6 pin going to the card

only running 1 main IDE drive, 2 slave SATA drives 2 are samsungs, one is a WD eco green so i would have thought there is enough power?

I will try uninstalling the software and re installing the new driver later

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
156Mb? Very odd value, probably 128Mb!

I don't understand it, your PSU is of good quality being Corsair, not some cheapo crap, and to the right wattage.

It cannot be PSU related. I would say RMA it, as something clearly isn't right!

Haha yeah your right, got that one muddled up

yeah i think the same, the psu is good quality and of a decent power, i dont have a lot of s**t running, 2 fans, no silly lights or extra fans, 1 cd drive... i could go on but should be more than enough power

the auto fan seems to kick in but im thinking sometimes it needs to kick in more and its not, and its overheating possibly causing the screens

will try the newer driver install and then have to RMA it, pain in the arse!

M3 CSL, GT4 & SL
will try the newer driver install and then have to RMA it, pain in the arse!

Yep no point mucking around get a new one, its not right. I think 7 or 14 days is norm for DOA. Otherwise you might have a long wait whilst they send it back to MSI for test/repair

Cheers, only recieved it yesterday so still plenty of time, im using the computer now, watching something, its fine at the mo.

ill try the newer drivers and report back.

thanks for the help so far.

Right uninstalled afterburner and disk version of catalyst and drivers

re isntalled with the newer version from online

played the game and had a video playing, within seconds of playing i got a white and black screen, i can hear my CPU fan whiring to keep up but not sure if the fan on the GPU is speeding up

doesnt seem hot... so got to be sent back?

Pissed off, old card in, reinstall the drivers which i now have to find, send back the card and find another card...

Any suggestions for a good card... good on board memory please? dual dvi or vga would be good have a thing with the one dvi one vga

I pasted my first post and the pictures and video on bit-tech just on the offchance, someone said check there both on 1440x900 which they where, make sure both are on 75Hz, one was on 75Hz one was on 60Hz, so made sure they where both right then clicked the edid boxes which someone said would be the problem and i made sure those where now ticked, applied and restarted.

Just ran a film on WMP, loaded photoshop and various other things to stress it, and played angry birds, perfect now... seems to be fixed, fingers crossed... hopefully its fixed now!

The power supply is apparently more than enough power, so looks like the edid and refresh settings had stopped it crashing!

Thanks for the help everyone

Ah... well it was working perfect, passed 2 benchmark tests, then i restarted, the first monitor resorted to the wrong resolution and refresh rate because i changed a performance tab when trying another harder benchmark

i didnt realise this at the time, so put it back, but when i put the first monitor back it wouldnt let me tick EDID because the screen said not supported in all the boxes still, so i had to leave EDID unticked and do what i wanted of 1440x900 @75Hz (edid unticked), applied... all fine, played the game again... this is when i got bored and tried the demo on 3Dmark06, clicked demo and put a few stress settings up a bit, ran it and watched it... after a few mins of the demo i got a purple and yellow screen!

Now im baffed, i got all confident i had it fixed and just wanted to be sure, now im back to square one, i have both monitors with newer drivers being recognised but screen one on catalyst still isnt... saying unsupported in all the boxes, the quest continues...

I think the problem might be overheating as someone has said so im going to download a temp monitor then demo it... im just rambling but opinions would be good... all this over a faffing graphics card!

Windows will almost always revert to a basic non "aero" mode when gaming as you don't need the start bar and the "aero" mode actually uses the gpu which would essentially slow down the game.

Right, i just loaded 3dmark06, clicked on demo like i did last night in stead of run 3dmark

changed a few random things like i did last night... clicking the demo button the standard resolution was 1280x1024? changed that to my screen size 1440x900

then changed anti aliasing quality to 8x just thinking that would be ok... then changed texture filtering to anisotropic to 5... again thinking it would be fine (i dont know what im doing or what the settings mean i.e. if the card could take it, i thought it should tbh?)... Clicked run and let it do its thing... this is when i got purple and orange screens...

So thats where i left it last night, today i downloaded argus temp monitor and ran that on the second screen, did the same demo setttings, the card only went from 49 to 54c temp and i got 2 black screens... no way out, but to hard restart...

Any clues? think im going to return this now, could well be the first monitor not playing ball or the fact ones vga and another dvi with an adapted, didnt want that in the first place but might not be the problem

STANDARD
standard.gif

SETTINGS TRIED
changed.gif

Evo 5 RS
your card is not really capable of performing at 8x FSAA with a decent frame rate. the black screen is yet another driver issue...quite a well known one

If I were you I would just chop the thing in as faulty and replace it with a 460GTX or a 560...

Just a thought, you may want to just disable Aero entirely, I know for a fact the older generation 4XXX and 3XXX range suffered with major issues with Power Play. which is an embedded feature which essentially controls 2d and 3d clocks when in and out of games. What used to happen is the card would randomly switch to 2d clocks when in game causing shocking frame rate issues. I'd just switch to Windows Basic permanently...

try the bloody omega drivers!

Cheers for the replys boys, yeah the settings i applied where just to stress, i dont know what they do but i knew a few clicks would be a starter for a test, i hate the card now, i hate the interface for controlling the monitors,

Nickson- I think i will, definatly going back to the green team