ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 2010 Macbook Pro 13"

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've heard negative things about the fact it's using the same processor from 2007. But the fact remains that processor is still fast (perhaps not by todays FAST standards).

I went to the Apple store today,

Basically the deal is £29~ a month for 3 years (I'd prefer to use a 0% credit card but tbh my rule is no more credit cards.. ever)

So it ends up being about £1060 (with the education discount). Just wondering if anyone else has one (or similar). I don't want to play new games, the most intensive thing I want to try I think is Eve Online, the rest will just be web browsing, casual movie editing, maybe a bit of Command and Conquer etc.

I am uber tempted to buy one tomorrow morning, I'm even jailbreaking my iPhone to get MyWi on there to browse at work lol.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Might aswell of bought my £400 2007 model in the classifieds tbh

I wouldn't buy a new macbook that isnt i5/i7, it will come soon to the 13".

BMW M4; S1000 RR
You could say that about anything though, it's got a newer graphics chip (albeit shared memory) bigger HD (not a biggie I know) brighter screen and better battery. And it's new :)

I've got an 09 one. 'Base' spec 13" and it's awesome.

Just because it's not i5/7 doesn't mean it's not any good.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Just been reading this http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/04/why-the-13-macbook-pro-didnt-get-a-core-i5-upgrade.ars

Going to get one. Admittedly the screen is compact, but that's what I need in a notebook anyway (the other reason, besides it costing £1500, for avoiding the 15"). And when it's at home I understand you can just plug it into any monitor or HDMI tv (with the right cable) and then all you need is a mouse and keyboard.

My first Mac and the first thing I'm going to do is install windows :eek:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Dont get me wrong, it is still a good computer. My almost 3 year old one never missed a beat but apple will probably release the newer processor sooner rather than later (although that is pure speculation) and then (hopefully) it will still be a 'current' model for 3 years.

My opinion of course, if like revels I wanted the macbook last year I would have gone for it but at this moment in time I'd hold fire.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Dont get me wrong, it is still a good computer. My almost 3 year old one never missed a beat but apple will probably release the newer processor sooner rather than later (although that is pure speculation) and then (hopefully) it will still be a 'current' model for 3 years.

My opinion of course, if like revels I wanted the macbook last year I would have gone for it but at this moment in time I'd hold fire.

Did you read that article? I'm no Apple guru but this being the 2010 model do you really think there will be a new one soon?

MBP's only had a refresh a month or two back. Got another year before any changes come to those I expect. Certainly won't be this year.

I bought mine in November when everyone on MacRumors was saying don't buy. Updates coming early Jan. Then it was late Jan. In the end it was Middle of April. You can wait forever but there won't be any updates to the current ones for a fair while. I'm glad I didn't wait 6months. Mine is perfectly capable. Love it.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Did you read that article? I'm no Apple guru but this being the 2010 model do you really think there will be a new one soon?

Yep, they are often updated. My first MB was updated just months after I bought it and I got it when they had just refreshed the range. I was well pissed, luckily when it was damaged the insurance swapped it for the newer model :)

Whatever you decide you will love it :)

Edit: Maybe they don't update like they did back then then :(

Whatever you buy is going to be updated at some stage. So many people seem to spend their lives waiting for things on MacRumors. Very rarely do they tell you it's a good time to buy anything.

Take the iPad for example. It's been out a month or two. Give it 4 months and they'll be telling people not to buy because an update might be out 'soon'

I waited a f**king long time for a Mac mini update that never came. Not playing that waiting game anymore. Obviously you don't buy an iPhone in May or iPods in August, and do a bit of research, but don't take something as gospel that there will be an update 'soon' because 99% of the time, they're wrong. (Don't mean you, Jenic)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Problem with the macrumors site is its based on statistics. In 2006 there were 3 updates but only 1 last year so it obviously cant be predicted on statistics that well. If you look at the size of the updates I can see them doing a cheeky update to the models that didn't get as much in April.

But like you say you could wait for ages

OP - dont forget the ipod deal :)

Aye. Just depends how they're feeling really.

You can never guarantee things. I'm yet to see something updated more than once in any year, but I might be wrong.

Oh and did that include AppleCare? It's only about 40 quid as a student. Silly not to have it at that price.

Mk2 Golf GTI
I bought the 13" a couple of weeks ago and it's awesome. Battery life's killer, the screen is sharp and it's really fast. The size is good too for what I want it for.

I use it in my DJ setup and a bigger screen would be nicer but it's not a necessity.

GEt it, you wont regret the decision!

The majority of the people that complain about the specs probably never even push it anywhere near its limits anyway.

DMS

A thirsty 172
It's also worth mentioning that the Core 2 Duo processor in the 13" MBP is actually faster (proven) than the equivalent i3.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
For one reason and another I didn't manage to get one in store.

I'm now considering getting a 15" just for the anti-glare screen though, but £600 extra :dapprove: I suppose you could call it an investment lol.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
I dont find the screen on my macbook pro a problem at all. Paid £900 from currys using a discount voucher for the 2010 version. I dual boot it with windows 7 x64 and it is nearly as quick as my AMD quad core on my desktop so dont let the processor put you off. It's a great piece of kit

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Sorry I didn't reply to your XBL message, Jeff.

IMO, the 13" is fine if you're only using it for browsing the net, emails etc.

I bought the 15" since I needed a machine that could do my graphics work on the go. Mine's a Core 2 Duo. I save all the heavy duty stuff for my i7 iMac.

I wouldn't get the matte screen either, it makes it look rubbish, and there's no real benefit unless you're using it in the World's brightest room. The matte version gets a horrible silver border around the LCD. Ugh.

And people complaining about the Core 2 Duo? Hush. It's a great processor, just because it's only two-core doesn't make it obsolete. Especially in a notebook.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
No problem mate, I went for the 15" with the hi-res anti-glare option. Not sure I could live with the reflections during the daytime tbh, horses for courses though. Ordered online today hopefully it won't take too long!!!

i5 is a nice bonus I suppose even though I agree the C2D is no slouch.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
No problem mate, I went for the 15" with the hi-res anti-glare option. Not sure I could live with the reflections during the daytime tbh, horses for courses though. Ordered online today hopefully it won't take too long!!!

i5 is a nice bonus I suppose even though I agree the C2D is no slouch.

Good choice, you will be really surprised how much faster and cooler the i5 runs compared to the c2d, i was!

Go cry to your momma!
Good choice, you will be really surprised how much faster and cooler the i5 runs compared to the c2d, i was!

Are you kiddin'?

The C2D runs way cooler, even with the single fan in the 13"

My i5 almost burns my legs if I work it hard on my lap (loads of flash pron ;D)

and I currently have both, to compare..

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
i use my macbook outside in sunlight and the reflection is not an issue. hope you enjoy yours but IMO not worth the extra

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Let's hope so!!

tbh I'm looking forward to it immensely, it'll be faster than any desktop I've had the pleasure of using recently I'm sure about that. Just got to play the "gotta catch em all" game with accessories now :-\

dk

911 GTS Cab
Sorry I didn't reply to your XBL message, Jeff.

IMO, the 13" is fine if you're only using it for browsing the net, emails etc.

I bought the 15" since I needed a machine that could do my graphics work on the go. Mine's a Core 2 Duo. I save all the heavy duty stuff for my i7 iMac.

I wouldn't get the matte screen either, it makes it look rubbish, and there's no real benefit unless you're using it in the World's brightest room. The matte version gets a horrible silver border around the LCD. Ugh.

And people complaining about the Core 2 Duo? Hush. It's a great processor, just because it's only two-core doesn't make it obsolete. Especially in a notebook.

the i5 in the mac pro's is also the dual core version i believe;)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
the i5 in the mac pro's is also the dual core version i believe;)

Well spotted, but they have more virtual cores or something right?

I'm not going to pretend to be up to date with the new processors lol, but the benchmark speeds on the i5's wipe the floor with the C2D in most environments, that must count for something... £500 extra I'd f**king hope so too though.

dk

911 GTS Cab
there are quad core versions of the i5, just not in these, so it would depend on what they were using in the test i guess, most people would just see i5 tested, but i bet they would be testing the fastest ones.

i honestly don't know.

they do have turbo boost though, increasing the clock speed when needed and also hyperthreading (meaning the os will see 4 virtual cpu's from 2 cores) which can help with multitasking.

as said though, the core 2's are pretty fast anyway for anything you would need in a laptop.

Mk2 Golf GTI
So has anyone got a hardshell case for their MBP? I want to get one as its going to be used on the road and i'd hate to damage its beautiful (uni)body!

Recommendations?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Are you kiddin'?

The C2D runs way cooler, even with the single fan in the 13"

My i5 almost burns my legs if I work it hard on my lap (loads of flash pron ;D)

and I currently have both, to compare..

Really? My old c2d macbook used to get quite hot but my new i5 pro stays cool all the time.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Anyone got any experience of ordering Apple's online?

Is it really going to take 3 weeks to build and deliver my MBP?? It was shipped on Monday but the carrier hasn't been updated and it still says expected by 7th July.

DMS

A thirsty 172
If you buy a standard spec one they ship within 24 hours because they're stocked in the UK.
When I ordered mine I spec'd it up a bit. It took 6 days to turn up from China.