ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new 172 rear brakes - worth uprating

Clio 172 Ph2

Im changing my disc / pads all round and having just ordered uprated fronts, I cant help but wonder if its worth doing the same to the back or just buying standard Renault ones.

Theres not a huge price different and to be honest, I dont care about it anyway! Grooved + drilled (or spotted - to match the fronts) rear discs sounds a bit overkill but Ill do it if its not gonna have a negative effect on my braking.

Cheers.

Well it will do, solid discs will give a shorter stopping distance, but as were talking rear brakes..thats probably a few mm :p

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Im sorry about rob hes an idiot by trade and its not 5.30 yet.

Clio 172 Ph2

lol, I like the sound of having matching discs all round too.

Its just a shame so few places sell the rears to match what Ive ordered. I like to shop around and get the best price!

Clio 172 Ph2

no coz youll laugh and then ill feel bad and want to kill myself for buying them :p

ok..so I got the ebc turbo grooved ones.

tell me now if I should not get the same rears because theyre in my basket over at http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.comwww.ebcbrakesdirect.com !

Theyll cut up your pads a good un! I know theyre nice but apart from cooling advantages you should buy OE replacements instead. Not to mention theyre double the price..

If you do track work the best thing to do is get better pads/brake lines/brake fluid which will stop fade, it would be unlikely you will have problems with the discs. If so, go to Group N discs, which are still solid.

-Rob

[Edited by RobFenn on 19 May 2004 at 2:43pm]

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

They make sh*tloads of noise too.

Id get the drilled discs and ebc pads from k-tec.

Clio 172 Ph2

ok, well Ive already got the fronts on order from potn.com so its just the rears were talking about here.

By the sounds of it, you guys think I should just get Renault ones. (kind to brake pads and not noisy)

I realise the fronts will be noisy, and thats another reason I kinda wanted normal ones for the rear. I can help but think two sets would be mega loud!

Oh, well you may as just get matched rears. It looks a bit weird otherwise. I cant see it being any louder, noticeably anyway.

-Rob